Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtouch-user

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
No camera in the Touch means I'm not buying a new one. I'll stick with the 2G I got for free with my new MacBook Pro. I'm actually rather pissed because I really wanted that camera! The one in my cell phone is awful and I can't afford the iPhone plan.

Exactly my situation Cvstos. I am also irritated with Apple. :mad:

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
C'mon, we have FM!

Why all the negativity?!
These are pretty nice updates. If I had any money, I might even buy the touch!:cool:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If the new Touch had a camera, I very well might have bought one - but my first-gen 16GB Touch is still working just fine. I disagree with the folks who think it's a "bad update" - increasing memory is always worthwhile - but there's nothing particularly compelling in the new models.

If the iPhone were available on a lower-priced plan, I'd just go that route - but not all of us use our phones enough to make spending an additional 70-100 dollars a month a reasonable option. Heck, right now on T-Mobile we're spending 75 bucks total for three lines. :D

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I think it's pretty obvious that the reason for boring touch update is NOT because Apple is "out of ideas", but because they had technical problems with the camera (like the rumors said), so they went with plan B: drop the camera, and go ahead with the launch.

yeah that's it

they remanufactured millions of ipod touches with different hardware in the matter of a week, rewrote the OS 3.1 software, QA'd it all and packed them up and had them in apple stores ready to sell today

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Then why wouldn't they say "we got a camera in the Touch, but due to a tech. issue, it will be delayed a month, but expect it"?

Apple doesn't talk about future products, they talk about products that they are releasing at that time. I can only think of two exceptions to that rule: AppleTV and Xserve RAID. And those two were a different case, since they were not an alternative to an existing Apple-product. Had they said that "soon iPod touch will have a camera as well, but not right now" the sales of the touch would have tanked, as people started waiting for the touch with camera that would be released "any day now".

The idea of them dropping it all together due to a small delay doesn't sound plausible.

Yes it does. And what makes you think it was a "small delay"? If it were just few weeks or something, they would have released it today, and said that it will be available by the end of the month. But since they didn't, you can be pretty damn sure that the problem is bigger, and therefore the delay would be bigger as well.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I'm surprised the iPod Touch didn't get a camera to begin with. And now the nano gets one? Who needs to take pictures/video with a nano? And where is 16 gb?
Who needs to take pictures/video with an iPod Touch? If I wanted to carry something as bulky as an iPod Touch/iPhone for a camera I'll just carry my digital camera.

Stupid comment was stupid.

Not until they DOUBLE the capacity of their batteries, it won't. Making phone calls, listening to music, playing video's and games... Your battery is empty before you know it.
But improving battery technology is more expensive and not as sexy as adding features most people would never use.

Also: to people complaining about the Touch: don't forget the 3GS performance internals on the 32/64 GB models. That's a nice update for people wanting to use the Touch for games.

New Nano is fabulous. One thing I am disappointed in is the iTunes tagging. It only tags songs if the radio broadcasters in your area support the feature (wonder how many of them there are :rolleyes:). Better idea would have been to put the time shuffling capability to use and have the Nano record a 30 second snippet of the song so it can be run through one of those services that identifies songs by comparing the sample to a database next time you hook up to sync.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Don't have time to reply to everything I want to reply to.

But I want to say that this iPod touch upgrade is terrible. No camera? Really? A $400 iPod touch misses out on a camera while a $149 iPod nano gets a crappy little video camera? How stupid is that!?

My contract with AT&T for my original iPhone has long since ended. That combined with the fact that its been a couple of years now since I got a new iPod really had me hoping for a proper update to the iPod touch.

But since Apple has become an even greedier company than Microsoft, they're going to lose my money all together. Had they come out with an iPod touch with a camera, I could have canceled AT&T, bought a new iPod touch (absolutely willing to buy the 64GB version), and Apple could have continued to take my money through that purchase and App Store purchases. But now, thanks to AT&T's horrible service (thats an understatement) and Apple's greed, Microsoft will be getting my money for a Zune HD (more powerful hardware FTW), and Verizon will be getting my money for phone service since they can actually provide phone service.

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
However the one thing that I have been waiting for almost two years is here 64GB!

