Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
I don't like the fact that these internal emails are getting leaked out. I don't think we saw many leaked internal messages while S. Jobs was there. I also don't see many leaked messages from Google or Facebook.

The reason I say this is that I used to work for a very large Silicon Valley tech company that had massive amounts of leaked emails. You would see the emails leaked onto TechCrunch and Valleyway about 15 minutes after you got it in your own inbox. It's bad on morale and is simply disrespectful.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Steve wasn't a family man.... it was all work work work... well. maybe after the his health was put on risk he began to be more familiar and all but when he was great and felling as a champion he didn't care about his family at all...

that's the tradition he would love to enhance.

ken94538

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
those RICH Elite, they can just all retire, enjoy Steve's Asset

those RICH Elite, they can just all retire, enjoy Steve's Asset.
:mad::mad::mad:
the new CEO do not need to work hard as Steve, but they can make more money than Steve.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
This is a very classy move by Apple, nice to see them rewarding their employees like this.

somebody needs a sarcasm detector. they sell them at ebay.........:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I don't think either of those comments were sarcasm. If they were, they weren't very well marked.

jW

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Tim is making some good changes in both operational and employee interests (cuts costs by shutting down offices, equipment, maintenance etc. and also lets employees be with their beloved.)

BUT before someone claims it is yet another Apple invention - HP has prior art here - even the spending time with family part of the wording is prior art! :)

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I could definitely see the workplace at Apple being less intense with Jobs gone. Whether that will be a good thing for the company remains to be seen, but it will probably be a better place to work.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
I'm really digging this more humanistic Apple. This is a company I can get behind now.

Cook >>> Jobs

They got to the top of the game with Jobs doing things his way. You don't become the best by sitting on your @$$.

Cook wouldn't exist in his present form if not for Jobs.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
LOL at all the troll comments :D

This is a nice gesture from the higher ups. Wish my company would do something like this.

Wi-Fi-Guy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
This is nothing new

Perhaps many of you have never heard about this before, but this is not the first time that Apple has given everyone the week off for Thanksgiving week. Steve did this in the past. There's nothing to see here. Move along.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
I could definitely see the workplace at Apple being less intense with Jobs gone. Whether that will be a good thing for the company remains to be seen, but it will probably be a better place to work.

Less pressure to be the best might mean worse products in the end. Steve Jobs may have been a slave-driver, but dammit, he got results. It'll be interesting to see if the kinder, gentler, bleeding heart Apple gets similar results, or if the wheels start falling off.

----------

Perhaps many of you have never heard about this before, but this is not the first time that Apple has given everyone the week off for Thanksgiving week. Steve did this in the past. There's nothing to see here. Move along.

Link or it didn't happen.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

This is great for them! On a side note why do I feel like the iCloud team got a separate email..???

OldRoadRider

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Austin, Texas
Apple is entering a tough transition period. The iCloud launch has revealed insufficient server capacity. iPhone 4S will be likely to incur some of the glitches that reveal themselves when a product goes into mass production. The busiest shopping season of the year is upon us and rapid response time and service to Apple's loyal customers (many of whom will have to work the 3 days before Thanksgiving) is essential. The time to rest on laurels is after the end of a successful year and transition. Not during the beginning. A day off for mourning for Steve Jobs right now would be more understandable.

MacFreak2011

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Is this really news?

I hate that every single email that is sent out is intently put on here like it's a big deal. It's not a rumor or has anything to do with product launches, its just employee vacation time, but for some reason it's front page news.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
wrong!

Sorry up to burst the bubble, but has anybody typed in a google search for 'trouble with iOS5?!'

If:

1. mucking around existing loyal customers.

2. Making some users upgrade to a new operating system before they can help.

3. or charging them £35 for apple care before they'll speak to you if you're out of warranty

4. Crashing or locking you out of iTunes accounts

5. Bricking iPhones/iPads/iPod Touches.

6. If it's not bricked then making the iPad 1 the latest upgrade victim and running sluggishly, with jolts and generally unresponsive... I thought that you'd learned your lesson with the 3G and iOS3... People don't run out and buy newer they get very p*&^^%d off!

