Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Good thing he's already a former employee because posting that video would get him fired as a violation of company policy.

Also if he made it for his store, particularly on company time or using any company equipment then Apple owns it. So we'll probably see an update soon about how the mean evil people at Apple sent him a mean evil letter to take down the video and take it off his resume because he didn't have permission to do either.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Exactly. Amateur work right there. Wouldn't be surprised if it were edited with iMovie. Lot of shots were out of focus. Sorry, I'm just picky cause I'm in the pro field when it comes to this stuff.

Your not being picky. This is terrible!! I don't even think it gets the point across without the article.

Who cares if it was made in iMovie? iMovie can produce awesome videos, if someone with talent is using it. Good Video is about more than a MacPro and Final Cut.

Wickedgardengtp

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
This is terrible, get back to your minimum wage unskilled job. This is terrible, get back to your minimum wage unskilled job.

Too bad it only took HTC to release over 20 different models in the past 4 years to compete with 5 different iPhones. :apple:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I wonder if this will stay up long. I doubt this person had the legal right to post it, whether he edited it or not. As someone who does a lot of photography on the side I'm very sensitive to that issue.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
and in other news, I wonder which of Kyle's former coworkers is now Macrumor's 'sources in the know' that is leaking what happens at store meetings before they are even over

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yep.....

I'm not sure the old "vibe" was sustainable though, either? I never worked Apple retail myself but my wife did, years ago, and she says the same thing I do about it. It's just an empty shell of its former self.

When it was "new and fresh", it also catered mainly to real computer enthusiasts. Excitement over a product update or a given piece of software was genuine. Apple simply provided a specific outlet for that existing interest, by way of focusing on their particular line of computer products and accessories (and secondarily, 3rd. party products like cameras or printers that one could use with them).

Now, they're more likely for a walk-in customer to be someone who doesn't even really care for computers at all -- but simply likes listening to music on their iPod, or treats the place like one more cellular phone store to get help with an iPhone.

Plus, Apple products are victims of their own success to an extent. More of their customers are average Joes off the street who were told to buy a Mac by some friend or relative. That's fine, obviously, except "average Joe" isn't going to appreciate a good, honest "techie" discussion very much. He's going to be more easily impressed (fooled?) by a bunch of forced "best customer service practices" the staff is trained to follow to the letter.

To be honest, it really is. It USED to be fun back in the days when it was new and fresh. But lately it's become drone-world with messages and sales agendas like this one. I miss it when it was fun.

velcrovan

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ample

The acronym they actually used was AMPLE.

The M stood for "Mobile Me -- regardless of suitability, interest, or the fact that they could use Google and buy 18 Happy Meals with the difference."

:apple:

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I work a standard 9-5 office job dealing with web development and internet marketing. My fiance and I recently moved into our own apartment a few months ago. Prior to that, I wanted to save up some extra cash for the move, so I managed to work part time at the local Apple store this past summer.

I worked there for 3 weeks - weekends and a few week nights - before I quit!

It was a combination of being burnt out, and all the hokey Apple brainwashing nonsese that they made everyone do. It was a joke. The "core training" was so ridiculous. These people need to get a grip. It was not fun to work there at all.

I thank my lucky stars that the Apple store is not my primary income source.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Yeah, I can't imagine this staying up long once Apple catches wind of it.

To be honest, I've always felt the Apple retail store experience seemed rather phony, and nothing like the image they portray. I've never liked shopping there or going there for Genius Bar support. When I've gone in to buy an accessory, I have a terrible time finding someone who is actually available to ring up my purchase -- everyone is running around busy with other things. When I've gone in to buy a more expensive item (iPhone, iPad, etc.) they keep trying to upsell me on AppleCare and (at the time) MobileMe. All I want is to buy the item and get out the door! And the last time I went in for Genius Bar support they somehow forgot about me after I checked in with the concierge, and I ended up waiting 20 minutes before one of the staff noticed I was just standing around and said, "uh... are you waiting for someone?" When I got home from that visit, they sent me an email summary of my Genius Bar visit, which contained some other customer's personal info! So yeah, the Apple Store is not all it's cracked up to be.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I just put steak knives through both ears and both eyes, so I hope I’m typing right

Microsoft leads, and Apple follows! :eek:

Wickedgardengtp

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, I can't imagine this staying up long once Apple catches wind of it.

