Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Why is this a surprise ?! Lmao they do the same thing every year ... iOS only has a certain amount of betas . In order to maximize holiday quarter profits they start selling in September .

It's not rocket science .......

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I wonder if it will be the best iphone they've ever created to date?

The fastest and the thinnest?

Ready for pocketgate: it won't fit in my pocket!

:D

Pangu v2 for iOS 8 or evasi0n8 and sold!

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
What I they can do (and have done) is not include the latest tech they have available. Like when the iPad Air didn't have TouchID, even though the iPhone 5S, which was released before the iPad, did. They use this trick so they can ''amaze us'' how they managed to put TouchID in the iPad Air successor. :p

You hit the nail on the head. I'm willing to bet that Apple has more technology available but will hold off implementing it until the next generation and later. That ensures that many folks will continue to upgrade every year, not due to need but do due want. It's a great marketing strategy. I usually upgrade every other cycle no matter how much Apple tries to convince me (through their keynotes and commercials) that I need the latest and greatest.

Yesterday at the mall I told my wife that I was waiting until both models are available so I can see them side by side before I decide which one to buy. Then she dropped the unanswerable question on me. "Why do you need a new phone, is there something wrong with the one you have?":( I was not prepared to answer with an appropriate reason, or at least one that she was willing to accept. She still uses her 6+ (?) year old, chipped cell phone. No data plan or text. She only uses a cell phone as a phone, imagine that. Maybe I'll wait for the 6s, ugh.

hellowulu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Yes... Time for a new phone :)

(As developers, we're hopeful the new screen size will not impact our launch too much.)

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm inclined to believe that the 5.5 inch doesn't exist, but we'll see if Apple proves me wrong.

If the 5.5" exists, Apple won't be proving anything to anyone.

Those that said it didn't exist will simply have been wrong and those that said it did, will have been right.

FWIW, I still think a 5.5" is coming (alongside a 4.7").

----------

yeah, i guess i should have said that, my discover gives me an additional one year warranty.

Thanks, I just checked my Amex card and discovered some benefits I didn't realise I had:

AMEX said:
Eligible items you buy on your Card in the UK have Refund Protection. Items are covered up to 90 days and we’ll replace or refund up to a maximum of £200. Even if the retailer won't.

You also get Purchase Protection. If you bought it on your Card and it’s stolen or damaged within 90 days, we'll replace or repair it, or refund you up to £2,500 per eligible item

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dear MacRumors
You cannot 'confirm' a rumor with a rumor. Only Apple can 'confirm' if a rumor is true or not. The Wall Street Journal or Bloomberg can only confirm the date if they have a direct acknowledgment from Apple. However, if you check your links, you will see that WSJ and Bloomberg are only citing rumors, not official confirmation. In fact, they state their info is "according to a person familiar with the matter." That 'person' may actually be you (MacRumors). So you may have MacRumors citing rumors based on MacRumors as confirmation of their rumor. Please correct your announcement. Thank you.

No, WSJ and Bloomberg only use sources that they can verify or trust and therefore both have a near or completely perfect record with their "rumors". They would never rely on a rumorsite that aggregates news from other sources. You can bet that it will happen on the 9th. This is as close to an Apple confirmation as you can get, save from a "yep" from Jim Dalrymple.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Crazy if you think there will be a 5.5 at 299 breaking price point.
399 and 32GB
499 64 GB
599. 128GB.

I'll take bets with anyone on the site on this.

ok, ill take that bet.

at retail, a 5.5 128GB iPhone 6 will be > $1000

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
No, WSJ and Bloomberg only use sources that they can verify or trust and therefore both have a near or completely perfect record with their "rumors". They would never rely on a rumorsite that aggregates news from other sources. You can bet that it will happen on the 9th. This is as close to an Apple confirmation as you can get, save from a "yep" from Jim Dalrymple.
I'm going to guess that you don't work in the media field, specifically journalism.

A "trusted source" is a legal loophole for releasing a story without a definitive confirmation from the subject of the story. It requires two sources who must be associated with the subject in some manor.

My sources in the past have included housekeepers, hookers, "neighbors" who lived two blocks away and a few taxi drivers.

"Reliable sources" are an inside joke in the media arena. And so are the people, audience and analysts who take the story for fact because of those two words.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
From inside sources there will be a additionally 100$ price for both. 299$ for 4.7" and 399$ for the 5.5".

4.7"- 16Gb 299$
- 32Gb 349$
-64Gb 399$
-128Gb 449$

The main product will be more expansive thanks to the bigger and sapphire glass but the internal memory will be only 50$ extra thanks to the 2014 year and the ssd are less expensive now days.

Please don't ask me anything else

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
You hit the nail on the head. I'm willing to bet that Apple has more technology available but will hold off implementing it until the next generation and later. That ensures that many folks will continue to upgrade every year, not due to need but do due want. It's a great marketing strategy. I usually upgrade every other cycle no matter how much Apple tries to convince me (through their keynotes and commercials) that I need the latest and greatest.

Yesterday at the mall I told my wife that I was waiting until both models are available so I can see them side by side before I decide which one to buy. Then she dropped the unanswerable question on me. "Why do you need a new phone, is there something wrong with the one you have?":( I was not prepared to answer with an appropriate reason, or at least one that she was willing to accept. She still uses her 6+ (?) year old, chipped cell phone. No data plan or text. She only uses a cell phone as a phone, imagine that. Maybe I'll wait for the 6s, ugh.

