Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Kinda funny how in 2011 people were reporting about a "larger iPhone 5 with tapered design." Case companies even released cases for it... and in October 2011 all we got was the iPhone 4S. Oh... and there were tons of leaked parts for the 4S and ZILCH for the "tapered iPhone 5."

Correct. Pretty late in the game too: http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/06/wsj-thinner-lighter-iphone-is-expected-this-fall/ Same deal. Conflicting reports, no leaks. I'm inclined to believe that the 5.5 inch doesn't exist, but we'll see if Apple proves me wrong.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
man, i just cant wait for the haptic feedback and NFC...it's going to sooooo great.... or is that on iphone 8?

Franco610

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
When will hear about a Apple employee losing their iPhone at a bar ? Any guesses? 2 weeks I'd say

----------

When can we expect to hear about a Apple employee losing their iPhone at a bar ? Any guesses? 2 weeks I'd say

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Late to the thread, but...

I'm still rocking a chipped tooth 4S. So I'm more than ready to upgrade.
That said, I'm uncharacteristically underwhelmed by rumors we've all read to date. While larger screens are... well... larger screens, I'm not (yet) getting that sense that Apple (or the industry, for that matter) is pushing boundaries in the hand held segment. Reserving full judgment until we know the full story.

Just more 'meh' than I typically am heading into a personal upgrade cycle.

I'm not sure what more you can expect from a phone. All of them are basically at their top. Yeah, they are faster and more powerful, but thats just so they can catch up with the apps, which are constantly demanding more. Not sure what else they could add to ''revolutionize'' a phone again. Only thing that hasn't moved forward as much as the other specs inside the phones is the battery.

The only way Apple could screw this larger iPhone release up is if they give us a crappy non-retina screen and wait until the S-model to start the retina stuff. And as Apple goes, that's not too farfetched. Unlikely, but not unheard of. Apple can be *******s like that.

Barring any ******* moves by Apple, looks like I might be one of those people standing outside in line waiting to pick up the new iPhone!

I get why you're thinking like that, but I don't think that will happen. Apple never want from something good to worse, like a good camera in a current phone, than a worse one in the next. Yeah, they did it with the MacBook Air and iMac giving them slower parts like the cpu and SSD, but they also reduced the prices.

But they can't afford to do that on their iDevices, since those are the best selling ones. Apple will never go for a worse screen because that's one of their biggest selling points (even though the competition is now far in front of them on that front).

What I they can do (and have done) is not include the latest tech they have available. Like when the iPad Air didn't have TouchID, even though the iPhone 5S, which was released before the iPad, did. They use this trick so they can ''amaze us'' how they managed to put TouchID in the iPad Air successor. :p

MisterX88

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
I don't recall for the previous models, but immediately after launch, do the brick and mortar stores sell the phones on contract only or do they sell the unlocked, off-contract ones as well?

I'll be travelling to the US a few weeks after launch and if I can purchase unlocked one and not pay sales tax (NH), I'll wait till I get there.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Hopefully we'll see 2 iPhones this year just like we did last year. 5c is still an awesome design but bad pricing, and the 5s still competes with the big boys like the Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8. Hopefully the iPhone 6 4.7" and the iPhone 6L (5.5") will truly be worth the wait.

Here's my predication on the iPhone lineup for 2014:

iPhone 5c (16GB): Free/ $450
iPhone 5s (16GB): $99/ $549
iPhone 6 (16GB): $199/ $649
iPhone 6L (32GB): $299/ $749

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hopefully we'll see 2 iPhones this year just like we did last year. 5c is still an awesome design but bad pricing, and the 5s still competes with the big boys like the Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8. Hopefully the iPhone 6 4.7" and the iPhone 6L (5.5") will truly be worth the wait.

Here's my predication on the iPhone lineup for 2014:

iPhone 5c (16GB): Free/ $450
iPhone 5s (16GB): $99/ $549
iPhone 6 (16GB): $199/ $649
iPhone 6L (32GB): $299/ $749
Consider the headline about the 5.5" having the better cpu...

iPhone 5c 16gb: free/450
iPhone 5c 32gb: 99/550
iPhone 6 16gb: 199/650 (5s repackaged, into 4.7inch. A7 and touchID)
iPhone 6L 16gb: 299/750 (A8 all new) maybe 32gb.

A. Dumbledore

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
It's not bigger.
What we did was look at what made the iPhone so great, Focus on those points, and re-imagine the key points, resulting in, a not larger, but enhanced focus on the experience that we have all come to love.

