Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antares

macrumors 68000
No one directly asked me to, but look at all the posts that say "Ooh, Apple's making a commercial!" or "Someone should have a telescope lens camera & take pictures." As of this post, there are about 470 posts, pretty much all saying that. Just ridiculous IMO. This is just like Star Trek/Star Wars fans.

So what? It's fun. We love our Apple products and we love our Star Trek and Star Wars stuff . What's wrong with that?

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
I just realized that Apple is telling us that the new iPhone will in fact have true GPS.

Apple has a habit of putting a little hint in the catch phrase used for different product releases. When they released the Macbook Air the slogan was "There is something in the air".

Now they are saying "A landmark event. In more ways than one". The "landmark" is referring to the true GPS in the new iPhone.

wwdc2008.jpg

But the "in more ways than one" is the catchphrase along with the subhead "Eveything Mac. Everything iPhone." It may have to do with the GPS addition, but there is also a dual (multiple) reference. I believe they are hinting at the brand new G3 iPhone with GPS ("Everything iPhone") and the redesigned MBPs ("Everything Mac") or (more likely) a combination of the best of both, the brand new iTab ("everything iPhone" and "Everything Mac" together ... tablet-like computer ... ala Newton ... only larger like a laptop). Land mark for 3G iPhone with GPS, landmark for complete redesign of MBP or landmark for the fantastic new tablet. JMO

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Why are there two Golden Gates Bridges in the WWDC poster? Last time I checked, there was only one. I thought it could be the SF-Oakland bridge, but there's no way since the SF-O isn't red and various other logistical problems. Has anyone brought this up?

The Golden Gate Bridge is a Landmark The poster is talking about "more ways than one", so they duplicated the "landmark" to parallel the catchphrase. I love Photoshop.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
So what? It's fun. We love our Apple products and we love our Star Trek and Star Wars stuff . What's wrong with that?

yes nothing wrong, really. However, I do notice myself an exaggeration for something that is so not exciting. It's an improved iPhone and it's been announced by Apple a year ago and it's coming as expected in June.

Evidently the range of people around here is nowadays more towards younger, more recent apple fans, which would make all of this more understanding.

I, for example begin to regret the time when Apple was really for a few, I like to say, "selected" guys (this is a bit of a cocky attitude I admit)....now it's becoming more and more a consumer's product company....all aboard !!!

Of course this does not take anything away from the very fact that I continue w/o a doubt to prefer Apple to anything else :)

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
But the "in more ways than one" is the catchphrase along with the subhead "Eveything Mac. Everything iPhone." It may have to do with the GPS addition, but there is also a dual (multiple) reference. I believe they are hinting at the brand new G3 iPhone with GPS ("Everything iPhone") and the redesigned MBPs ("Everything Mac") or (more likely) a combination of the best of both, the brand new iTab ("everything iPhone" and "Everything Mac" together ... tablet-like computer ... ala Newton ... only larger like a laptop). Land mark for 3G iPhone with GPS, landmark for complete redesign of MBP or landmark for the fantastic new tablet. JMO

i def think that the more ways than one refers to the combination of 2 :apple: products such as the multi-touch iphone screen etc and a macbook...thereby givin us the MacBook Touch, also it could be the gps addition but i dont think apple would make the whole wwdc slogan based upon somethin like gps which in my opinion is not going to be a major selling point seeing that nokia and many others already have these in place....although the gps could be added to more than just the iphone, it could be added to all the macbooks which is not really a good idea...but a landmark(gps 'from other users') in more than ONE....so other products...hmm nevr know really.

if i come up with anything more bizarre...i happily entertain u guys.:)

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
I, for example begin to regret the time when Apple was really for a few, I like to say, "selected" guys (this is a bit of a cocky attitude I admit)....now it's becoming more and more a consumer's product company....all aboard !!!

hope u guys dont hate me after this, but i TOTALLY AGREE....ALWAYS BEEN AN APPLE FAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE*

*if it becomes to common and every 2nd person has an apple, then i'll just be freakin pissed off, i hate having 'common' stuff.

jbaird77

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
My take on this (and yes I understand that its been said before)

I believe the film crew is just shooting for the new virtual store Apple store which is why there are Apple employees. There is no doubt that there will be a new iPhone announced June 9th, but they wouldnt go through all of the NY hassle to film a commercial for the iPhone. It has to be bigger than that.