Logic has absolutely nothing to do with getting a new phone, or a car for that matter!!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm all for a September 9th event, what's betting they will announce a 4.7" iPhone 6 and a 5.5" iPhone? Personally I think even if the 5.5" is delayed a little, they will announce both and just say the 5.5" will be available at a later date (maybe a few weeks later in October).

As for price points I think the price will be higher by about £50 ($100) for the iPhone 6. It's what they did with the iPhone 5.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'm going to guess that you don't work in the media field, specifically journalism.

A "trusted source" is a legal loophole for releasing a story without a definitive confirmation from the subject of the story. It requires two sources who must be associated with the subject in some manor.

My sources in the past have included housekeepers, hookers, "neighbors" who lived two blocks away and a few taxi drivers.

"Reliable sources" are an inside joke in the media arena. And so are the people, audience and analysts who take the story for fact because of those two words.

I'm aware of all these things even while I don't work in journalism or as a journalist.

The point that I made was that the WSJ has a perfect track record on these kinds of rumours, which clearly indicates that their sources can be trusted to be very close to the actual facts.

WSJ has since at least 2007 consistently increased their reporting close to Apple announcements with accurate reports on release dates, functionality and other product related news.

So, while I agree with your overall classification of rumors, we can be pretty sure that the 9th of september is now confirmed.

By the way.. I saw in your profile that you are in fact a journalist. Could you point me to some of your articles? Genuinely interested in your work!

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Yesterday at the mall I told my wife that I was waiting until both models are available so I can see them side by side before I decide which one to buy. Then she dropped the unanswerable question on me. "Why do you need a new phone, is there something wrong with the one you have?":(

I've promised to give my wife my old iPhone. She seems happy with that :)

Some of the leaks seem to show provision for new sensors/parts, so Apple could surprise us. I'm not sure what it could be apart from NFC, though (a meh for me!).

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
My wife dropped the unanswerable question on me. "Why do you need a new phone, is there something wrong with the one you have?"

Gadgets and toys are rarely ordered based on need, but on desire.

My iPhone 4 still runs like a clockwork after 4 years of hardcore use, and I dont NEED a new phone at all... just like I dont NEED a new leather jacket, or a car. Guess what? I will be buying the new iPhone 5.5 the moment it's released, just because I simply DESIRE it :)

----------

Can someone explain the "This or that confirms Half-Life 3" joke?

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm hoping they'll come down a bit - All the Mac updates we've had recently have had a price cut.

While that would be good and i too would like to see a price drop or even prices kept at the same as the current 5S and 5C, i think that they will raise the price, mainly because of the rumoured sapphire glass and bigger screen, Apple will charge a premium for it. If there is a 5.5" iPhone, again i think Apple will charge a premium price point and if the 4.7" is the same price point as the current 5S, then the 5."5 iPhone 6 will probably be more expensive.

I could be wrong and this is only my opinion. Nothing is known 100% until Apple announce.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
From inside sources there will be a additionally 100$ price for both. 299$ for 4.7" and 399$ for the 5.5".

4.7"- 16Gb 299$
- 32Gb 349$
-64Gb 399$
-128Gb 449$

The main product will be more expansive thanks to the bigger and sapphire glass but the internal memory will be only 50$ extra thanks to the 2014 year and the ssd are less expensive now days.

Please don't ask me anything else

Ah, another one. "Inside sources". You really expect us to believe you?

So for the first time Apple will provide FOUR capacities to choose from will they?

And both models will have sapphire glass?

LOL.

GavApple

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
UK
I have had iPhones since Feb 2010 and have been on the 'S' cycle due to contracts etc.
But every iPhone event I get excited for (even if not planning on getting it), and this one is no exception. I have finally got onto the O2 Refresh programme for my 5S and I may actually upgrade to the 6 :D
Very much looking forward to this event!!! :D:apple::D

MFiGamer

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
CA
Apple Invite

iphone6_zpse2d8d015.jpg

• iPhone 6 4.7)
  • iPhone 6 (5.5)
  • iPod 6th Gen

Join the Revelation @9am on the 9th Day of the 9th Month

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
When did Apple say there will be a 4.7 inch and a 5.5 inch iPhone 6?
When did Apple say it will have a Sapphire crystal screen?

Apple did not. It's still a rumour a this point.

Please say "Is rumoured to" instead of "will" please. People will think Apple said all this when Apple has not.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
In 2012 we got new iPods at the iPhone event. I wonder if the same will happen this year? My guess is the venue Apple choses will clue us in to how big this event is. If they use the small auditorium on campus then it's probably just a new iPhone and nothing else.

----------

Here's what Kara Swisher said on Twitter last night:

https://twitter.com/karaswisher/statuses/496787496093499392

330946w.jpg

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Gadgets and toys are rarely ordered based on need, but on desire.

My iPhone 4 still runs like a clockwork after 4 years of hardcore use, and I dont NEED a new phone at all... just like I dont NEED a new leather jacket, or a car. Guess what? I will be buying the new iPhone 5.5 the moment it's released, just because I simply DESIRE it :)

Well, you leave out economics. Sometimes the "cost of ownership" plays a factor in upgrading, be it a car or a phone. I could keep my car 4 years and trade or 6 years and trade. It's still costing me $550/mo either way, so upgrading every 4 makes economic sense. Same goes w/ the iPhone. Keep 2 years, unlock it, sell it for MORE than it's original subsidized cost. Use proceeds to buy upgraded phone. Use remainder to pay for a few months cell service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.