Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cps22

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Got mine :) delivered on the 5th october, one day late but oh well, going to set it up now.

hatcheeks

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Sheffield
got mine this afternoon from meadowhall. they had plenty on the shelves.

i must say i am well impressed so far. great UI as always with apple. even my wife is impressed !!

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I'm fed up that I ordered mine over a month ago and am still waiting, I could have gone to Meadowhall and picked one up. So much for pre-ordering, I've still got a week to wait before my EDD/

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
I'm fed up that I ordered mine over a month ago and am still waiting, I could have gone to Meadowhall and picked one up. So much for pre-ordering, I've still got a week to wait before my EDD/

Cancel the order and buy in store. Phone apple and tell them that delivery sucks.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Cancel the order and buy in store. Phone apple and tell them that delivery sucks.

It's tempting. The downside is that trips to the Apple store always end up more expensive than I intend :eek: I think I'll give them another bell tomorrow to ry and get things moving faster, or at least tell them I'm not happy with the delivery.

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
Rental sucks

Really, really small - shiny - plugged in, set up and tested. Flawless discovery of wifi, picked up home iTunes libraries, played a biut of a movie, watched a film trailer (Megamind - who knew?), played a TV episode, watched Youtube, changed some settings.

Awesome - and it just works too

Once I have stopped grinning I'll post a more detailed review but so far I am really, really impressed.

Sorry for delay - still not detailed review but the title says it. Rented Kick Ass- first 15 mins went ok then locked out & 1100 plus minutes to 'be ready to play' - ignored it & watched something else, went back & even longer - meanwhile 48 hour countdown ticks away. All else ok watching internally streamed stuff with no problem. Only slight niggle is main library dropping out a couple of times. Need more time to bottom out the issues but not all shiny just now.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Sorry for delay - still not detailed review but the title says it. Rented Kick Ass- first 15 mins went ok then locked out & 1100 plus minutes to 'be ready to play' - ignored it & watched something else, went back & even longer - meanwhile 48 hour countdown ticks away. All else ok watching internally streamed stuff with no problem. Only slight niggle is main library dropping out a couple of times. Need more time to bottom out the issues but not all shiny just now.

What's your normal internet speed?

harpal999

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2009
what a ******** joke...

5 Oct 2010 10:15:15 Slough Shipment Received At Destination Depot.
04 Oct 2010 18:00:00 Slough Time Constraint Prevented Delivery. Delivery At First Opportunity
04 Oct 2010 16:58:55 Slough Shipment Held In Warehouse. Follow Up Actions Underway.
04 Oct 2010 07:09:02 Slough Out For Delivery.
04 Oct 2010 07:01:27 Slough Shipment Received At Destination Depot.
04 Oct 2010 06:08:54 Slough Out For Delivery.
04 Oct 2010 04:07:40 Slough Shipment Received At Destination Depot.
01 Oct 2010 22:19:34 Northampton Hub Shipment In Transit.
30 Sep 2010 19:47:57 Arnhem Hub Shipment In Transit.
29 Sep 2010 09:30:24 Hong Kong Shipment In Transit.
29 Sep 2010 04:26:20 Hong Kong Shipment Received At Transit Point.
29 Sep 2010 02:13:00 SZ1 Shipment In Transit.
29 Sep 2010 01:55:37 SZ1 Shipment In Transit.
28 Sep 2010 22:27:04 SZ1 Shipment Collected From Sender.

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
What's your normal internet speed?

5-6 meg on a good day, 2 on a poor day. Very rural & quite lucky. Only trouble I ever have is with iTunes where it slows to a crawl. Of course I was only ever going to dip my toe with rental so not much lost - pity it is so ****e though.

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
5-6 meg on a good day, 2 on a poor day. Very rural & quite lucky. Only trouble I ever have is with iTunes where it slows to a crawl. Of course I was only ever going to dip my toe with rental so not much lost - pity it is so ****e though.

Take it back - being a bit impatient - once it had buffered it let me know it was ready to watch and the film played without incident or hiccup - not a bad film either. Only advice is prepare in advance I guess.

rogerram

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Deepings, UK
Delivery

Hi,
just a quick question. Ordered my ATV on Saturday 2 October 2010 from Apple by phone. I was pleased to get shipping notification on Wednesday 6 October with delivery on Monday 11th.
On the Order Status it says carrier G3 WORLDWIDE NETHERLANDS BV who I think are TNT. However, none of the tracking numbers work & Apple say it's at Hinckley, will be delivered by 'post' & can't be tracked.
Has anyone else had this?
Seems weird to me they give you a tracking number that can't track anything. Never expected the ATV so soon, but just frustrating to not know where it is now. Patience is a virtue but I don't have any!