Although the 5 + 4 boxes still confuse me...oh well :D

fdot

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
bridges

the two bridges are symbols for the two version of mac osx. one for the computer and one for the touch platform. thats the simplest solution

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
No way. Apple wouldn't shut down one of their biggest stores for over 12 hours to shoot one of those little guided tour things that they have been shooting in studios.

So what do you think it is then??? Why would they need to shoot in an Apple store and not a studio ever? Have they ever shot anything in an Apple store before? I can't recall anything.

I am a film maker and all I know is that was a pretty big and expensive production setup.

nsthreed

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
I bet steve jobs and all the apple peeps are just sitting in their chilling with a bud knowing they filmed a commercial weeks ago ;) this is to start drama :apple:

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Apple has at last one mock store in Cupertino that they use for training and internal video. Considering that usage of that is free, and it represents more peoples' local Apple stores, that's what they would use for the store tours. Taking into account the amount of time that they have for setup, production, and wrap at the cube (12 hours), there is no way they would get something like the virtual tours banged out. Setup with jib, lights and limited access (the single entrance) would take at least 2-4 hours, and wrap would be 1-2 hours, leaving them around 8 hours to shoot whatever they're shooting. They would not put that kind of time constraint on something as important, and long as the guided tours.

It's interesting to note that there's been no reports of actors or extras being on location. We know that there is talent somewhere (PA with blue shirts), but the fact that they're not making the store look filled is interesting. If it were, for example, an iPhone ad showing it's ability to video chat across the country (again: example), they would want to make the locations look natural and real. Instead, they're simply focusing on the store itself.

RobUM

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
I'll admit I haven't really read through the 19 pages, so this may have been stated...but haven't previous iPhone commercials been done simply with someone standing in front of a screen similar to the one in the picture?

EDIT:
For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRGSki2ydvw

Could be something like that...maybe?

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
Hello...It wasn't a commercial it was a documentary

You saw the Pixar Story.....

Now we will see the Apple Story......

That's what they were shooting, well part of it anyway. Not a commercial but more of a documentary of Apple, their successes, triumphs and blunders...

Just wait, you will see ;)

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
You saw the Pixar Story.....

Now we will see the Apple Story......

That's what they were shooting, well part of it anyway. Not a commercial but more of a documentary of Apple, their successes, triumphs and blunders...

Just wait, you will see ;)

:apple: ... Blunders?? :confused:

BLASPHEMER!!!! :eek:

Adisah

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
wwdc2008.jpg

If we stick with how we usually go by clues in Apple's posters released prior to events, I would speculate that the bridge might actually represent connection even though far away :rolleyes: ? I thought the video chat might be true and now I'm almost positive.

I've been following this story and thread like since it's started. It's like reading a book with a bookmark that keeps moving forward on its own and have no definite amount if pages. Anyways, for the bridges. I'm agreeing with the seperate bridges representing the two platforms. Mac OSX Touch and Mac OSX. Otherwise, known as the iPhone and the Mac. :apple:

Sardukar

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
What if the bridges are meant to be followed the other way - back to front? That would be two bridges converging = tablet pc :)

dstrauss

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
What if it simply a bridge to nowhere (oh man those tomatoes sure hurt ). :eek:

All kidding aside, this is shaping up to be a dual product intro (2 bridges) at a non-product event. The real question is why, and the answer, obviously, is the integration (from a programming standpoint) of the two platforms. Besides, they've got to beat the BB Bold and the Xperia X1 to market, and can't really afford to upset everyone who is currently buying in the "off to college" market with a design refresh in the fall right after dropping $1300-$2600 on junior's new computer only to obsolete it that fast.

My "two" cents...

HTwidescreen

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2004
While I can't get into too much detail I can confirm that several colleagues of mine did indeed shoot an iPhone commercial/spot/ad with David Fincher this past Saturday & Sunday on the Warner Bros. lot stage #15 in Burbank.
Black, 3G, business aps, "amazing set design" are some of the more generic/predictable comments I can share...

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
While I can't get into too much detail I can confirm that several colleagues of mine did indeed shoot an iPhone commercial/spot/ad with David Fincher this past Saturday & Sunday on the Warner Bros. lot stage #15 in Burbank.
Black, 3G, business aps, "amazing set design" are some of the more generic/predictable comments I can share...

For those of you out there who still have doubts there is a 3G iPhone coming out in 10 days. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.