Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
9 To 5 Mac's discovery is quite interesting as it shows that this is a recent and updated iPhone with an A5, rather then an old iPhone 4. Maybe the new iPhone 5 will bring some more carriers for the Americans, help slow the loss to Android?

That is my thinking as well. There has to be increasing pressure on Apple from Android, the stats show it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't quite understand this... as people use their iPhones on T-Mobile jailbroken all the time. How could AT&T iPhones work on T-Mobile now if they need different hardware???

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I don't quite understand this... as people use their iPhones on T-Mobile jailbroken all the time. How could AT&T iPhones work on T-Mobile now if they need different hardware???

I guess the basic frequency is the same for EDGE and calls and what not. However, T-Mobile's 3G won't work with current iPhone's, so I guess this hardware update would change that.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
I hope whoever leaked the picture knows Apple can track the water droplets in the background like a bar code scanner.

/joking

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
What product will the T-Mobile chic bash now??? :rolleyes:

lol If you think about it, she mostly bashes AT&T, just as Verizon did with their ads about the iPhone. Which makes sense because they both wanted the iPhone, so they wouldn't bash the phone directly. It looks like the tactic worked for Verizon, and it looks like it's headed that way for T-Mobile one way or another too lol :D

This bit of news is ironic because I just happened to cancel my T-Mobile contract to switch over to AT&T for the iPhone (old phone's broken so I couldn't just wait lol). And I know of AT&T buying T-Mobile, I've been hearing that it'll take till next year before they get it really moving

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
T-Mobile towers use different frequencies and will become part of the AT&T network. Apple must have iPhone support for that frequency, in order to ensure ease of transfer once the merger is finalized.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
I like how the proximity sensor was casually cut off from the picture. I wonder if that iPhone has the "new" proximity sensor or the old one.

I bet if T-Mobile got the iPhone, they wouldn't need to sell the company since many people would go back to T-Mobile.

I agree... why would T-Mobile sell themselves to AT&T if they know they are going to get the iPhone!!!??? I sure as hell would switch to T-mobile if they came out with a T-Mobile version!

From Boy Genius:
4db34f4fa7ed2110423221439.jpg

ERICLRICH

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
This is great!!!

AT&T=High prices (unlimited talk for $69.99 a month!).:mad:
Verizon=Can't talk and web at same time.:mad:
T-Mobile=Do EVERYTHING FAST for a cheap price!!!:D

This will be great because I always wanted an iPhone on T-Mobile.:)

They should put 4G on the T-Mobile iPhone because 3G is just too old for a new phone.

EDGE is just tooooooooooooooooooo slow.

Also possibly Mobile Hotspot may be included for FREE!!!:D

Plus Unlimited Data for like $10 a month!!!:D

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
YES! I would love a iPhone on Sprint's everything plan. I know several people with Sprint smart phones and the service they provide is great for only $70! Choice is a good thing for the customer and if the iPhone 5 does have a global chipset, then wider availability would be the best way to go.

Exactly, I had to give up my iPhone 2G for an EVO because Sprint was so much cheaper and while I love my EVO I would love an iPhone more. I just hope the rumors of possibly a bigger screen come true because going from a 4.3in screen to a 3.5in screen would be kind of hard is the only thing. 3.7-4in would be nice but I digress.

joeycamp

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
Midwestern Area
Nooooo!

After waiting two years for TMO to get the iPhone, I just threw up my arms in disgust at the merger news and moved over to VZ. Wish I could get confirmation before my thirty days with VZ are up.

For those of you talking trash about TMO's network: While their overall coverage is not as good as VZ's, their speed network wide is better than either VZ or AT&T. Much better. Much, much better. Trust me. I know.

Not hard to do when TMobile has hardly any customers compared to AT&T and Verizon ;)

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Its unsure if the deal will go through and what type of stipulations will happen. As a proud T-mo customer. I do not want this deal from hell. I love my low prices I don't need an iPhone I am happy with my current phone.

There are many things that stand in the way of this deal. It may make the market a lot less competitive. It would also almost remove sprint and make it a two horse race with AT&T and Verizon having over 60% of the American Market.

It is also quite possible that if AT&T does purchase T-Mobile, T-mobile will exist solely as a subsidiary of AT&T similar to Sprint and Virgin Mobile. Its clear that AT&T is purchasing towers not customer base.

Many of the Android users are going to migrate over to Sprint and Verizon due to the of the inability to side load on AT&Ts network and the restriction of upload download speeds.

Agreed, I'd rather keep AT&T separate and just jailbreak/unlock iPhone to use on T-mobile.

That way -low prices with T-Mobile plus the functionality of iPhone

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
Interesting that after last year's "lost phone" debacle we see another "leaked" phone at around the same time as last year. I really thought that wasn't going to be the case anymore with Apple's phones. And considering that the iPhone 4S/5 is being rumored to be released in September, I find the timing far more surprising. I like surprises, though.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
C'mon Apple, show T-Mobile some love'n...

Maybe I'll buy my first ever iPhone!... But not in too much of a rush... Just purchased a MBA this past November, my first ever laptop... before that the 3G 64GB iPad 1 in June... and just got my iMac repaired to the tune of $200 bucks... so I can wait for either T-Mo to get their version of the iPhone or the merger with ATT to gain access, while I pay off my Apple debt and saving some dinero for some more Apple goodies! :apple::cool:

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
What product will the T-Mobile chic bash now??? :rolleyes:

You know how fickle women can be, so does it really matter?! :rolleyes:

Oops, just made somebody's hit list. :eek: Let me rephrase that... :cool:

As a woman, the T-Mobile "chic" has the right to change her mind! Thus probably will bash Android Fragmentation! :D

Yes, Dear...
/
/
/

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The T-Mobile deal isn't a for sure thing. Likely, but the FTC could block it. Also, as the article states T-Mobile's towers use a different frequencies.

Given that, I'm sure that Apple has been testing a possible T-Mobile iphone for a while. Heck ATT probably wouldn't have tried this buy without knowing that the iphone was ready to go on T-Mobile's towers. Then they don't have to worry about making any adjustments until they are ready to take the tower LTE.

The real question is whether Apple can conceivable making a single line up of iphones that works with ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon or will they have to do three lines. I'm hoping the former cause if I sign up for one and it sucks I'd love to be able to switch without having to return my iphone, buy a new one, resync etc

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I think AT&T is getting tired of dropped calls on it's frequency band...it wants to start dropping them on T-Mobile's as well.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL....

Does this also mean that T-Mobile users are stuck with only the white one? :eek:

I say get one with the lower pricing before the AT&T deal goes through - so AT&T has to honor your 2 year T-Mobile contract.

I have a nicely priced old voice plan and would like to add the $10/month 250MB data plan... ;)

BTW - is this just an unlocked iPhone 4 that someone put on T-Mobile and is passing around this rumor? :D

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
LOLOLOLOLOLOL....

Does this also mean that T-Mobile users are stuck with only the white one? :eek:

I say get one with the lower pricing before the AT&T deal goes through - so AT&T has to honor your 2 year T-Mobile contract.

I have a nicely priced old voice plan and would like to add the $10/month 250MB data plan... ;)

BTW - is this just an unlocked iPhone 4 that someone put on T-Mobile and is passing around this rumor? :D

If you are referring to the 200mb for $10/month for T-mobile. It only works for recent voice places, not grandfathered. I already tried several times. It's retarded :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.