Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Testing doesn't mean it is definitely coming. Apple is going to weigh all it as a business opportunity or not.

T-Mobile could mean another 3-6 million phones in a year. If it is a simple hack of an AT&T phone and easy to implement, it might be worth Apple's effort.

Besides, what WILL happen to T-mobile's frequencies? The HW would have to be modified/upgraded/changed to support AT&T, right? Those cell towers won't switch overnight to AT&T freqs for no cost.

What really would make sense would be an AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile WORLD phone. That would make the most sense to me.

I am sure any plans to launch it have been scrapped and this is just a left over prototype. You know Apple has a history of planning for every contingency, I am sure there are Sprint iPhones ready to go also. If Apple decides to release them they would be ready to go.

I'm sure buried inside Apple there are iPhones for every conceivable cell frequency setup on earth. They have to plan for every possible option, and with boat loads of cash, why not build some prototypes. As technology moves on and several chips with different functions merge into single chips, the Apple dream (most companies dream really) is a single phone that can run on any network. LTE will go a long way to making that a reality. Then it's just making sure your antennas work with whatever freq the carrier is on.
Steve. Hates. SKU's. In his mind there should be a single world-mode phone, black only, and 2 sizes. Once the cloud thing happens at apple then one size only as everyone pulls data from "out there" and local storage means nothing. Seeing 18 SKU's of iPad2's probably makes his skin crawl.

The other shocker I take from this... Why would Apple test out prototype stuff using un-released cases? If you want to blend in, why not test T-Mobil inside the black iPhone. The white one was a rare sighting already, a white T-Mobil phone? That makes me wonder about this. If I saw a while iPhone in the wild I'd ask about it... And if I saw it was on t-mobil?

Last edited:

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
Don't believe

I don't believe this. Why would Apple waste money on a carrier that has just been bought?

nealibob

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
I am sure there are Sprint iPhones ready to go also.

The "Verizon" iPhone is exactly the same hardware as would be used with Sprint. You could actually use one on Sprint's network today if they allowed you to activate non-Sprint devices. AFAIK, they still do not allow that, which really is a shame. With their new GV features and relatively reasonable prices, I would gladly buy a CDMA iPhone and use it on Sprint.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I don't believe this. Why would Apple waste money on a carrier that has just been bought?

The best asset that T-Mobile USA has is its network.

AT&T will no doubt want to use that eventually - it's probably the main reason that they're buying it.

T-Mobile's 3G coverage is solely on the AWS band.

A future iPhone that could use all of the bands that AT&T/T-Mobile USA owns would provide a real boost for AT&T. It would expand their network coverage with minimal cost and no hassle of waiting for planning rules etc.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
As an Apple fan, I'm glad to hear this. I'd love for iPhone to get on all 4 networks in the U.S. Apple's profits go up and millions more people get access to a great device. I would love to see iPhone 5 in September get released on all networks in the U.S. :apple:

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
FInally, god

Finally, is all I have to say. People have been unlocking and jaibreaking their iphones ever since 2007 to be on tmobile. Apple is finally catching up with the rest of society. It's absolutely ridiculous it has taken this long for tmobile to have the iphone in the usa.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011

Its unsure if the deal will go through and what type of stipulations will happen. As a proud T-mo customer. I do not want this deal from hell. I love my low prices I don't need an iPhone I am happy with my current phone.

There are many things that stand in the way of this deal. It may make the market a lot less competitive. It would also almost remove sprint and make it a two horse race with AT&T and Verizon having over 60% of the American Market.

It is also quite possible that if AT&T does purchase T-Mobile, T-mobile will exist solely as a subsidiary of AT&T similar to Sprint and Virgin Mobile. Its clear that AT&T is purchasing towers not customer base.

Many of the Android users are going to migrate over to Sprint and Verizon due to the of the inability to side load on AT&Ts network and the restriction of upload download speeds.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I like how the proximity sensor was casually cut off from the picture. I wonder if that iPhone has the "new" proximity sensor or the old one.

I bet if T-Mobile got the iPhone, they wouldn't need to sell the company since many people would go back to T-Mobile.

Last edited:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I'd be surprised if this comes true. T-Mobile's network is not exactly up to par with AT&T and Verizon.

patel1029

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
I like how the proximity sensor was casually cut off from the picture. I wonder if that iPhone has the "new" proximity sensor or the old one.

I bet if T-Mobile got the iPhone, they wouldn't need to sell the company since many people would go back to T-Mobile.

I agree... why would T-Mobile sell themselves to AT&T if they know they are going to get the iPhone!!!??? I sure as hell would switch to T-mobile if they came out with a T-Mobile version!

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
It's absolutely ridiculous it has taken this long for tmobile to have the iphone in the usa.

Let's all spell it together.

EXCLUSIVITY.

AT&T had it at one time. Hence, TMobile couldn't have the iPhone, or any other carrier in the United States.

The more you know.....

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
My HTC Touch Pro 2 supports all frequencies and networks, both GSM and CDMA. This seems perfectly feasible to me, as does creating an iPhone that supports all carriers.

Methinks we're in for some nice treats with the next iPhone, ladies and gents...

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
They might just be testing it so when T-mobile is part of att it would work across the network instead of atts original network.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010

Diesel-Benz

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
The T-Mobile US network uses different frequencies than AT&T's, requiring different hardware to support.

Um' tell that to my iPhone thats been using T-Mobile for 3 years...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Sniff

Nooooo!

After waiting two years for TMO to get the iPhone, I just threw up my arms in disgust at the merger news and moved over to VZ. Wish I could get confirmation before my thirty days with VZ are up.

For those of you talking trash about TMO's network: While their overall coverage is not as good as VZ's, their speed network wide is better than either VZ or AT&T. Much better. Much, much better. Trust me. I know.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

you know.. the US isn't the only country in the world.

i think Apple wants to offer the iPhone to as many users as possible, and the only way to do that is to offer it on as many networks as possible.

there are companies all over the world that run on the same bands as t-mobile.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
This is a great thing. Now I wonder if this will support tmobile calls over wifi.

And I hope they sell the phone for higher fee upfront, and lower monthly fees.

That would rock

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
9 To 5 Mac's discovery is quite interesting as it shows that this is a recent and updated iPhone with an A5, rather then an old iPhone 4. Maybe the new iPhone 5 will bring some more carriers for the Americans, help slow the loss to Android?

smilechild

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
please please please

I've waited for this for so long, I hope the iPhone comes to T-mobile this year... it would be an answered prayer!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.