Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What doesn't make sense to me is that if we have to have cable in order to view some of this content, like the new Disney Channels and HBO, then why would I even bother watching it through the AppleTV over just watching it directly on my TV through the cable box. We're adding an unnecessary middle-man.

Because it gives you access to free extra screens in the house. Cable companies still charge a lot of money for extra cable boxes. With an Apple TV and a growing number of channels, you can own one cable box and still have access to other programming at the same time.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
He was fired? I thought he announced a retirement in the next 12 months.

He announced a complete remodeling of the company structure and steps down only a few weeks later, with no successor announced.

This is similar to Scott Forstall stepping down and acting as an advisor to Tim Cook, when it really was nothing but showing him the door/a quiet little office down a corridor that no one ever uses - without windows.

If it is something like that. We have no real reason to believe so. He said interface not 'techno jazzy way of doing things'

An interface can be any kind of input/output system that enables the user to use something.
A mouse and GUI is an interface, a touchdisplay and GUI is an interface --- Siri is an interface.
That pointy thing that they shove into the back of the head in Matrix?
An interface!

I just hope Apple is not adopting THAT for the AppleTV ^^

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Moron let Samsung beat them to the market with a SmartWatch.

Samsung also beat Apple to the mp3 player market (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63924) and we know how that turned out...

Samsung is only doing a SmartWatch because they knew Apple was working on one (funny how when you make components for another company you seem to somehow know what products they have in the pipeline that you can copy/try to beat).

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
What doesn't make sense to me is that if we have to have cable in order to view some of this content, like the new Disney Channels and HBO, then why would I even bother watching it through the AppleTV over just watching it directly on my TV through the cable box. We're adding an unnecessary middle-man.

Because HBO GO>>>> HBO On-demand. I can watch pretty much any HBO original content, ever made, through my AppleTV. Via cable box, I only have a limited selection, based on what is in the current rotation.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Is anyone aware of a web site that has an overview of Apple TV contents in different regions/countries? Many of these apps are missing in Europe, at least for now it seems... :rolleyes:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Seriously Apple need to do some work on getting material for non-US customers. Here in the UK we pay considerably more for the ATV but do not get access to the services available in the US. I know that the contracts will be territory based, but really they need to put some effort into offerings and agreements here in the UK, or they need to seriously consider selling the ATV at half the price as it is now nobbled in comparison to the US box!

You might not be getting all the channels we are here in the States (mainly due to content deals), but Apple isn't removing any of the features that your AppleTV shipped with. Contrast that to the Google Chromecast which, with it's latest update, blocked an app that gave users ability to stream local files.

Last edited:

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
They can't. Any more than Time Warner. Apple doesn't have the power in this game. The cable companies do. They have contractual deals affording them exclusive rights to broadcast in their areas. Until Apple can get the content providers to change the terms of their deals to allow direct access. It's a no go

Apple also finds themselves in a tough spot because they can't just go and try to get themselves defined as a cable company because of the government approved oligopoly that is the cable companies. In many areas only one company is allowed to operate via cable and the cable companies could try to argue that that includes their cable based Internet feeds and shut Apple out that way. So first they would need to get some kind of legal judgment splitting the two feeds up and barring the cable companies from blocking or throttling based on type of data or source. And they can't get that until a company does that kind of blocking and why bother until the first issue of the content contracts is solved.

All of which I think is what the rumored talks are about. Both for these apps, the iTunes stores etc

Finally some sense on this thread.

Every time there is an update, everyone gets mad that they can't get channels for free or directly...right now most traditional channels have no reason to switch to this way. Some estimate of ESPN would be 30 a month for people or higher - and yes a lot of cord cutters don't care if they aren't sports fans, but for those of us who like sports that is a bit ridiculous.

Not to mention that all the money for "unwanted channels" provides money to make shows on some obscure network you might enjoy....

The direct pricing game might not be as "cheap" as people think.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Finally some sense on this thread.

I work in the industry so I know a lot about the whole cable, ratings etc.

Which by the by the latter is another beast Apple has to get around. Despite the growth of online sources, most nets still view OTA ratings as the key for determining budget recovery by shows. Anything from online viewing or sales goes into other profit pools that don't generally credit the shows. So they could go guns blazing on iTunes season passes but the ratings suck so goodbye show. Even if the combined earnings were more than enough to cover the budget.

And because of this, many nets are loathe to do anything that willfully takes eyes off the OTA.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
You might not be getting all the channels we are here in the States (mainly due to content deals), but Apple isn't removing any of the features that your AppleTV shipped with. Contrast that to the Google Chromecast which, with it's latest update, blocked an app that gave users ability to stream local files.

What are you talking about? Google did not remove a feature that Chromecast was shipped with. That feature was added via a third-party app. They've also gone on record saying they have no problems with local content apps, but with the SDK constantly changing, which is in "developer preview," things might break as was the case here.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
every time the AppleTV gets a new "app", my hopes and dreams of a proper app store die a little more.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
I couldn't agree more. I have Dish Network and access to all those channels in my subscription. Why would I want to watch them on ATV????:confused:

Why would you want to watch them on ATV? So you can watch whatever they have to offer without any time constraints? For instance I can rewatch the Game of Thrones seasons using the HBO app without having to wait for it to rerun on HBO.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Will we have to wait for apps on Apple TV for even just TV channels? Why is Roku so much further ahead of apple on this? I want one, I just cannot justify until they allow some channels I can get other ways and some apps so that I can play all my iPhoto videos on the TV.

Because Roku is small fish compared to Apple and cable cos I'm sure think they have the upper hand in that relationship.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why would you want to watch them on ATV? So you can watch whatever they have to offer without any time contraints? For instance I can rewatch the Game of Thrones seasons using the HBO app without having to wait for it to rerun on HBO.

But I can do that with DirecTV's HBO On Demand channel.

fh-ace

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
What's the point if I have to keep cable?

If we get enough quality channels I can finally get rid of the extra cost cable boxes for my second and third TVs. I'd love it if Apple could cut direct deals with content providers, but until they do at least by eliminating "extra" cable boxes I'm cutting down on the amount of wasted dollars going to cable companies.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
History Channel maybe?

That and Biography would be good.

I could also see Lynda.com appear at some point. Lifetime etc.

Food Network would be another one. And one of the few that I could see making an argument for apps rather than the 'in the store' idea that I mentioned earlier. Because then they could do things like show the recipe on your iPhone or iPad and give you access to saving it, sharing it etc. Then again they might have another way to solve that riddle given that there are second screen apps that work with blu-rays and such. So the same thing with a show 'in the store' might still work. Even be connected in other ways like showing you buying links to songs featured or the clothes someone is wearing etc. All through some kind of second screen app. Maybe even a universal one

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
But I can do that with DirecTV's HBO On Demand channel.

Key is DirecTV. And you likely can't get that channel without some type of basic programming package.

Compared to say paying $20/month via IAP for direct access to HBOGo on an Apple TV, smart TV etc with no cable or satellite service needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.