You did that a little too well :)

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
I'm 99% sure I'm going with 4.7". But what I don't want to happen is the 4.7" gets announced in sept. with no mention of the 5.5". I would not be happy camping out for the 4.7" not knowing anything about the 5.5.

Take a violin, tissues and a friend; if Apple "let you down", the friend can play you a sad tune on the violin and dry your tears of disappointment :'(

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
What I they can do (and have done) is not include the latest tech they have available. Like when the iPad Air didn't have TouchID, even though the iPhone 5S, which was released before the iPad, did. They use this trick so they can ''amaze us'' how they managed to put TouchID in the iPad Air successor. :p
Actually they used that trick because they couldn't make the TouchID sensors fast enough to meet the demand for the iPhone 5S.

I know this is true because my mind-reading skills are better than yours, and I actually know what they (and you) were thinking.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
When will hear about a Apple employee losing their iPhone at a bar ? Any guesses? 2 weeks I'd say

----------

When can we expect to hear about a Apple employee losing their iPhone at a bar ? Any guesses? 2 weeks I'd say

IIRC, that happened months before that iphone release, so we are well past that point you are implying (a purposeful leak).

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'm currently using my wife's 4 which is slowly dying. I had a nexus 4 which had a lovely screen, but a lousy camera.

Hopefully the 5.5 is real. Would be interesting to see it. May be too big for my everyday use but am remaining open minded about it all.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
I'm not sure what more you can expect from a phone. All of them are basically at their top. Yeah, they are faster and more powerful, but thats just so they can catch up with the apps, which are constantly demanding more. Not sure what else they could add to ''revolutionize'' a phone again. Only thing that hasn't moved forward as much as the other specs inside the phones is the battery.

There's plenty they can still do. Namely, add a lot more sensors. Not health sensors, as we won't be able to do many tricorder features for a while, and a heart rate sensor on a phone is 100% idiotic and a gimmick, as checking your heart rate at a given time is useless since anyone can do that by timing it with a clock. Health sensors need to be constantly monitoring, hence why Apple is making a watch (a wearable that is almost always attacked to your body).

The sensors I'm talking about are things like infrared, thermal, and 3D mapping sensors (among others). Virtual reality is going to be huge when the tech gets there. I imagine being able to hit the camera app (or a virtual reality app that uses the camera), to display live info on your screen for landmarks, street names, location names, on top of a slew of other things like object identification. Yes, this is a rare case but imagine you're in a smoke filled house which is on fire, you pull out your iPhone and you can clearly see on the display a 3D rendering of everything ahead of you, and where the fire is located based on thermal sensors. I really want to be able to hold my iPhone up and look at a tree and the iPhone to display the type of tree that is, live, on the screen, with information pertaining to that, or any other animate/inanimate objects. I also imagine the time where you'll be able to hold your iPhone up to a sign, or any writing which is in a foreign language, and it displays it perfectly in your native language, live, with absolutely no delay, like you hover over a foreign language and your iPhone display shows it in your language, but you looking at it in person, it is obviously a foreign language. Also things like showing you live on the display, your current distance from a particular point or object, your altitude difference, etc.

Another possibility in the future would be holographic projection, or at least normal projection, so you could watch a movie, view pictures, share a presentation, teach, etc. of course these would require new battery tech (please don't assume I mean current batteries could do this), on top of numerous other advancements I'm unaware of.

Anyway, just some futuristic ideas I have, which most are far off, so yeah I'm not sure they will change much soon.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
WMx5PiN.gif

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
To be fair, there's no way to prove the legitimacy of these leaked parts.

Yes... but a 5.5" sapphire piece would be hard evidence. MKBHD has already shown off the 4.7" sapphire. But no 5.5". There have been 4.7" back casing leaks... but no 5.5". The only 5.5 stuff we have seen have been mockups... THAT'S IT!

Things like the larger logic board that MaCrumors posted... COULD BE FROM AN iPAD!

I am not a believer in the 5.5" iPhone.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Wait, so it's going to be released in September afterall?:eek:

It's only a maybe at the moment. We will have to wait for the event where the release date will be formalised. Unless there's a leak before then that gives the date away.
Either way I'll be waiting until early next year when my current contract will be at a point where I can afford to pay it out and upgrade. Looking forward to it too.

kahuna2793

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
So cal
I sure hope the new iphone don't look like those pics that 5.5 looks huge they need to do something with the home button it's to big. The lg g3 5.5 screen is perfect no home button edge to edge display perfect. I hope iphone is something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.