Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
My experience has been the same, with the exception of one of the iOS 9 betas that was a battery disaster. But Apple did promise significant improvements, and that hasn't materialized - most tests and most users seem to see results that are "as good as" rather than noticeably improved. I'm actually not complaining, and I don't want to underestimate the value of the new functionality in iOS 9, but if people feel disappointed it's understandable. Personally, in my own work, I prefer to promise reasonable outcomes and then over-deliver. :shrug:
that's just marketing... I don't even read statements like those.
And I'm avoiding betas.

As a final user, going from iOS 8.4.1 to iOS 9.0.1 was a painless process. Added functionalities without performance loss.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
My MINI 2 runs just as fast if not faster on IOS 9.1. My 5S ran just as fast on 9.01 as it did on 8.4 (until I replaced it with a 6S and have shut it down). Obviously, for some people it doesn't. Whether this is due to some (or a couple) of applications that eat up resources or network connections etc. Something is going on on some phones that isn't with others. It would be interesting if someone could do all the research necessary and figure out what causes this for some and not for others. Not blaming any applications, etc. but I'm sure there are some that are very inefficient and cause many other problems for people.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
So if you say that some people could have had 8.4.1 that wasn't running right somehow that could have been contributing to some performance type of issues, it seems the same could apply to some people with 9 who could be experiencing issues for similar reasons (and not because there's some widespread issue with 9), right? Sure, that specifically might not address the part about 9 being better necessarily, but it seems to relate to the part about 9 being worse for everyone as quite a few people have been continuously trying to say or imply.

Except that on a clean install it's consistently worse. I've done clean install after clean install, tried various OTA update methods (including erasing all settings, erasing all content and settings).

No one arguing iOS 9 performs better actually has shown any proof - however I've shown numerous YouTube videos and my own app opening times on the iPad 2, all of which show slower performance.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Except that on a clean install it's consistently worse. I've done clean install after clean install, tried various OTA update methods (including erasing all settings, erasing all content and settings).

No one arguing iOS 9 performs better actually has shown any proof - however I've shown numerous YouTube videos and my own app opening times on the iPad 2, all of which show slower performance.
That's the thing, no one needs to show proof to me. If someone says iOS 9 performs better than iOS 8, I don't need proof. Your YouTube video aside, glad you did it and was interesting, but my use case iOS 9 feels better than is 8. All these YouTube videos are entertaining and that's where they end.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
That's the thing, no one needs to show proof to me. If someone says iOS 9 performs better than iOS 8, I don't need proof. Your YouTube video aside, glad you did it and was interesting, but my use case iOS 9 feels better than is 8. All these YouTube videos are entertaining and that's where they end.

Yes no one needs to prove that they perceive iOS 9 to be faster, however if you want to claim " iOS 9 performs better than iOS 8" you will need proof. One of the most universal methods of measuring performance is how fast the stock applications load.

The YouTube videos , which compare iOS 8 to 9 on clean installs early show a degradation of performance overall. If safari speeding up is enough to make you perceive iOS 9 to be faster good on you, but to empirically say iOS 9 performs faster you need proof, and there is no way to prove your own perception.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It's not consistently worse for many. It seems like it is for some, but not many others. I'm not sure why that basic reality has to be needlessly argued with or overlooked.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes no one needs to prove that they perceive iOS 9 to be faster, however if you want to claim " iOS 9 performs better than iOS 8" you will need proof. One of the most universal methods of measuring performance is how fast the stock applications load.

The YouTube videos , which compare iOS 8 to 9 on clean installs early show a degradation of performance overall. If safari speeding up is enough to make you perceive iOS 9 to be faster good on you, but to empirically say iOS 9 performs faster you need proof, and there is no way to prove your own perception.
I disagree, it can be my opinion that ios 9 is faster/feels smoother etc than iOS 8 in my use case and I don't have to provide proof. Further I don't take your videos as the word that one version is slower than the other for all 100 million users. as you yourself said above, your not gettng the message.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I've lost track of exactly where this discussion is. Are you talking only about performance on an iPad 2, or on all iOS devices?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I've lost track of exactly where this discussion is. Are you talking only about performance on an iPad 2, or on all iOS devices?

All devices but I was saying that I had given evidence that the iPad 2 was slowe. I also posted videos of the 4S, 5 and 5S in that article a few posts back.

My argument is simple. That iOS 9 is a slower operating system when compared to a proper installation of iOS 8. If anyone wants to post a app opening time comparison + videos showing app interfaces running faster once apps are loaded running, and those videos and times show that iOS 9 runs faster I'm happy to be wrong.

