Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Benchmarking is exactly what you have been touting when you aggrandize your own you tube video. When someone else does it, it holds no water.

Your definition of performance is not the worlds definition. Your definition of performance would be gauging the performance of a car by how fast the engine starts. If you look at the article quoted, it puts in perspective my "seat of the pants" feel, when discussing javascript improvements. I would venture to guess browsing the internet is one of the biggest activities to be done on these mobile devices and apple improved the performance in Safari.

Opening up app after app, second by second, is parlor entertainment only. That is nobodys use case.

So in essence according to this article, apple has fulfilled on it's promise. Maybe not every nook and cranny, in every corner, in every idevice, in every configuration, but certainly much closer than you have been attempting (and failing) to make a case about loss performance across the board, even if you could prove such a broad thing by making a sweeping generalization of one small test that is not a use case for anybody.

Its not MY YOUTUBE VIDEO!

I have not been touting benchmarking. I have no idea how you can possibly claim that app opening speeds are not a huge part of performance. Safari is ONE app. Prove to me that apple improved app performance across the board and i'll start listening.

Opening apps up reflects real world usage because guess what? People open and close apps A LOT. It is everyones use case, unless you use one application and always leave it running. Its simply a fact (at least until someone shows us otherwise) that apps open slower on iOS 9 and that contributes a lot to performance. You claiming that app opening speeds mean nothing is just as bad as if I said that they were the only thing that did matter.

I give up. You can continue claiming that Apple has fulfilled their promises, but there are numerous people in this thread alone who have experienced the opposite. The article actually says that iOS 9 is at times worse, the only improvements it showed were in benchmarking. And guess what? iOS 8 also showed similar improvements on older devices, yet iOS 8 is WIDELY considered to be a slower os. Benchmarking in safari covers Safari only. Again show me those across the board improvements, point me to someone online who has already done it or something.

Or prove to me your iOS 8 installation was not dodgy.

Until then you can not claim iOS 9 to be a better performing operating system. Better performance would mean apps launch faster and respond faster. Not just one or the other. So essentially Apple has not fulfilled its promises. You can not claim that app opening speeds do not count as performance.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Its not MY YOUTUBE VIDEO!

I have not been touting benchmarking. I have no idea how you can possibly claim that app opening speeds are not a huge part of performance. Safari is ONE app. Prove to me that apple improved app performance across the board and i'll start listening.

Opening apps up reflects real world usage because guess what? People open and close apps A LOT. It is everyones use case, unless you use one application and always leave it running. Its simply a fact (at least until someone shows us otherwise) that apps open slower on iOS 9 and that contributes a lot to performance. You claiming that app opening speeds mean nothing is just as bad as if I said that they were the only thing that did matter.

I give up. You can continue claiming that Apple has fulfilled their promises, but there are numerous people in this thread alone who have experienced the opposite. The article actually says that iOS 9 is at times worse, the only improvements it showed were in benchmarking. And guess what? iOS 8 also showed similar improvements on older devices, yet iOS 8 is WIDELY considered to be a slower os. Benchmarking in safari covers Safari only. Again show me those across the board improvements, point me to someone online who has already done it or something.

Or prove to me your iOS 8 installation was not dodgy.

Until then you can not claim iOS 9 to be a better performing operating system. Better performance would mean apps launch faster and respond faster. Not just one or the other. So essentially Apple has not fulfilled its promises. You can not claim that app opening speeds do not count as performance.

I give up also! You can continue claiming IOS 9 is slower even when presented with a better overall picture than just opening and closing app after app. My entire issue is you are basing that claim on that one metric and a youtube video; which you haven't proved means anything to most people, maybe outside of the 10 people posting in this thread. (At this point you have to prove as a fact what you are saying, that the 100 million or so IOS 8 users actually care if there app opens a millisecond or so more in IOS 9 and that most people care about these videos as proof of some mythical type of performance loss.)

Having the article say at times IOS 9 is a little worse, means that it's better overall (Note the "at times", which seems to imply not all of the time or occassionally). This is what I said in the prior post.

So in essence according to this article, apple has fulfilled on it's promise. Maybe not every nook and cranny, in every corner, in every idevice, in every configuration, but certainly much closer than you have been attempting (and failing) to make a case about loss performance across the board, even if you could prove such a broad thing by making a sweeping generalization of one small test that is not a use case for anybody.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
After reading all of these entries I have come to a conclusion: iOS9 is not as speedy as was communicated it would be.
Like all of its' predecessors, it has issues. Like 8.x before it, I am seeing numerous Coretime and Jetsam events that 8.4.1 had predominately fixed. The majority linked to Safari and Mail (iMini 3).

