Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What?
Mr. Jobs leaves us, and Tim Cook is already taking time off?

What baout shutting down the store and giving retail employees paid time off?...not so much, huh.....

What about shutting down the store on the day after Mr. Jobs death for his recognition? not so much, huh

But yuo go ahead and take your vacation Mr. Cook.

Just a tiny bit of trolling here?

"You can bet that Apple is Forcing workers to take time off!!! This is not Choice!!! This is not Open!!! This is the Walled Garden in action.

It is a Crime that these workers get time off with pay!!! What ever happened to Free!!!
Choice, Open, and Free. These are ideals to live by."

How the h8ters will spin this.

HUH!!??

Is it just me, or is this an extremely strange post? (Even for MR :rolleyes: :D)

You're pissed off because these folks get PAID time off??

I'm pissed because I'm sooo jealous. :D :p

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
When I read this, it was hard not to think about the contracted workers in China who work up to 15 hours a day and then retire to a room with 3 other bunkmates. I'm not saying Apple is singularly at fault or even wanting to open that conversation people find so uncomfortable. I just thought when I read this e-mail what I would have felt reading were I one of those workers in China who actually make these products.

They live by the rules set by the companies they work for. I read about how much paid time off workers in France and other countries get, and I'm jealous. If it were that big a problem for me, I would move to one of those countries to work.

----------

What heck?? Would Steve Job allow this? If no, then must be good reason. He give employee free product like amazing iPhone but never allow people to be soft and lazy. Cook learned nothing from the great Steve. :rolleyes:.

Getting 3 days off with pay is being soft and lazy? iChrist obviously doesn't have a job or put in extra hours each day without pay.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Steve wasn't a family man.... it was all work work work... well. maybe after the his health was put on risk he began to be more familiar and all but when he was great and felling as a champion he didn't care about his family at all...

What Steve Jobs are you talking about the real Steve Jobs who was a very private family man, or the Steve Jobs who you would love him to have been so you can pick on him?

Steve Jobs was not a family man until he had a family (~15 years ago), and then he became a very devoted father.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Just a tiny bit of trolling here?

HUH!!??

Is it just me, or is this an extremely strange post? (Even for MR :rolleyes: :D)

You're pissed off because these folks get PAID time off??

I'm pissed because I'm sooo jealous. :D :p

I didn't think that something as over the top as this needed a snark tag...

I'm touched that it was good enough to almost fool you.;)

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I find it amusing that there's many people who are highly critical of this move, yet their opinions and views clearly indicate that they are not a part of the professional workforce.

PTO is common, and Apple is still considered quite stingy in this regard. Compared to many European countries, US companies give far less vacation. The amount of PTO != a change in productivity. Anyone who has a job knows this to be true... it's just a nice gesture that helps to mitigate stress and anecdotally improves performance, however regardless of the time off given, the performance standards aren't likely to change.

All of the comments on work ethic are really quite priceless... how many of you are actually employed in a corporate environment? One has to question...

I see you are very confused. Look at correlation between country with a lot of time off and their GDP growth rate. It is ok if is hard for you to understand.

:rolleyes:

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
That's their Intranet, where they have internal announcements, support, employee directory, etc... Every relevant company has one.

I for one, would love a chance to see what their Intranet looks like. I imagine it blows away the clunky-but-gets-the-job-done-sorta version that everybody else uses. There's probably some very clever features in AppleWeb that I could consider using at my work.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
wife : so... nice day at work honey?

apple guy : yeah... great day at apple...

wife: what are you working on, iPhone 7?

apple guy: we've been through his - you know I'd have to kill you.

wife: how about I kill you? - I know from mac rumors that you all had the day off. Where were you!

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
What Steve Jobs are you talking about the real Steve Jobs who was a very private family man, or the Steve Jobs who you would love him to have been so you can pick on him?

Steve Jobs was not a family man until he had a family (~15 years ago), and then he became a very devoted father.

False. His children do not even work for Apple which is his real baby. How can child not share in something so important to father if they have good relations. Is nonsense. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

i wish the company i worked for were as generous as aapl

in the same breath though - i already have my own paid vacation setup as the same days as aapl

i thought mr cook was also going to say the time was also for thanks and reflection of mr jobs leadership at aapl

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
False. His children do not even work for Apple which is his real baby. How can child not share in something so important to father if they have good relations. Is nonsense. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

His children are CHILDREN - underage!!! There are child work laws in America!

Geez!

ken94538

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
They got to the top of the game with Jobs doing things his way. You don't become the best by sitting on your @$$.

Cook wouldn't exist in his present form if not for Jobs.

Have more time to Enjoy his Gaay right.

AltimateJP

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Maryland
Hey there, Mr. CEO: Tired of all the boo-hooing over Steve Jobs? Employees not giving you the respect you deserve because you're not Steve? I know just what you should do: Give 'em a week off! Then watch them bow down to their new supreme leader.

"Can't buy me lo-ove!"

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
His children are CHILDREN - underage!!! There are child work laws in America!

Geez!

Jobs has a daughter, Lisa Brennan-Jobs (born 1978), from his relationship with Bay Area painter Chrisann Brennan. For two years, she raised their daughter on welfare while Jobs denied paternity by claiming he was sterile; he later acknowledged Lisa as his daughter.

His son is also graduated. Nothing with Apple. Poor relations. But Jobs still know how to run company, not Cook. Sorry.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Steve Jobs is screaming from his grave--"Get Back To Work!!". If this continues, he will arise as zombie Steve and eat the brains of Tim Cook.

Seriously though, more companies should do this. I think Mr. Cook has a handle on the company.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Wow, I'd hate to work for some of the people who commented above me. This is a strategic and smart move by Tim Cook. And it always helps the morale and motivation to reward your employees. Kudos to team Apple.
It's a smart move, but it could've been smarter. Giving corporate employees a week off with pay at the same time that hourly retail employees are the busiest and working the hardest they will be all year (other than big product launch days) is kind of poor timing.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I see you are very confused. Look at correlation between country with a lot of time off and their GDP growth rate. It is ok if is hard for you to understand.

:rolleyes:

Correlation is not causation.

More likely the countries that have sustained growth have stable economic and industrial policy as well as ceilings on CEO pay, universal health care, unions, and progressive tax policies.

Or, it could be as likely that some of those same countries are now requiring debt relief.

All I can state is that it is likely in this economy that the worker is losing that crappy benefits that they came to rely on.

hpver

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Good move

Very smart move. Wish I worked for a company like this. It will increase employee loyalty and morale, and thus productivity. And it's well deserved. Good all around.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
I for one, would love a chance to see what their Intranet looks like. I imagine it blows away the clunky-but-gets-the-job-done-sorta version that everybody else uses. There's probably some very clever features in AppleWeb that I could consider using at my work.
It's nothing particularly special about it, just the usual assortment of internal mail, news feed, online reference material, training videos, employee online store, etc.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
somebody needs a sarcasm detector. they sell them at ebay.........:rolleyes:

Oh dear god, the irony. The irony!

Can't understand people criticising the company for giving employees a paid holiday. Would you not take one? If not you're just weird. There's no two ways about that.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I hope I can work for a company like Apple someday.

I hope my company is as big as Apple someday. Not that I will ever take it public.
___

Good for them, but how is this relevant for the rest of us who are not Apple employees?

A bit of time off should make Apple more productive. This will give customers better products and stock holders more money.

___

The most successful companies expect the best from their workers. They also give the best. You can't perform at 100% capacity every day for 12 hours per day without a bit of downtime.

Recognizing and rewarding the hard work of those on your payroll is always a good thing. This is the smart management I have grown to expect from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.