7. Allowing windows 8 users to totally integrate iCloud whilst isolating snow leopard.

8. The attractive yet sluggish monster that is Aperture

9. the toys with no substance in Lion, that you'll not use a lot once you've lived with it a while, but lost all those cool little apps that saved you so much time that won't work any more...

10. Changing Safari in iOS5 iPad so that all the 'clippers' for Evernote & Springpad no longer work making you email blog subjects and items to yourself, therefore going back to dark ages of the digital times

11. The Final Cut Pro debacle?!

... is good then yes, give yourselves a pat on the back... you've nearly lowered yourselves to windows standards... and all more or less in the space of a month

Reality hurts

Signed an upset Fanboy

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Sounds great, but who has been leaking these emails to the press?

Good question. Here is a nice story from a former Apple employee detailing Jobs' return to the company. In the story, the author mentions leaked emails:

One of the struggles we were going through when he came back was that Apple was about the leakiest organization in history — it had gotten so bad that people were cavalier about it. In the face of all those leaks, I remember the first all company e-mail that Steve sent around after becoming Interim CEO again — he talked in it about how Apple would release a few things in the coming week, and a desire to tighten up communications so that employees would know more about what was going on — and how that required more respect for confidentiality. That mail was sent on a Thursday; I remember all of us getting to work on Monday morning and reading mail from Fred Anderson, our then-CFO, who said basically: “Steve sent mail last week, he told you not to leak, we were tracking everyone’s mail, and 4 people sent the details to outsiders. They’ve all been terminated and are no longer with the company.”

I wonder if Tim Cook is going to tighten this up?

Last edited:

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
those RICH Elite, they can just all retire, enjoy Steve's Asset.
:mad::mad::mad:
the new CEO do not need to work hard as Steve, but they can make more money than Steve.

Finally someone who understand logic. Cook get much higher money than the Great Steve Job. But Steve jobs is built the company, not Cook. Now Cook take vacation while go on stage 2 time a year to talk of Steve Job pipeline he made for years to come.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Taking an extra 3 days off before Thanksgiving? And you wonder why the 4S launched 4 months late. No one is being pushed anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see the iPhone 6 until 2012 with this work ethic.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Taking an extra 3 days off before Thanksgiving? And you wonder why the 4S launched 4 months late. No one is being pushed anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see the iPhone 6 until 2012 with this work ethic.

Why don't you move to China... I've heard they've got a work ethic you'd love by the sound of it!!!

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
When I read this, it was hard not to think about the contracted workers in China who work up to 15 hours a day and then retire to a room with 3 other bunkmates. I'm not saying Apple is singularly at fault or even wanting to open that conversation people find so uncomfortable. I just thought when I read this e-mail what I would have felt reading were I one of those workers in China who actually make these products.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
I find it amusing that there's many people who are highly critical of this move, yet their opinions and views clearly indicate that they are not a part of the professional workforce.

PTO is common, and Apple is still considered quite stingy in this regard. Compared to many European countries, US companies give far less vacation. The amount of PTO != a change in productivity. Anyone who has a job knows this to be true... it's just a nice gesture that helps to mitigate stress and anecdotally improves performance, however regardless of the time off given, the performance standards aren't likely to change.

All of the comments on work ethic are really quite priceless... how many of you are actually employed in a corporate environment? One has to question...

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
What?
Mr. Jobs leaves us, and Tim Cook is already taking time off?

What baout shutting down the store and giving retail employees paid time off?...not so much, huh.....

What about shutting down the store on the day after Mr. Jobs death for his recognition? not so much, huh

But yuo go ahead and take your vacation Mr. Cook.

Vartanarsen obviously doesn't have a job to get paid time off from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.