Keep in mind that 8.x and 9.x had the supposed benefit of extensive public beta "testing" and at this time that exercise looks to be of minimal benefit based on the number/frequency of issues noted in comparison to previous versions. Unless Apple had feedback set to "ignore".

Personal experience
  • on a 16GB i5 AT&T - 9.0.1 is running adequately. In my daughters words "it's okay".
  • on a 64GB iMini 3 LTE - 9.0.1 is a nightmare - one issue after another :mad:
  • on a 64GB 6 Plus AT&T - 9.0.1 is running pretty good
  • on a 64GB 6S Plus AT&T - is running poorly - exact same setup as the 6 Plus but seeing multiple issues - I know it's the apps just not sure which and how
  • on a 16GB iPad 4 - running poorly - slow and serious Safari lag.

Still have a few devices to go but am leaving these on 8.4.1 for now (iPhone 5S, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad mini 2).

Side note: 32GB iMini 2 LTE is running much smoother than iMini 3 LTE excluding Safari tab reloads. The "Geniuses" at my Apple store say it is due to the impact of one or more currently installed apps and recommend another clean install and load apps 1 by 1. BS. I have 124 apps on the Mini and don't have tine to reload and test all.

Overall I am hopeful but feel like 8.x before it, this was released before it was ready for Prime Time. Now far too many folks are feeling the pain. o_O

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
I am regretting updating iOSand Watch OS this week. Nothing but problems, problems, problems.

Siri doesn't seem to exist on my watch now. If she does respond it is that she doesn't know who "this name" is even though I've used her to send texts to "this name" a hundred times before. Then she tells me there is no Siri connection on my watch or phone even though my phone thinks otherwise. Most recent attempt froze the watch up.

The update to Watch OS2 was like getting a root canal. Errors, problems. Stuff I thought Apple was better with.

I had the battery drain issue today after updating yeaterday. Did the unpair re-pair today. Will see how that goes.

iOS 9 caused all kinds of trouble on my iPad Air and my phone. Just updated to 9.01 on both and will see if that helps but it sure isn't working with my watch.

I am getting pretty frustrated at this point.

Go back to iOS 8.4.1 while you still can.

My iPad 4 was a mess on iOS 9.

Now that it's back on iOS 8.4.1 it runs fluidly.

The animations aren't smooth on my iPhone 6, either.

The only thing I will say is that battery life on my 6 is much better on iOS 9.

However, with iOS 9 on my iPad 4 the battery drained faster ...

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I give up also! You can continue claiming IOS 9 is slower even when presented with a better overall picture than just opening and closing app after app. My entire issue is you are basing that claim on that one metric and a youtube video; which you haven't proved means anything to most people, maybe outside of the 10 people posting in this thread. (At this point you have to prove as a fact what you are saying, that the 100 million or so IOS 8 users actually care if there app opens a millisecond or so more in IOS 9 and that most people care about these videos as proof of some mythical type of performance loss.)

Having the article say at times IOS 9 is a little worse, means that it's better overall (Note the "at times", which seems to imply not all of the time or occassionally). This is what I said in the prior post.
How can you write so many words and still be wrong? iOS 9 is embarassing. Apps lag when launching, spotlight and scrolling on the home screen lags, and keyboard entry lags. The best thing I can say about it is that Safari doesn't really crash nearly as much. On the other hand, you would think they would have taken that seriously a year ago when it became a problem.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How can you write so many words and still be wrong? iOS 9 is embarassing. Apps lag when launching, spotlight and scrolling on the home screen lags, and keyboard entry lags. The best thing I can say about it is that Safari doesn't really crash nearly as much. On the other hand, you would think they would have taken that seriously a year ago when it became a problem.
In my opinion using iOS 9 to actually perform work, rather than
opening and closing apps is better than iOS 7.1.2. That is my opinion, seems backed up by other blogs and other posters. Did they get it right 100%? No, does anybody ever in the software/hardware business?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
In my opinion using iOS 9 to actually perform work, rather than
opening and closing apps is better than iOS 7.1.2. That is my opinion, seems backed up by other blogs and other posters. Did they get it right 100%? No, does anybody ever in the software/hardware business?
has it occurred to you that most people check their phones in tiny bursts? Loading an app to check email, look up stuff in a web page, send a few texts, or browse Facebook? Since when is your definition of "work" the be all end all?

The worst part? It worked before. They don't have to get it 100 pct right, they just need to not screw up something that literally every one does all the time ... Loading up the home screen and loading apps and typing into a text field in their native apps without horrendous lag.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
has it occurred to you that most people check their phones in tiny bursts? Loading an app to check email, look up stuff in a web page, send a few texts, or browse Facebook? Since when is your definition of "work" the be all end all?

