Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This . . . . . and just about everything . . . . is why i got an iPhone 6. My bank just sent word that they are supporting it which makes sense.

It's seriously the best implementation I've seen to date.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
Despite owning an iPhone, I'll dig into my pockets and come up with a fistful of change and crumpled dollar bills of various denominations and start sorting it out at the point of sale. We as a society need to slow down a little.

What life or societal advantages are to be gained by taking longer to pay for my purchase at a restaurant or retail store?

That is, I can think of plenty of scenarios where it might be advantageous for society to "slow down a little", but I don't see this as remotely being one of them.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Having to sometimes sign seems a bit crazy and not how NFC works in the rest of the world (although you may be asked to enter a PIN on random occasions when using a contactless credit card because the credit card has no other way of authenticating).

But what can signing a receipt gain you when using Apple Pay, they don't have a signature to compare to (unless you have to sign the back of your phone :p).

Hopefully this will just be a temporary glitch.

Signing is due to the merchant agreement with the card brands or payment processor. Its not for identity. Its just saying that you agree to pay the transaction amount. Usually its for purchases over a certain amount. The amount depends on the merchant and the agreement they have in place. It has nothing to do with apple pay. If you use a physical credit card you may have to sign or not, depending on the amount.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Fundamentally I still don't feel, long term this is the ideal payment solution for the masses for all things. It feels more like a short term, very limited gimmick that's never going to be total mass scale cash/card replacement.
Obviously, you haven't had your credit card hacked lately. We've had it twice in the last few weeks. Each time was from a merchant having their local machines hacked. This *does not happen* with Apple Pay. The number is unique to the sale. Ultimately, you don't lose anything, since transactions are refunded. But, you have to discover it, challenge it, wait for new cards to be mailed, and then change your credit card info on everything where that is stored.

For me, this is the one thing that is making me consider upgrading my 5S. I really don't need a bigger screen, but the ability to pay with a method more secure than taking out my credit card and usable even when I forget my wallet is a big draw.

Dave

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I'm loving Apple Pay so far and find myself a little disappointed when I'm in a store that can't accept NFC payments. One minor annoyance so far is that when using my debit card (which I tend to use for most purchases), I still have to enter my PIN in the terminal, despite the thumbprint authentication. Maybe I just haven't found the way around that yet, but it is a little annoying.

Try saying credit, instead of debit (if you can do both with your debit card -- most can). But then you may have to sign, depending on the amount of the purchase.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Having to sometimes sign seems a bit crazy and not how NFC works in the rest of the world (although you may be asked to enter a PIN on random occasions when using a contactless credit card because the credit card has no other way of authenticating).

But what can signing a receipt gain you when using Apple Pay, they don't have a signature to compare to (unless you have to sign the back of your phone :p).

The terminal itself doesn't know whether you've presented a card or a really high tech device like this that has already authenticated you. It only is programmed to look at purchase amounts, and if the amount is greater than something, the signature screen comes up, and you sign with the digital pen like with a regular card.

----------

Nice. Considering almost no one in Australia takes AMEX, good to hear you're beating the 'system' against American cards.

Australia has a $100 limit. Requires a pin for anything above that - I think ApplePay needs to beat that, because seriously - a fingerprint is more secure than a 4-digit pin.

You realize after a failed Touch ID attempt, the phone will ask you for the phone's 4 digit PIN as well.

----------

The last two times I went to Panera Bread I ended up at "non Apple Pay" registers because they didn't convert them all.

The first time was an inconvenience. The second time I actually didn't have my wallet on me and they were forced to switch registers.

It really only works if stores are consistent and convert every register.

They're going to have to as the same terminal will handle Chip & PIN as well.

----------

I only use my debt card and I think it may be merchant specific that requires the pin.

When CVS first was accepting apple pay it never asked for a pin. Macy's doesn't require a pin either. But I have used it at other places that have required one . Amount seems to be irrelevant.

In Australia, a PIN is for debit and credit as well, not just debit like here.

----------

Not really.

For Apple Pay to succeed we need all the NFC services to succeed.

