Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we noted that developers had begin incorporating support for Apple's iAd mobile advertisements into updates for their applications, with a few applications starting to show placeholder banners and test ads ahead of the program's official launch on July 1st. Right on time, iAd advertisements have begun to go live, although their presence appears to be very spotty on iAd-compatible applications at the moment with banners appearing only occasionally while at other times the apps simply show blank space in the banner location.

One iAd we've run across (in Tiptitude) is for the Nissan Leaf, a forthcoming electric car set to launch in December of this year but already receiving considerable buzz and reservation interest. The ad should be no surprise, as it was demoed by Apple CEO Steve Jobs during his keynote at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference early last month.

123339-nissan_iad_banner.jpg

The ad appears as a small banner in compatible applications and carries a distinctive "iAd" mark in the lower right corner for identification purposes. Tapping the ad launches a full-screen interactive experience, and users may exit the ad at any time and return to their application by clicking the "X" button at the top left of the iAd.

123339-nissan_iad_2.jpg
123339-nissan_iad_3.jpg

As with the demonstration version shown by Jobs, Nissan's official iAd offers a video and audio intro before launching into an interactive interface where users can learn more about the Nissan Leaf and register their interest in the vehicle.

123339-nissan_iad_1.jpg

Article Link: Apple's iAds Slowly Begin to Appear, Led by Nissan Leaf

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Sweet.... free advertising for Nissan on MR's front page!

It looks like iAds will be an early success, what with all the people who will click on them just to see how they work.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It looks like iAds will be an early success, what with all the people who will click on them just to see how they work.

Apple's aiming to keep people around longer than that.

Our company is working with Apple on an iAd and the goal is to make it interactive, game-like, and fun to use. Everyone wants these ads to be more like apps than ads. Something you'll legitimately WANT to play with for a few minutes.

Our concepts have to be based on "why would someone want to use this?" and not "what do we want to force on them?"

This is why Apple is the only developer allowed to make them. THEY build the ad, we just provide the concept and the content. They're really committed to making sure these ads are 100% quality.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Who in their right mind thinks this is a good thing???

I didn't pay good money to buy an iPod and purchase apps to be subjected to advertisements.

This doesn't benefit me the customer - only Apple and app developers.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Now we'll all go out and download Dev's apps just to see the new iAds. How crazy is that? Actually when my son was 2 he liked to watch TV just for the commercials, go figure!?

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK

I didn't pay good money to buy an iPod and purchase apps to be subjected to advertisements.

so only buy apps that cost money?

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota

You don't HAVE to use apps that have iAds.:)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

iAds does not add advertisements where you originally didn't have any. It rather replaces annoying ads with quality ads. So actually it's a good thing for consumers.

And just by buying an iPod you're not contributing to the price of the applications. That's like saying that just by buying a computer, you shouldn't have to pay for programs. It benefits customers since it allows us to download applications for free, or for less money than what they would normally cost. And free is always a good thing. You can try it and then delete it. I think that looking at ads is often better than paying money. I don't want my OS to have ads ever, but I'm fine with ads on TV and on the internet. If the ads are relevant, it may even benefit me. I guess iAds will be relevant.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire

As others have noted- it helps pay for free apps....there are not people out there just wanting to make a bunch of apps for free for kicks- most are trying to make a living and if they can do that great. Do you read magazines ever? That is the same model- the subscription usually covers part of the postage- none of the production....ads are a part of our lives. I think sometimes they get WAY too intrusive, but these seem to be small and don't take over most app screens.

Small White Car- I love the idea of making some game like- you just gotta make sure people understand it is more than just a link to a web page ad.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You don't HAVE to use apps that have iAds.:)

'Tiptitude' even went out of their way to label the free one as 'iAd Supported' right in the title! I'm sure that all the apps won't do that, but I really, really like it. You can see right in iTunes that your choice is "iAds" or "$0.99."

So clear. Such a great way to do it.

Small White Car- I love the idea of making some game like- you just gotta make sure people understand it is more than just a link to a web page ad.

That's why we're happy that Apple is doing the actual work! They bring the experience that will help avoid problems like that.

azazel-

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
United States
Good God...

The fact that Apple not only has some of you accepting this...but excited about it and welcoming it with open arms...might just be the most goddamn pathetic thing I've seen in an age. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.

These are ADS! Why are you people happy...about ADS?! Just because Jobs says these are swell, Apple got you acting like trained circus seals, just mindlessly clapping away.
:confused:

MrMcLargeHuge

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010

I like free apps. Therefore I think this is a good thing. Also, I am currently in my right mind.

cdarlington1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2006
St. John's, Newfoundland
errrr

Um...and if Developers can't make any money to make the apps then suddenly we won't have any good apps. I'm not a developer but I can see that this is quite important for a developer and, in the end, us?

...and most paid apps don't have ads so, if you don't want them, then pay for your apps...

MrMcLargeHuge

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
The fact that Apple not only has some of you accepting this...but excited about it and welcoming it with open arms...might just be the most goddamn pathetic thing I've seen in an age. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.

These are ADS! Why are you people happy...about ADS?! Just because Jobs says these are swell, Apple got you acting like trained circus seals, just mindlessly clapping away.

It's not Stockholm Syndrome. As I stated before, I like free apps. Developers need to make money somehow, so ads in free apps is something I can live with. And if those ads happen to be of higher quality, what's not to appreciate?

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida

This keeps good apps free or low cost, that is a good thing.

azazel-

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
United States
Um...and if Developers can't make any money to make the apps then suddenly we won't have any good apps. I'm not a developer but I can see that this is quite important for a developer and, in the end, us?

Um...it's called 'selling an app', you know, like actually making money from the sale of a product. If an ap isn't worth buying for $.99, I doubt the value will skyrocket merely by making it free and ad-supported.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
I mainly like the fact that if you mistakenly hit one of these add buttons, it doesnt take you out of the app. Thats a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.