I am happy that they finally broke the 64 gig barrier but I will keep waiting until they break the 100 gig barrier, so probably 128 gigs. That's likely a year or two years from now. I'm not really that interested in the Apps stuff. All I've wanted for the past 4 years or so is a widescreen iPod with enough storage capacity to make it worth my money.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
We want new technology .... we want to have the newest and best gadget that is available to us....

That's why we troll these sites.... you think average consumer reads these boards??? they're still trying to figure out how to set up their alarm clocks!

Bumping memory is not even "news worthy" to me... Where is my HD cam, OLED screen.... or atleassssst HD output ? nada!

pfft! I want the newest and the best.... ZUNE HD gets my money this year...
Will see what happens next year...

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Shame apple doesn't believe in SD or microsd card slots on their devices. Maybe some day they will, After all they added fm radio to the Nano(and should have added to the Shuffle also, and would come in real handy at gym).

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
yeah that's it

they remanufactured millions of ipod touches with different hardware in the matter of a week, rewrote the OS 3.1 software, QA'd it all and packed them up and had them in apple stores ready to sell today

Just like they rewrote OS X for Intel in few months? Or maybe they were prepared for the Intel-switch long before they announced it?

Of course Apple has parallel designs in the pipeline. They had a touch with camera, and they had a touch without camera. The one with the camera had issues, so they went ahead and released the one without it. They had no need to rewrite everything, or ramp up production, since they were prepared for the possibility of shipping a touch with no camera.

Clark Gable

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
did the ipod touch get the iphone 3gs chipset and such in it? the camera would be nice but its not a selling point for me. storage is. I will be getting a new classic and a 64 ipod touch for when i need internetz and dont wanna carry around an ipod and a laptop

mitchr

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
so im really poed that the new ipod touches dont have cameras like y put them on the nano but not the touch ughhhh

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Offering a 64GB model (and that's it) of the touch is not much of an "update" as far as i'm concerned.

Why not? People have been wanting a high capacity widescreen iPod for years. Now they are finally reaching what I'd consider high capacity. I'm still not buying until they offer a 100+ gigs of storage, but at least they are starting to move closer to that number. They could probably offer a 128 gig Touch for $500 right now if they wanted. I'd buy it.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
But I want to say that this iPod touch upgrade is terrible. No camera? Really? A $400 iPod touch misses out on a camera while a $149 iPod nano gets a crappy little video camera? How stupid is that!?

I think they done it intentionally - think about it, there would be a very little difference between the touch and the iPhone.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah i'm pretty disappointed, even though them shuffles are very cute.

If Apple are not carful there going to run into people calling them all sorts along the line of 'lacking innovation of late'.

To some people SL has been a stop gap, no real noticeable changes because they are all under the hood and now these iPods which lets face it, are nothing special.

A camera, thats inventive, who didn't see that one coming.

Had to chuckle on your choice of words. "Careful". Dude, wake up to reality, Apple can sell a bottle of water and call it innovation and people will buy it, because Apple products are cool. The only persons that will gripe about innovation are you and every other geek.
For a lot of others these upgrades are amazing, especially to people that have never owned an Apple product and are considering one. Please think out of the box instead of your geek world of thinking.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
did the ipod touch get the iphone 3gs chipset and such in it? the camera would be nice but its not a selling point for me. storage is. I will be getting a new classic and a 64 ipod touch for when i need internetz and dont wanna carry around an ipod and a laptop

This is what I'm wanting to know.

Clark Gable

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
so im really poed that the new ipod touches dont have cameras like y put them on the nano but not the touch ughhhh

me too. Why put a camera in the ipod with the smallest screen? seems if they were going to add it you need to add it to the ipod touch first and maybe classic before the nano because of the screen size

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
The camera either was never in the touch or was dropped a lot earlier on. It wasn't dropped in the last few weeks otherwise that means they have done no testing on the new faster models.

Sakura Eclair

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
Disappointed more than pissed

I'm more disappointed than pissed at not having a camera on the iPod Touch. guess that Apple felt that the Touch was cannibalizing on the Sales of the iPhone more than they wanted (20 million iPod Touches vs. 31 million iPhones).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.