Yes, AP is more secure than the others so I will use it. However, I don't want to push that idea as we need EVERY NFC service to gain merchants.

You need to accept PayPass/payWave to accept Apple Pay, which means if you choose to accept Apple Pay, you accept all NFC solutions, including GW, and SoftCard

lombax54

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
The last two times I went to Panera Bread I ended up at "non Apple Pay" registers because they didn't convert them all.

The first time was an inconvenience. The second time I actually didn't have my wallet on me and they were forced to switch registers.

It really only works if stores are consistent and convert every register.

I had the same experience, but they wouldn't switch registers for me. I told them I was going to Atlanta Bread Co (local competitor) instead. They don't have Pay either, but at least they have better service. I also wrote a letter to Panera through their app about the lack of nfc terminals in their cafe.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
As far as signing for purchases over $50, I use the pen to scratch a horizontal line on the screen.

To slow things down in life, try paying in pennies.

My new Barclaycard Visa Apple card arrived the other day. It is approved for Apple Pay and has all of the features of other visa cards, but in addition, gives 3% back on purchases at the Apple Store, either online or in person. No annual fee. It also has a chip in it for use internationally, but a hefty 3% transaction fee for purchases abroad.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
I opened a new credit card because my current card does not support apple pay. My wife used apple pay at Whole Foods this weekend for the first time. Her response was "WoW!

Mike49

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
This . . . . . and just about everything . . . . is why i got an iPhone 6. My bank just sent word that they are supporting it which makes sense.

It's seriously the best implementation I've seen to date.

Agree. AP is the main reason I came back to iOS from Android.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Glad it's so easy just wish it could be used in the UK where we already use contactless payments in loads of stores

Gripe at your banks and card processors. That is the hold up. Apple would happily turn it on for all regions today if they could. But they need the other side to play

xxnemoxx

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
I really hope this takes off big and becomes mainstream. It's just too easy to use and I actually enjoy spending my digital cash.

And AAPL....

By digital cash you mean your digital wallet :) digital cash would be like Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, etc.. :) those are awesome as well!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Obviously, you haven't had your credit card hacked lately. We've had it twice in the last few weeks. Each time was from a merchant having their local machines hacked. This *does not happen* with Apple Pay.

I think what you meant to say, is that Apple Pay and the Touch ID requirement will make the info useless to the hackers. Cause nothing will stop them from trying anymore than Activation Lock will stop a snatch and grab thief. And if you are worried its a piece of cake to delete your 'device account numbers' and make new ones without the bother of having to cancel cards, wait for new ones etc. Because your iphone, the merchants etc never had your real card number.

----------

When I can Apple Pay at the Metro and for my Disneyland and Universal Studios passes and inside purchases then I'll be totes excited about it. Right now it's just a nifty amusement. But I'm still fumbling with cards for these things.

When they figure out a way to put our ID on there that will be really cray cray

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
You can't use at the apple store??

HA HA HA, I can't believe you can't use Apple Pay at the apple store!

Edit: oh, never mind, it's the iPad itself, not Apple pay...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Obviously, you haven't had your credit card hacked lately. We've had it twice in the last few weeks. Each time was from a merchant having their local machines hacked. This *does not happen* with Apple Pay. The number is unique to the sale. Ultimately, you don't lose anything, since transactions are refunded. But, you have to discover it, challenge it, wait for new cards to be mailed, and then change your credit card info on everything where that is stored.

For me, this is the one thing that is making me consider upgrading my 5S. I really don't need a bigger screen, but the ability to pay with a method more secure than taking out my credit card and usable even when I forget my wallet is a big draw.

Dave

No, I never have. Sorry you had that experience, but when you consider the tens/thousands of millions of credit card transactions around the globe, you probably have more chance of being run over crossing the road to the store than your card being hacked for that purchase you are about to make.

Yes, I go agree, a more secure hack free way is always needed and is better.

I just question the need to have a $500 - $1000 dollar device to buy your coffee, and one that needs to be charged up every day, AND not dropped or got wet, or whatever.

Again, yes, this is cool, great, clever, secure etc etc and all that.

