Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Bought a Blue Nanopod just for all my endless BBC podcasts I seem to be subscribing to. I can finally free up my ol' Touch for iTunes U video lectures and such.

Music? Oh yeah. That's what my Product Red Nano is for ... :cool:

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Nice to see FM radio is finally added, but a camera is kind of pointless in my opinion. Now if it was on the Touch that is another story.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
That rumor about the iPod Touch having production issues was true...shocked that it delayed the camera getting added altogether.

Flighty

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
I'm pleased there's no camera, I can't see the point of it personally. A bit frustrated at the cost, does the new 64GB cost more than the second gen 32??

Thinking back to the release of the first gens, the 8 and 16 came out together in September, however the 32 came out a month later. Wondering if they're going to do something like this again this year?

So yes, I'm getting a 64GB, unless of course they surprise us suddenly with a 128 version. But I'm gonna wait a little while longer. I use my iPod for music performance videos combined with subtitles as I am deaf and 'hear' through an artificial cochlear implant. As such I don't want an iPhone either. Just a bloody good music player, which is what the iPod Touch really is.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Apple could have had $300 from me today if the new iPod Touch had a built in camera with video. The iPod Touch update is lame.

From me too. Even more....again they forgot to include GPS. Pictures without GPS loc data do not go seamless with iPhoto. iPhoto´s geotagging remains to be exclusivly for the rest of our non-Apple-products. I really can not understand this point.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I don't care about everything else... it was just an iPod show after all. BUT, I can't believe they kept the old hardware in the 16GB iPod Touch! You now have to spend $300 for the 32GB to get the Cortex-A8/PowerVR SGX.

They are purposefully playing down that fact to be able to sell last years hardware at today's prices. At least I understand the difference. Do you know how many people are going to pick up the 16GB Touch without realizing it doesn't have the same capabilities as the 32GB/64GB? All of these new games will be coming out and they will run really crappy on the 16GB because of the weak processor and graphics chip. Not to mention future OpenGL2 games won't run at all.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Face it, folks.

It's aaaaall about the iPhone. We're already heading toward total device convergence, and Apple just made a clear statement to that effect.

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
So it took around 1 year and 7 months (February 2008 to September 2009) for the high end Touch to double in capacity from 32 gigs to 64 gigs. I am hoping that a 128 gig model will be available sometime in the next year and a half or so. I've been patiently waiting for it and will continue waiting patiently. It's pointless to have a nice widescreen handheld video player with a pretty limited amount of storage.

tabasco70

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Japan
Probably a technical issue, like they couldn't cram a camera into there, or by doing so the cost would change, and was therefore a bad move. Something like that.

Well besides that, the iPod nano looks absolutely filthy. I would get one if I didn't have a Classic already.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I think that the iPod Touch was definitely due a camera. They must have withdrawn it at the last moment. Its makes no sense otherwise.

with the manufacturing runs of these things and the lead time required, at the last moment probably means months ago.

i've read of reports of a few instances of iphone OS3 being recorded as far back as January of this year in SF. Apple probably had the design nailed down early this year and there was never a camera to begin with or they had problems in testing

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Its that kind of attitude which has led to the range getting pretty stagnant.

I think it's pretty obvious that the reason for boring touch update is NOT because Apple is "out of ideas", but because they had technical problems with the camera (like the rumors said), so they went with plan B: drop the camera, and go ahead with the launch.

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
I call Apple greed on this one. Not wanting to cannibalizing the iPhone sales over giving customers the innovation they want... which was what Apple was originally created for!

They've dropped the 16GB to make customers who think the 8GB is too wimpy, upgrade to the 32GB. :mad:

Call me jaded, but who wants to bet AT&T had a say in nixing the camera/mic?

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
I don't care about everything else... it was just an iPod show after all. BUT, I can't believe they kept the old hardware in the 16GB iPod Touch! You now have to spend $300 for the 32GB to get the Cortex-A8/PowerVR SGX.

They are purposefully playing down that fact to be able to sell last years hardware at today's prices. At least I understand the difference. Do you know how many people are going to pick up the 16GB Touch without realizing it doesn't have the same capabilities as the 32GB/64GB? All of these new games will be coming out and they will run really crappy on the 16GB because of the weak processor and graphics chip. Not to mention future OpenGL2 games won't run at all.

Actually they aren't even selling the 16 GB anymore. It's the 8 GB that you're talking about.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
iPods are slowly being eclipsed by iPhones. The phoneless mp3/mediaplayer is dying. We all need to accept that.

Not until they DOUBLE the capacity of their batteries, it won't. Making phone calls, listening to music, playing video's and games... Your battery is empty before you know it.

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
I think it's pretty obvious that the reason for boring touch update is NOT because Apple is "out of ideas", but because they had technical problems with the camera (like the rumors said), so they went with plan B: drop the camera, and go ahead with the launch.

Then why wouldn't they say "we got a camera in the Touch, but due to a tech. issue, it will be delayed a month, but expect it"? The idea of them dropping it all together due to a small delay doesn't sound plausible.

ipodtouch-user

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Probably a technical issue, like they couldn't cram a camera into there, or by doing so the cost would change, and was therefore a bad move. Something like that.

Well besides that, the iPod nano looks absolutely filthy. I would get one if I didn't have a Classic already.

They couldn't cram a camera in there?? They managed it with the nano apparently. Horrible ipod touch "upgrade".

Cvstos

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2004
No camera, no $$$

No camera in the Touch means I'm not buying a new one. I'll stick with the 2G I got for free with my new MacBook Pro. I'm actually rather pissed because I really wanted that camera! The one in my cell phone is awful and I can't afford the iPhone plan.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I for one am estatic about the new touch. Would a camera have been nice? Yes. Should they have put that video camera on the touch as well? Absolutely. However the one thing that I have been waiting for almost two years is here 64GB! I already have an excellent GPS device so I don't care for that and I could care less about the video camera/camera; my blackberry already does that.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Then why wouldn't they say "we got a camera in the Touch, but due to a tech. issue, it will be delayed a month, but expect it"? The idea of them dropping it all together due to a small delay doesn't sound plausible.

thats why I think it was just a rumor-a rumor that appeared to be very real but not. Lets not forget the "other" thing that we didnt see; four guys from Liverpool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.