To be honest, I've always felt the Apple retail store experience seemed rather phony, and nothing like the image they portray. I've never liked shopping there or going there for Genius Bar support. When I've gone in to buy an accessory, I have a terrible time finding someone who is actually available to ring up my purchase -- everyone is running around busy with other things. When I've gone in to buy a more expensive item (iPhone, iPad, etc.) they keep trying to upsell me on AppleCare and (at the time) MobileMe. All I want is to buy the item and get out the door! And the last time I went in for Genius Bar support they somehow forgot about me after I checked in with the concierge, and I ended up waiting 20 minutes before one of the staff noticed I was just standing around and said, "uh... are you waiting for someone?" When I got home from that visit, they sent me an email summary of my Genius Bar visit, which contained some other customer's personal info! So yeah, the Apple Store is not all it's cracked up to be.

Yeah? Well, I walked in to say that the home button on my iPhone stop responding and they gave me a new iphone and I was out the door in under 10 min. They didn't even try to sell me anything. Great Service.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
Wow, I'd rather watch The Wiggles do Fruit Salad than to watch this crap. The only thing that could have saved this train wreck would have been if Phil Schiller made a dance cameo.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Yeah? Well, I walked in to say that the home button on my iPhone stop responding and they gave me a new iphone and I was out the door in under 10 min. They didn't even try to sell me anything. Great Service.

I don't doubt that many people do have great experiences at the Apple Store every day. I'm just saying that it's not all sunshine and happiness all the time for everyone, despite the image they attempt to project.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I worked for Apple Retail from 2004-2007, never saw crap like this. And actually, this video is relatively new. You can tell by the shirts. i worked at Apple when we had the classic black t-shirts with the white Apple logo. I have 30 shirts from the departure from that era, but I was one of the originals...thanks.

I've seen a video about the scanner that was before the iPod touch.

EnergonCube

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
Why do some people feel the need to be a rapper when they do these kinds of things? Is that the go-to style when you feel the need to be cool AND give instructions?

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Crap

3.5 minutes of my life I won't get back. Who knew they had an Apple Store in Harlem?

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
The acronym they actually used was AMPLE.

The M stood for "Mobile Me -- regardless of suitability, interest, or the fact that they could use Google and buy 18 Happy Meals with the difference."

:apple:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

See Flat

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Oh Apple Retail...what happened to you?

this is not Apple Retail. It's an employee who thinks he has talent.

Talented people are very empowered by some of Apple's stuff. As are the no taste, less talented. It's part of the course. Fortunately, cream does rise to the top in the end.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Apple service? I'd rather have pie...

Based on my experience with the Apple retail store today, they need all the help they can get (the folks who handle iTunes support, however, are amazing).

Basically, the retail store didn't honor my reservation time. When I asked (nicely) if I could re-schedule, the apple employee said 'well, we'll sell your item to someone else, but you can try'. Nice attitude, and thanks for not even trying to help. But hey, they did say it with a smile on their face.

On a positive side, it made me think about what really makes me happy. See, if I save all the money that I was planning on spending at Apple today - but didn't - I can probably buy myself a piece of pie every day for the rest of my life. And pie makes me happy.

edit: I went back to the Apple store, and I had 2 people try and help me out. They were both pretty apologetic. I'm guessing it had everything to do with the video. Of course, they just might be good at their jobs and didn't even see the video.

May I also say I'm impressed/surprised at the lack of apple pie jokes...especially with thanksgiving right around the corner.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.