The worst part? It worked before. They don't have to get it 100 pct right, they just need to not screw up something that literally every one does all the time ... Loading up the home screen and loading apps and typing into a text field in their native apps without horrendous lag.
I disagree, most people are not serial app openers and closers. When all you do in an app is spend 100 milliseconds how much information do you gain?

I do not see any lag on an iPad 2, 5s, 6, 6+ and now 6s. As I said Apple didn't get right for some configurations but overall I feel iOS 9 is a home run.

My definition of "work" is not the be-all end all. But the use cases as shown in some youtube videos clearly isn't anybody's; which was my original point in case you missed it.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Overall iOS 9 is running well on my Plus.

Don't use my iPad much but noticed some small lag with the split screen that wasn't there before on my Air 2.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I disagree, most people are not serial app openers and closers. When all you do in an app is spend 100 milliseconds how much information do you gain?

I do not see any lag on an iPad 2, 5s, 6, 6+ and now 6s. As I said Apple didn't get right for some configurations but overall I feel iOS 9 is a home run.

My definition of "work" is not the be-all end all. But the use cases as shown in some youtube videos clearly isn't anybody's; which was my original point in case you missed it.
Who spends 100 milliseconds in an app? That's not what we're talking about. I'm talking about an unnecessary half seconds to a second lag launching or returning from apps.

http://flurrymobile.tumblr.com/post/115191945655/the-rise-of-the-mobile-addict

Lots of people launch apps. It's the FIRST thing everyone does. Want some proof on trend, read above link. If you don't want to believe there's a backwards regression here then so be it. I'm an all apple household and I know when my phone starts performing worse.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Who spends 100 milliseconds in an app? That's not what we're talking about. I'm talking about an unnecessary half seconds to a second lag launching or returning from apps.

http://flurrymobile.tumblr.com/post/115191945655/the-rise-of-the-mobile-addict

Lots of people launch apps. It's the FIRST thing everyone does. Want some proof on trend, read above link. If you don't want to believe there's a backwards regression here then so be it. I'm an all apple household and I know when my phone starts performing worse.
On the other side using the apps in iOS 9 is faster according to the article quoted; especially JavaScript in safari.

We're an all Apple mobile phone household and we would know if our iPhones started performing worse.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
i have compared iOS 8.4.1 and 9.x on a iPad 2, iPhone 4S and, a iPhone 5S. On each device, they showed a longer lag time! Even the 5S upon clean instillation, got the lockscreen (slide to unlock) glitch!

Yes Overall, besides that one glitch, iOS 9 has been bulletproof! It has not had the constant glitches (freezing)of iOS 7.0 - 7.0.6?

However, one major flaw is accessing your contacts and pictures from the lockscreen. Up next, the preformance of opening and closing apps and, overall start up and shutdown times are longer!

That is why I'm happy I'm still on 7.1.2 on my IPad Air and, 6.1.3 on my dd 4S!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
i have compared iOS 8.4.1 and 9.x on a iPad 2, iPhone 4S and, a iPhone 5S. On each device, they showed a longer lag time! Even the 5S upon clean instillation, got the lockscreen (slide to unlock) glitch!

Yes Overall, besides that one glitch, iOS 9 has been bulletproof! It has not had the constant glitches (freezing)of iOS 7.0 - 7.0.6?

However, one major flaw is accessing your contacts and pictures from the lockscreen. Up next, the preformance of opening and closing apps and, overall start up and shutdown times are longer!

That is why I'm happy I'm still on 7.1.2 on my IPad Air and, 6.1.3 on my dd 4S!
The glitch you are referring to is to disable Siri on the lock screen. I have done that since I got my 5s.

I ran an iPad 2 on 8.4.1 and an iPad 2 on iOS 9 beta 5. iOS 9 was better, faster, safari was way improved.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
The glitch you are referring to is to disable Siri on the lock screen. I have done that since I got my 5s.

I ran an iPad 2 on 8.4.1 and an iPad 2 on iOS 9 beta 5. iOS 9 was better, faster, safari was way improved.

Perhaps you aren't noticing a difference because you are used to having all these features off. These features are what makes iOS 8, and 9 what they are, if you turn them off, sure, it will run faster.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Perhaps you aren't noticing a difference because you are used to having all these features off. These features are what makes iOS 8, and 9 what they are, if you turn them off, sure, it will run faster.
That's true, i dislike animations and have turned them off since the days of Windows Xp, released 8/24/2001. So I've been turning off as many animations as I can for the last 14 years. However this is my use case.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
That's true, i dislike animations and have turned them off since the days of Windows Xp, released 8/24/2001. So I've been turning off as many animations as I can for the last 14 years. However this is my use case.