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well mine has finally arrived! It's just been delivered by UPS!
I assume it came through UPS as it was ordered in conjunction with a refurb airport express.

rogerram

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Deepings, UK
Hi,
just a quick question. Ordered my ATV on Saturday 2 October 2010 from Apple by phone. I was pleased to get shipping notification on Wednesday 6 October with delivery on Monday 11th.
On the Order Status it says carrier G3 WORLDWIDE NETHERLANDS BV who I think are TNT. However, none of the tracking numbers work & Apple say it's at Hinckley, will be delivered by 'post' & can't be tracked.
Has anyone else had this?
Seems weird to me they give you a tracking number that can't track anything. Never expected the ATV so soon, but just frustrating to not know where it is now. Patience is a virtue but I don't have any!

Just reserved one for pickup this afternoon at Apple Cambridge. My impatience is expensive...

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well mine has finally arrived! It's just been delivered by UPS!
I assume it came through UPS as it was ordered in conjunction with a refurb airport express.

Goof to hear you've got it - I remain impressed with mine because it does exactly what it says on the box - oh and the potential is huge. Enjoy.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Just reserved one for pickup this afternoon at Apple Cambridge. My impatience is expensive...

How do you check stock or reserve stuff at Apple stores in the UK? Or is it a case of phone up and ask nicely and they just hide one out the back somewhere?

David

rogerram

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Deepings, UK
How do you check stock or reserve stuff at Apple stores in the UK? Or is it a case of phone up and ask nicely and they just hide one out the back somewhere?

David

I think it was'ask nicely'-the Genius I asked seemed quite surprised there was one tucked away-I did see one left on the shelf anyway.
ATV 2 arrived by post today anyway unfortunately-up till 2.30 am trying to get sound using optical cable & DVI connection-no joy. Think the answer lies in an HDMI splitter from Maplins. (Only 1 HDMI slot on our Phillips tv)

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
Only 1 HDMI slot on our Phillips tv
I use an hdmi switchbox - 4 hdmi inputs, one output for the TV. The one I use is the Octava HDS4a and it is superb. It can carry optical or coax video as well.

More details here..

In fact, I go one step further. My Hitachi plasma panel has no hdmi inputs, so I feed the output from the Octava switch into a small converter, an HDFury 2, which in turn connects to the component inputs of my TV. The HDFury 2 sits behind my plasma panel and has short analog connections to the TV. Works a treat with everything I've thrown at it.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I use an hdmi switchbox - 4 hdmi inputs, one output for the TV. The one I use is the Octava HDS4a and it is superb. It can carry optical or coax video as well.

More details here..

In fact, I go one step further. My Hitachi plasma panel has no hdmi inputs, so I feed the output from the Octava switch into a small converter, an HDFury 2, which in turn connects to the component inputs of my TV. The HDFury 2 sits behind my plasma panel and has short analog connections to the TV. Works a treat with everything I've thrown at it.

I have a weird setup that I thought I would confirm works great with an Apple TV. I have 4 HDMI devices sat in the computer room connected to a 4x2 Matrix HDMI switcher. This has 4 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs and you can have any combination going on at once. This means you can have different signals going to the two TV's or the same image on both.

The two HDMI outputs are then routed through HDMI ethernet adapters using 4x 20M ethernet cables (2 for each run) to two TV's in the living room and the bedroom.

With this setup I can have the Apple TV running on either or both screens in the house at the same time. This setup was installed and designed just using some relatively (for the features) cheap devices off the internet. I would highly recommend doing it if you can sort out the cabling between rooms.

Main benefits are

One room with all the electronics so your living room / bedroom does not have a pile of devices and cables just a lone HDMI cable out the wall. This tends to keep my girlfriend happy with the lack of cable spaghetti.

You don't need to move devices between TV's depending on what is going on. This setup means the Blueray, DVD, consoles and Apple TV are all kept in one room hidden away but can be played on either TV with no effort.

Bedroom and Living room are quiet as all the tech is in the next room.

No need to get a DVD player/ Apple TV for multiple rooms.

Adding new devices to the system is easy as you just have to plug them into your device pile.

Being able to walk from the living room into the bedroom with the same Blueray playing in both rooms (in perfect sync) is quite cool. :)

This system works well when your controllers are wireless, the Wii for example would not work with this system. Although I have a solution for that as well planned the next time I get a chance to do some major DIY, right now I don't want to go through the cable routing in walls again for a while :)

Edwin

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.