I argue that anyone who finds iOS 9 faster either doesn't notice their device loading things slowe, is affected by the placebo effect or had a very por iOS 8 installation. Perception is not equal to proper side by side side testing.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It's not consistently worse for many. It seems like it is for some, but not many others. I'm not sure why that basic reality has to be needlessly argued with or overlooked.

No one has shown that iOS 9 is faster than a clean install to iOS 8. Thus until someone has solid proof the objective fact is that iOS 9 doesn't improve perofrmance (epscieallt in terms of app opening speeds) over iOS 8. iOS 9 may fix a dodgy install of iOS 8, but that's an unfair test. People's perception that iOS 9 is faster doesn't count for anything other than perceotion.

I disagree, it can be my opinion that ios 9 is faster/feels smoother etc than iOS 8 in my use case and I don't have to provide proof. Further I don't take your videos as the word that one version is slower than the other for all 100 million users. as you yourself said above, your not gettng the message.

How fast something is, is not an opinion. That is objective. If apps open slower that means worse perofrmance, regardless of how fast the interface is.

Please bring to mY attention proof that iOS 9 is faster. Otherwise it is purely opinion. You don't account for a poor install of iOS 8 in your perceotion.

They're not my video so, and in every single speed test video I've seen s far, iOS 9 constantly is slower.

Again - you can perceive iOS 9 to be faster but that is purely perception until you have solid evidence. You say it yourself - " in my use case". Your use case is not a fair comparison given the number of variables ( dodgy iOS 8 install etc). A clean install with and without a restore from backup are reallt the only fair methods of testing two versions of iOS to objectively declare one faster than the other.

Reactions: dk001 and Act3

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Thanks supports my point that Apple will continue to add features to iOS.

I never said rehydrate would not. You are not following the argument. I said that apple had brought iOS 9 to older devices by adapting a new method of devolving for older devices, as the article outlines, which means starting with a core version of iOS (without new features) and turning them on one by one and testing the best mix to ensure the best possible performance. I argued that this will be the method Apple could use to bring iOS 10 to older devices, in that they could deliver iOS 10 to A5 devices by turning off most of the new (iOS 10 features for newer devices) and delivering only the core OS + a minimal number of new features for ongoing security support while maintaining performance.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No one has shown that iOS 9 is faster than a clean install to iOS 8. Thus until someone has solid proof the objective fact is that iOS 9 doesn't improve perofrmance (epscieallt in terms of app opening speeds) over iOS 8. iOS 9 may fix a dodgy install of iOS 8, but that's an unfair test. People's perception that iOS 9 is faster doesn't count for anything other than perceotion.

How fast something is, is not an opinion. That is objective. If apps open slower that means worse perofrmance, regardless of how fast the interface is.

Please bring to mY attention proof that iOS 9 is faster. Otherwise it is purely opinion. You don't account for a poor install of iOS 8 in your perceotion.

They're not my video so, and in every single speed test video I've seen s far, iOS 9 constantly is slower.

Again - you can perceive iOS 9 to be faster but that is purely perception until you have solid evidence. You say it yourself - " in my use case". Your use case is not a fair comparison given the number of variables ( dodgy iOS 8 install etc). A clean install with and without a restore from backup are reallt the only fair methods of testing two versions of iOS to objectively declare one faster than the other.
The opinion is the leap you made; in your case with your own hardware and cannot prove it applies across the board to every iPad/iPhone in every configuration.
Performance is much more than app opening; it's the ability to work through your use case as fast as possible. It seems your stuck in app opening as the ultimate measure of performance when safari as an example, is far and away better in iOS 9.

I don't know how many peoples use case consist of opening and closing apps as the sole measure of what people use an idevice for.

Reactions: newellj

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I never said rehydrate would not. You are not following the argument. I said that apple had brought iOS 9 to older devices by adapting a new method of devolving for older devices, as the article outlines, which means starting with a core version of iOS (without new features) and turning them on one by one and testing the best mix to ensure the best possible performance. I argued that this will be the method Apple could use to bring iOS 10 to older devices, in that they could deliver iOS 10 to A5 devices by turning off most of the new (iOS 10 features for newer devices) and delivering only the core OS + a minimal number of new features for ongoing security support while maintaining performance.
My point is you don't really know the method Apple will use. They probably already know exactly what theybarendoing for iOS 10, as my guess is that there is a two to three year development cycle for new hardware and software.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The opinion is the leap you made; in your case with your own hardware and cannot prove it applies across the board to every iPad/iPhone in every configuration.
Performance is much more than app opening; it's the ability to work through your use case as fast as possible. It seems your stuck in app opening as the ultimate measure of performance when safari as an example, is far and away better in iOS 9.