This makes perfect sense to me now then. Every person I have talked to who has upgraded, as reported slow opening of apps, slow animations, and even slow unlocking. If you aren't noticing it, it HAS to be that you have certain features turned off that are limiting the lag. Someone in my office just came to me (I am the resident office Apple blue shirt, grey now), and said him and his wife are noticing significant slowness on all of their iOS devices, 3 ipads, and 2 iphone 6's. This is another non-fanboy family with nothing to lose, and also not apple haters, as they own multiple new devices, including an Air 2.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This makes perfect sense to me now then. Every person I have talked to who has upgraded, as reported slow opening of apps, slow animations, and even slow unlocking. If you aren't noticing it, it HAS to be that you have certain features turned off that are limiting the lag. Someone in my office just came to me (I am the resident office Apple blue shirt, grey now), and said him and his wife are noticing significant slowness on all of their iOS devices, 3 ipads, and 2 iphone 6's. This is another non-fanboy family with nothing to lose, and also not apple haters, as they own multiple new devices, including an Air 2.
Except that I just turned on animations on my 5s and iPad 2 and both are fine. No lag or stutter. Open, rotate, close, rotate, swipe, open, rotate, close etc. no stutter or lag.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
On the other side using the apps in iOS 9 is faster according to the article quoted; especially JavaScript in safari.

We're an all Apple mobile phone household and we would know if our iPhones started performing worse.

Personally I think rkou is correct - on my Note my home screen has a couple of widgets for instant info and my major apps - ones I spend considerable time in. On my 6S+ it is the same minus the widgets (wishing...). Lock screen is out for data display - secure data.
Once I am in the app, iOS9 is faster until the new generation of bugs come out - hoping these are fixed soon, especially Safari.

For your home setup, I wish you would share what you are doing. We have 4 iPhones, 5 iPads, and our implementation of iOS9 has been very hit and miss with no single device being "smooth" or "bug free".

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Personally I think rkou is correct - on my Note my home screen has a couple of widgets for instant info and my major apps - ones I spend considerable time in. On my 6S+ it is the same minus the widgets (wishing...). Lock screen is out for data display - secure data.
Once I am in the app, iOS9 is faster until the new generation of bugs come out - hoping these are fixed soon, especially Safari.

For your home setup, I wish you would share what you are doing. We have 4 iPhones, 5 iPads, and our implementation of iOS9 has been very hit and miss with no single device being "smooth" or "bug free".
I did iTunes updates; don't know if that might be a contributing factor.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
In my opinion, iOS 9 is the best iOS release since 6.

It runs awesome on my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, I love the new features, especially on the iPad, and have noticed some improvements in the battery life.

I know it's a really small thing, but I also love the new system font.

I feel like THIS is what iOS 7 and 8 should have been. It's taken them a couple of years, but I feel like now, finally, iOS is back on track.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I think people are getting the use of the term "lag" mixed up in terms of what it means to them.

Every year I have upgraded my iOS devices so I notice any degradation of the UI smoothness. Is iOS 9 smooth on iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2? In relative terms yes, but to those used to the fluid and responsive UI it is immediately noticeable.

Both my 6 and Air 2 are not as fluid, there's a noticeable reduction in that responsiveness under the finger. The animations, such as zooming in and out when opening and closing apps, is not running at the same frame rate on iOS
9 as they did on iOS 8.4.1. The iPad Air 2 takes a hit in responsiveness, the pinch to home gesture often results in a four finger swipe left or right to go through apps, and swiping up to activate the app switcher also takes three or four swipes to be successful. On iOS 8.4.1, which I am back using on both devices, this isn't the case.

On the 6 when using the app switcher if you tap on an app that's maybe two or three back in the "row" there is a noticeable stutter as that app zooms forward and becomes the active app.

This is the first year I've stepped off the annual upgrade train ... well, I don't want a larger iPad so I won't be getting a new iPad for the first time in four years.

So perhaps "lag" means one thing to some and one to another. iOS 9 simply does not feel as fluid or responsive under the finger or to the eye as iOS 8.4.1 on the most recent devices.

Reactions: dk001

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
iOS 8 wasn't very responsive when I first got my 6. Do you think it's something they will fix in time?

The number of unregistered finger presses increased with iOS 9. Have they borked the touchscreen cpu usage? The drivers? (If they exist)

Reactions: Act3 and TRDmanAE86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.