Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
When did Apple say there will be a 4.7 inch and a 5.5 inch iPhone 6?
When did Apple say it will have a Sapphire crystal screen?

Apple did not. It's still a rumour a this point.

Please say "Is rumoured to" instead of "will" please. People will think Apple said all this when Apple has not.

There will be a 4.7" iPhone . It's fact .

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
In 2012 we got new iPods at the iPhone event. I wonder if the same will happen this year? My guess is the venue Apple choses will clue us in to how big this event is. If they use the small auditorium on campus then it's probably just a new iPhone and nothing else.

I don't think we can interpret anything if they set it for Yerba Buena/Moscone. If Apple is upending iPhone sizes its not going to want a new product to share the media spotlight with its profit center. Similarly, its not going to want a new product to get overshadowed by a much bigger product.

And if they use the Apple campus auditorium how does that preclude announcing an updated iOS capable AppleTV as a "warm up" act?

----------

There will be a 4.7" iPhone . It's fact .

No, it's not a "fact" until its announced. Until then it's an accepted rumor. Facts by definition are provable. Go to Apple's web pages and show me where they list a 4.7" iPhone for sale or in the works. All we have so far are lots of data points suggesting the existence of such a device, but even that doesn't mean it will go on sale.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Here's what Kara Swisher said on Twitter last night:

https://twitter.com/karaswisher/statuses/496787496093499392

330946w.jpg

I personally can't stand Kara Swisher, but WSJ has reason to be this arrogant. They are always accurate in Apple matters.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
9th of September:

Play Destiny or watch Apple Event - I'm torn!

Plug your Apple TV into your Xbox's HDMI port.. "Xbox Snap TV".. and boom, you don't have to choose.

Can't help you if you're on PS though.. stand up an iPad near you?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Yesterday at the mall I told my wife that I was waiting until both models are available so I can see them side by side before I decide which one to buy. Then she dropped the unanswerable question on me. "Why do you need a new phone, is there something wrong with the one you have?":( I was not prepared to answer with an appropriate reason, or at least one that she was willing to accept. She still uses her 6+ (?) year old, chipped cell phone. No data plan or text. She only uses a cell phone as a phone, imagine that. Maybe I'll wait for the 6s, ugh.

Let me try to help you out :)

This isn't a "needs" conversation. Needs are food, clothing, shelter. Anything beyond that is just "want", and balancing toys and happiness with budget.

Depending on what kind of plan you have with your carrier, you may already be paying for a new phone you don't own. Although this has recently started to change, typically your rate on your 2-year contract price doesn't change after your 2 years are up, so you're continuing to pay towards the subsidy of a phone you've long since "paid off". This can be reason enough to get a new one.

The batteries of these things have a defined lifetime, and in my experience it seems to be right around 18 months when the deterioration starts to be noticeable. And at that point it's hardly worth throwing more money at it by replacing a battery for a device that won't be supported with OS updates for much longer anyway. The price of the battery replacement is about half the cost of the subsidized base model of the new phone.

You may have started running into storage problems, as apps have seemingly doubled in size recently, your picture collection grows, etc. They aren't expandable, so to keep up, you're going to need a new one with more space.

(I could go on. :) )

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
People told me I’d get used to larger size with a Samsung phone. Samsung’s custom Android kernal was what really drove me away, though I didn’t like the size either. With a larger iPhone, I think getting used to the bigger size is more likely.

My hands aren't that big and a bigger phone is more likely to slip and fall when trying to use the phone with one hand.... I tried to like the Samsung S4 and I just couldn't and the Android didn't help either. But I was browsing and consuming a lot of content on that phone. With the 5S it's 90% talk and the rest is a quick glance at e-mail and that's about it and am happy with that.

I am going to be in 5S world for a long time and hopefully Apple will continue to make them as the size of the phone grows over time...

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
People are obsessing over one-handed use. You can't accurately zoom in on a picture (on iPhone) when holding it in one hand... It requires the pinch gesture, which is nearly impossible to achieve with the same hand you're holding the phone with.

So, for the benefits a bigger display brings, without loss of quality, I'm all for it.

After all, scrolling through music, contacts, dialling phone numbers, etc can be done on a large screen with one hand, so long as the OS scales appropriately. Can't reach the back button? There's a gesture for that.

If you're editing photos or video, working in iWork or anything like that, the chances are you're using two hands anyway.

All this discussion for a .7" increase in screen size...

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

Please say "Is rumoured to" instead of "will" please. People will think Apple said all this when Apple has not.

Is this really that big a deal? This is clearly a thread about a future iPhone event on a site specifically made for Apple rumors.