I don't know how many peoples use case consist of opening and closing apps as the sole measure of what people use an idevice for.

I used a multitude of devices and a clean install. That removes almost all variables 1 certainly far more than in your case. Not tot mention I've seen the same results mirrored all over Internet yet not one example of faster performance. iOS 9 performed consistnalty the same across my devices (of the same type. Again mirrored in the performance I've seen in videos, in posted performance reviews etc

How long an app takes to open is the major way people Judge performance on. It's how ars technica does, it is how most people do. It influences how you use you pr device heavily.

However assuming apple is still signing iOS 8 tonight I will test the interface and individual app performance across iOS 8 and iOS 9.

Neither Apple or you can say that iOS 9 performs better as a blanket statement, ignoring how long it takes to launch apps. You could say apps are more responsive 'once launched' but you can not say that means iOS performs better overall.

However as I have said about 19 million times feel free to show me evidence that iOS 9 is faster in terms of both app opening speeds and app responsiveness of a down a install. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong. Otherwise it's down to your individual perception and apples claims of improved performance are false.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
My point is you don't really know the method Apple will use. They probably already know exactly what theybarendoing for iOS 10, as my guess is that there is a two to three year development cycle for new hardware and software.

No don't know with 100 permit accuracy but it is likely they will use the same as iOS 9. Apple probably have an idea of what features will be implemented, however they won't be able to make a judgment of how well those various new features will run on older hardware ( they will probably javelin decided which arbitrary feature cuts will be made though) , at which point they will either use the traditional method of devolping iOS 10 for older devices or they will use the method that they used in iOS 9, outlined in that article.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No don't know with 100 permit accuracy but it is likely they will use the same as iOS 9. Apple probably have an idea of what features will be implemented, however they won't be able to make a judgment of how well those various new features will run on older hardware ( they will probably javelin decided which arbitrary feature cuts will be made though) , at which point they will either use the traditional method of devolping iOS 10 for older devices or they will use the method that they used in iOS 9, outlined in that article.
Well we're off on a tangent, but I believe apple should darn well know what will run on what given they can get the right people in the room. They don't want to develop and re-develop and re-develop. The hardware engineers, software engineers know exactly how everything functions under the covers and they need to develop an O/S, not play around until they get the right mix.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I used a multitude of devices and a clean install. That removes almost all variables 1 certainly far more than in your case. Not tot mention I've seen the same results mirrored all over Internet yet not one example of faster performance. iOS 9 performed consistnalty the same across my devices (of the same type. Again mirrored in the performance I've seen in videos, in posted performance reviews etc

How long an app takes to open is the major way people Judge performance on. It's how ars technica does, it is how most people do. It influences how you use you pr device heavily.

However assuming apple is still signing iOS 8 tonight I will test the interface and individual app performance across iOS 8 and iOS 9.

Neither Apple or you can say that iOS 9 performs better as a blanket statement, ignoring how long it takes to launch apps. You could say apps are more responsive 'once launched' but you can not say that means iOS performs better overall.

However as I have said about 19 million times feel free to show me evidence that iOS 9 is faster in terms of both app opening speeds and app responsiveness of a down a install. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong. Otherwise it's down to your individual perception and apples claims of improved performance are false.

The bolded is a red-herring as there is no way of knowing. Personally would rather using an app be fast rather than measuring how many milliseconds it took to open. If I'm in an app doing photo-retouching or audio editing or movie editing or composing music or drawing I want the use of the app to be fast. I could care less whether it took a millisecond longer to open. It's like measuring the performance of a car based on how fast the engine starts. It does not pass the common sense test and these types of tests that are seen on youtube are good for entertainment only.

We think very differently in terms of what the word performance means.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well we're off on a tangent, but I believe apple should darn well know what will run on what given they can get the right people in the room. They don't want to develop and re-develop and re-develop. The hardware engineers, software engineers know exactly how everything functions under the covers and they need to develop an O/S, not play around until they get the right mix.

Did you not read the article?

It's not developing and re devolpijg, it's turning features on one by one to asses their impact on a devices Peformamce.

Apple have no clue what will and won't run well on older devices until they TEST it. You really think apple take blind guesses at how well various new features will run then release it on that guess?