I just don't feel, from a practical standpoint it's a winner.

You still need to carry cash and cards for everyday eventualities if you don't wish to be caught out.
I would always carry a little cash in the car, and a little cash in my wallet with my cards.
I don't know what for, but I don't wish to be in a situation, where I'm stuck as I don't have cash or card on me.

The phone idea is great, but it's too expensive and too limited in places to use, and will probably always be limited.

Everyone needs to have something they can use, ideally the device that does it, like a Bank Card is free or virtually free.

Perhaps in the future this tech can be mostly build into throw away cards?

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm loving Apple Pay so far and find myself a little disappointed when I'm in a store that can't accept NFC payments. One minor annoyance so far is that when using my debit card (which I tend to use for most purchases), I still have to enter my PIN in the terminal, despite the thumbprint authentication. Maybe I just haven't found the way around that yet, but it is a little annoying.

That's because the fingerprint only acts as the device PIN, not as the debit card PIN.

TouchID is a device convenience only. It is not part of the EMV payment authentication, since it is not a valid CVM (cardholder verification method).

That's why iPhones without TouchID will be able to use Apple Pay (via the Watch), and it's why normal payment requirements will still exist (debit card PIN, signature above a certain amount, etc) even with TouchID.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Last few times I tried to use Apple Pay it didn't work. At Petco it acted like it went through but when I saw the dollar amount notification appear on the phone (AmEx notification) after processing it was a couple dashes. Had to process a second time. Today at Subway the phone acted like everything was fine and even said done, but the POS did nothing. Had to use a regular card. I know the cashier didn't goof up because I've used it there before. Walgreens declined a transaction once, then it was approved when we ran the transaction again, same AmEx card.

Highly unimpressed so far.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
That's because the fingerprint only acts as the device PIN, not as the debit card PIN.

TouchID is a device convenience only. It is not part of the EMV payment authentication, since it is not a valid CVM (cardholder verification method).

That's why iPhones without TouchID will be able to use Apple Pay (via the Watch), and it's why normal payment requirements will still exist (debit card PIN, signature above a certain amount, etc) even with TouchID.

Good to know, thanks. It would be nice if they make it part of the EMV authentication at some point.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

I agree. And I wish Apple would figure out a way to include an emailed receipt in the process. Or even better, a place in iCloud to automatically store my receipts.

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013
Sometimes I just don't understand Apples thinking in being so US centric when it comes to stuff like this. They should have been all over the banks in the UK for launch adoption. Most places I shop at in the UK already use contactless payment, quick wave of the bank card and job done yet I will probably need to wait for Apple until who knows when before I can use my phone for the same job.

The US is too big and lumbering to move to new technologies at the same speed and scale as Europe mainly because of the high cost of doing so. From what I read the US is a decade behind Europe on simple stuff like chip and pin cards never mind contactless payment (correct me if I'm wrong), yet I haven't went into a shop in years where I didn't have to use a pin number for a card transaction and that includes tiny grocers.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

True for the transaction, but the signature is not just a writing test, otherwise they could just bin the signature afterwards and call it a day.

The signature can be demanded as proof that the transaction was legit.

Imagine someone taking your credit card and going on a shopping spree, they may be able to sway the cashier, but if you can prove that the signature is NOT yours (and there are people whose profession includes doing just that) you're off the hook, depending on the exact conditions of how accountable you're still are for losing your CC/giving it to someone, etc...

Glassed Silver:mac

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
The signatures have to be eliminated. It is pointless. Also, any need to click or “ok” anything has to be eliminated. I found out about it today in practice. So finally added my Amazon.com Chase Visa card yesterday to Apple Pay. Used it this morning at McDonald’s with no problem. No signature required. This afternoon I made a $6 purchase at Walgreens and was about to zip away when the cashier said “hold on sir, you have to complete the transaction”. I was wondering what she meant then saw that I had to click “Ok” on the transaction pad. Annoyed me, as I want zero hassle/interaction after I input my fingerprint and pay. Once these little bugs get worked out, it will be perfect. My experience at McDonald’s was flawless and enjoyable, and it should be that way all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.