Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Oh man I’m sorry!! I have 2 tiny PVD scratches; not sure if they were there out of the box or if Bestbuy did it. I almost wanna return it but they’re so small and the “iPhone lottery” is a slippery slope!! Could be much worse, clicky back, uneven buttons, uneven screen color, burnt out pixels, scratched or chipped screen, dust under the camera ugh lol!

If I saw those on my just unpacked phone I would be on the phone with Apple to return it for another phone. To me once I saw that my eyes would always be drawn to it. It is a shame that there are issues in manufacturing with the new iPhones. We should be reporting these types of issues to Apple so that they are aware of it. It can’t get corrected if Apple is not “enough” aware of it. When I receive my 12 Pro Max Pacific Blue and Gold you can bet that I will be examine those expensive phones very carefully.

RayLancer

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
I am going to put a clear film on the sides of mine to protect it.

I think at this point I'm just going to enjoy my phone when I get it. I think worrying about all this stuff isn't going to matter when I'm going to be using a case to cover it. And I usually just take advantage of carrier promotions so things ike scratches and scuffs doesn't affect that value.

Reactions: Zazoh and 5105973

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
If I saw those on my just unpacked phone I would be on the phone with Apple to return it for another phone. To me once I saw that my eyes would always be drawn to it. It is a shame that there are issues in manufacturing with the new iPhones. We should be reporting these types of issues to Apple so that they are aware of it. It can’t get corrected if Apple is not “enough” aware of it. When I receive my 12 Pro Max Pacific Blue and Gold you can bet that I will be examine those expensive phones very carefully.
Agreed totally but when you look too closely (like me) you’ll find issues with every one, really! Sad but true, hence you pick the best of the bunch.

I actually ordered direct from Apple and TMO. The Apple one had a very tiny chip on the screen. That’s a no go for me, so I kept the one from TMO with these itsy bitsy marks on the frame. Guarantee if I got more I’d swap one issue for another.

Sadly it’s like this every damn year. Most people wouldn’t notice or even care, they slap a case on it but I’m a bit anal, wish I wasn’t lol!!

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
I think at this point I'm just going to enjoy my phone when I get it. I think worrying about all this stuff isn't going to matter when I'm going to be using a case to cover it. And I usually just take advantage of carrier promotions so things ike scratches and scuffs doesn't affect that value.
With ya man!! I dig this phone; I don’t wanna spend weeks and weeks Hoping for that “perfect phone”

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
This, this is the iPhone lottery, grrr!! That’s not too bad but if you swap you may get something else (potentially worse so to speak). This time of year is nuts; I love it but hate it too ha!!

iPhone lottery is the worst thing. I got a replacement 11 Pro Max and it had a very visible blue hue just at the top notch area, speck of dust under the camera and a micro scratch (visible in certain light/angles) in the space between the second and third camera. Decided to just get the display replaced and now the screen is good. There’s never a perfect iPhone!

Reactions: chadmclark

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
15 years ago I bought a Les Paul guitar for $2,500. It's a stunning instrument. For that price, I applied a plastic film on the body as well as the pick guard as to prevent scratches from playing. Not only that, but I absolutely do not strum—I merely pick and pluck very softly and lightly. 15 years later, it still looks brand new and never used.

Have you seen guitars from professional guitarists? This is the Edge's Les Paul. Look at how disgusting it looks.

View attachment 973504
Boy you’d be pretty amazed and disgusted by the raw denim community then. The guitar just looks like someone’s who plays a lot and gives it some character.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Kinda looks like my 2 tiny ones; did that come out of the box like that?
It came after getting a screen protector.

honestly all the iPhone 12 Pro units I had have great temperature colors, great off axis color shift, no visible defects. Except for that one dot on the graphite.

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
It came after getting a screen protector.

honestly all the iPhone 12 Pro units I had have great temperature colors, great off axis color shift, no visible defects. Except for that one dot on the graphite.
Gotcha. Well, at least it doesn’t look nearly as bad as your original silver one :)

Reactions: symphony

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
The good thing is you helped them find out it was the machine and they didn’t try and blame you. It was good of them to replace the phone as well. As bad as your Apple day has been, you got great customer service which I don’t think you will find anywhere else.

This is exactly why I was looking forward to returning to Apple

And I have to with open arms lol

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sorry, but plastic cannot scratch steel. Physically impossible.
You’re right but...I scratched my daughter’s Pacific Blue 12 Pro trying to put it in her clear polycarbonate case last night. I felt terrible because she bought that phone herself. The case was a brand we have trusted and used for a couple of years but there was a defect and it wasn’t fitting properly. The seller has made it as right as they can, but they can’t exactly undo the damage, nor would I expect them to. This is on Apple for choosing shiny steel and on us for buying it. And I think even Apple did a pretty good job protecting the finish they chose.

The scratch is in the coating. It’s not as bad as if I’d scraped down to raw steel but it’s still a clear blemish. My daughter is cool with it all. We’re curious to see if the coating self-heals to some degree over time. I was able to take a soft cloth and smooth it over a little.

The coating must be pretty thick since I don’t see down to silver steel. If the sides were a brushed texture it would be better. But everything show on this shiny surface.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh man I’m sorry!! I have 2 tiny PVD scratches; not sure if they were there out of the box or if Bestbuy did it. I almost wanna return it but they’re so small and the “iPhone lottery” is a slippery slope!! Could be much worse, clicky back, uneven buttons, uneven screen color, burnt out pixels, scratched or chipped screen, dust under the camera ugh lol!
Yeah that right there is like the scratches I put on my daughter’s iPhone but a bit longer. It’s a scratch on the coating but not down to the bare steel. They’re just too easy to get and we gotta learn to get used to the idea we’re going to be seeing these.

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Yeah that right there is like the scratches I put on my daughter’s iPhone but a bit longer. It’s a scratch on the coating but not down to the bare steel. They’re just too easy to get and we gotta learn to get used to the idea we’re going to be seeing these.
Yep exactly. And what’s potentially worse is getting another that has none but has one of the worse (IMO) above mentioned issues ... then the face slap 🤦‍♀️ that you should’ve just kept the other (sadly I know from past experience lol)

And the irony for us; done while putting on things designed to protect sigh 😔

Reactions: 5105973

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
You’re right but...I scratched my daughter’s Pacific Blue 12 Pro trying to put it in her clear polycarbonate case last night. I felt terrible because she bought that phone herself. The case was a brand we have trusted and used for a couple of years but there was a defect and it wasn’t fitting properly. The seller has made it as right as they can, but they can’t exactly undo the damage, nor would I expect them to. This is on Apple for choosing shiny steel and on us for buying it. And I think even Apple did a pretty good job protecting the finish they chose.

The scratch is in the coating. It’s not as bad as if I’d scraped down to raw steel but it’s still a clear blemish. My daughter is cool with it all. We’re curious to see if the coating self-heals to some degree over time. I was able to take a soft cloth and smooth it over a little.

The coating must be pretty thick since I don’t see down to silver steel. If the sides were a brushed texture it would be better. But everything show on this shiny surface.
That’s why I don’t put cases on my iPhone anymore. When I had the iPhone X I would always put on a case when I did strength training workouts and I noticed wear on the stainless steel bands.

I would also see wear on the top metal bezel where the band would rub against my Jean pockets when I’m trying to insert them in my pockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.