In regards to 'develop and redevolp' that is how most software defilement happens. Re writhing of code to make it more and more efficient.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The bolded is a red-herring as there is no way of knowing. Personally would rather using an app be fast rather than measuring how many milliseconds it took to open. If I'm in an app doing photo-retouching or audio editing or movie editing or composing music or drawing I want the use of the app to be fast. I could care less whether it took a millisecond longer to open. It's like measuring the performance of a car based on how fast the engine starts. It does not pass the common sense test and these types of tests that are seen on youtube are good for entertainment only.

Apps taking consieray longer to load makes a whole device slow. It's fairly common knowledge.

Those YouTube videos are not ' entertainment' they demonstrate that you are wrong unless you show me otherwise that apps load faster in iOS 9.

Your argument is that apps in iOS 9 perform faster once launched. That may be true ( I doubt it given how slow a clean install on my far superior in performance iPad mini 2 runs) but that is not the only aspect of Peformamce. Thus iOS 9 is not overall faster than iOS 8. Feel free to show me some solid proof other than your own perceptions.

You still have not addressed the issue that your install of iOS 8 may have been dodgy.

Once I am home I will find thee video that shows how the iPad mini 2 lagging in applications.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I agree that how long an app takes to open is a single data point in a very rich spectrum of performance, and I also agree that to superimpose one's opinion that this is the "major" way that "everybody" judges performance is an astonishing leap. Apps taking longer to load certainly does not make a whole device slow.

Ars Technica found that iOS devices of many types performed mostly better on iOS 9 than iOS 8: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/ios-9-thoroughly-reviewed/8/#h1

Reactions: I7guy

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I agree that how long an app takes to open is a single data point in a very rich spectrum of performance, and I also agree that to superimpose one's opinion that this is the "major" way that "everybody" judges performance is an astonishing leap. Apps taking longer to load certainly does not make a whole device slow.

Ars Technica found that iOS devices of many types performed mostly better on iOS 9 than iOS 8: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/ios-9-thoroughly-reviewed/8/#h1

Thats all benchmarking. Doesn't change how fast the interface performs which is where most will judge speed from.

Performance is made up of two key things - how long it takes to open apps/multitask etc and how responsive those apps are once open. Unless they're both improved or at least the same, Apple has not delivered on what it promised.

"Using it on every supported iPhone, iPod, and iPad feels about the same as using iOS 8—it doesn’t fix that operating system’s biggest performance sins, particularly for Apple A5 devices, but it doesn't make anything much worse (we'll be examining iPhone 4S and iPad 2 performance in a separate article). In some cases, it even makes things better."

It does;t make anything "Much Worse". That is not a performance increase. the article says "In some cases, it even makes things better", then goes onto talk about benchmarking which has little impact to app launch speed and interface speed, or even app speed (beyond slightly improved safari speed).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Thats all benchmarking. Doesn't change how fast the interface performs which is where most will judge speed from.

Performance is made up of two key things - how long it takes to open apps/multitask etc and how responsive those apps are once open. Unless they're both improved or at least the same, Apple has not delivered on what it promised.

"Using it on every supported iPhone, iPod, and iPad feels about the same as using iOS 8—it doesn’t fix that operating system’s biggest performance sins, particularly for Apple A5 devices, but it doesn't make anything much worse (we'll be examining iPhone 4S and iPad 2 performance in a separate article). In some cases, it even makes things better."

It does;t make anything "Much Worse". That is not a performance increase. the article says "In some cases, it even makes things better", then goes onto talk about benchmarking which has little impact to app launch speed and interface speed, or even app speed (beyond slightly improved safari speed).

Benchmarking is exactly what you have been touting when you aggrandize your own you tube video. When someone else does it, it holds no water.

Your definition of performance is not the worlds definition. Your definition of performance would be gauging the performance of a car by how fast the engine starts. If you look at the article quoted, it puts in perspective my "seat of the pants" feel, when discussing javascript improvements. I would venture to guess browsing the internet is one of the biggest activities to be done on these mobile devices and apple improved the performance in Safari.

Opening up app after app, second by second, is parlor entertainment only. That is nobodys use case.

So in essence according to this article, apple has fulfilled on it's promise. Maybe not every nook and cranny, in every corner, in every idevice, in every configuration, but certainly much closer than you have been attempting (and failing) to make a case about loss performance across the board, even if you could prove such a broad thing by making a sweeping generalization of one small test that is not a use case for anybody.

Reactions: dcp10 and newellj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.