It any reader, even a casual one, can't figure out that nothing is confirmed yet and everything here is speculation, they probably can't afford the phone anyway due to having gone broke buying swampland in Florida.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009

Right, Apple will not come out with any new iPhones this year. :rolleyes:

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I always skip the odd iPhone releases. Even releases are usually better. Currently have an iPhone 4S and I believe its time to upgrade. Battery has been draining very quickly on that thing. Too bad these phones are gonna get sold out fairly quickly :/

Ummm, the 4S IS an odd release, so apparently you don't ALWAYS skip the odd releases.

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
Wish someone would make a iphone 6 paper template of the 4.7 and 5.5 inch so I can hold it before its released. Pretty sure I will get the 4.7 since i think 5.5 is way to big but still would like to see both.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Right, Apple will not come out with any new iPhones this year. :rolleyes:

That's not what his post meant.
That's correct. It's not what my post meant. I meant that people think they know what Apple will do better than Apple themselves. And they believe (incorrectly) that things can be confirmed before Apple confirms things.

The large phones will probably be released at the iPhone 6. There is enough rumours about this. But it's still all rumour till Apple officially confirms it (which has not happened yet. All the idiots who say "Apple are expected to do X" And "Apple will do Y" are just full of themselves. They know it's all rumour (but pretty plausible rumour) till Apple confirm it. They just like being *******s.

What I meant is that Apple is not jumping into the larger smartphone form factor only because they noticed competitors trying that way (read: "I have no strategy but someone else is going that way... me too!"). Apple tried a very clear strategy which involved keeping a smaller form factor and if they are going to release a large format it's not simply to emulate competitors, it's most likely because Apple realized their strategy was not the winning one.
I think having the most profits of any individual phone line by a huge margin is winning. Apple strategy of decent sized phones is winning. We don't know if it's to emulate the competitors. The iPad Mini sure feels like that. Apart from screen size there's no real difference between the iPad and iPad Mini. That feels like a smaller "me too" sized tablet. Sure it will bring in lots of profits but it is what it is.

If the overzised rumoured Apple phones are not "me too" phones then Apple will tell us why they are not "me too" and how they are different (in ways other then just screen size) to what we have now. The rumours are pointing towards "me too" but if it's not Apple will surely tell us soon enough.

----------

Is this really that big a deal? This is clearly a thread about a future iPhone event on a site specifically made for Apple rumors.

It any reader, even a casual one, can't figure out that nothing is confirmed yet and everything here is speculation, they probably can't afford the phone anyway due to having gone broke buying swampland in Florida.

Is this really that big a deal?
Yes

A lot of rich people have more dollars than sense. They can easily afford 100 iPhones. But they still believe (wrongly) that others can confirm what Apple will do in the future. We can speculate, we can guess, we can rationalise, but we can't confirm. Lots of people like to think they can confirm, bot only Apple can confirm.

This will stop being a big deal when people stop believing they can confirm Apple future plans.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Wish someone would make a iphone 6 paper template of the 4.7 and 5.5 inch so I can hold it before its released. Pretty sure I will get the 4.7 since i think 5.5 is way to big but still would like to see both.

Not sure if you're willing to pay or not,but you can get a mockup one online for 14.99usd. I was certain I was getting the 5.5. However I ordered the mockup 4.7 and it's plenty big for me. I also ordered a case for a 5.5 (it comes today) so I can compare. That case was only like 3.00usd.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

Does this help?

This is a mocked up (to scale) 5.5" iPhone 6.

Best viewed on an iPad obviously! :D

fe665b3358ca1c31cd26a88694e6b58b_zps535156ee.jpg

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Is this really that big a deal?
Yes

A lot of rich people have more dollars than sense. They can easily afford 100 iPhones. But they still believe (wrongly) that others can confirm what Apple will do in the future. We can speculate, we can guess, we can rationalise, but we can't confirm. Lots of people like to think they can confirm, bot only Apple can confirm.

This will stop being a big deal when people stop believing they can confirm Apple future plans.

So...someone is going to come to Mac*Rumors*, read a post that claims NFC,better battery, IR blaster or any of the other *rumors* that get posted on Mac*Rumors* and...what...make a bad purchasing decision?

Yeah...not trying to be a jerk but I'm having a hard time caring what poor assumptions this hypothetical person is going to make.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010

Why "Perv"?
69 = just a number....BUT...if you are referring to that human interactivity that is often associated with that specific number, I would like to add that it is in no way perverse but highly enjoyable and most entertaining for both involved persons...you should give it a try sometime ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.