Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
neighbours...

In their respective Paris offices, Nomura and Apple share the same building. Sounds like the walls are quite thin there.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Google does not produce phones and therefore does not need to pay to Nokia but companies that do produces Android phones have been paying Nokia all along. That is one of the reasons why Android phones were less profitable but now the situation has changed.

Is that right? Android phone makers have been paying Nokia? If so, that means some Android phone makers are paying twice, for some are paying Microsoft for patent rights to use Android too. What a mess.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
This should prop up their expected dismal (again) quarterly showing.

When your products suck ass because you were colossally negligent for nearly four years I guess you can live off royalties. Why not.

4 years? I have a Nokia e71, released 3 years ago. It does not suck ass.

Is there a reason why you seem so obsessed with praising apple? Perhaps youre a shareholder?

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
For what reason was the patent claim filed anyway? With Apple suing so many companies and them suing Apple back, this was going to happen sooner or later.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
So LTD - you admit that Apple was in the wrong and Nokia was justified in suing and that winning the suit was legit?

I admit that if Apple owed money to Nokia for use of their patents then they need to pay like anyone else. But that was never at issue.

If Nokia was asking for more than what everyone else was paying then we had a problem, in which case it was right for Apple to hold out.

I'm not sure what there was to "win" here when Apple would have had to pay Nokia something anyway. We all knew that. The only question was how much. That's what the dispute was about. Not whether Apple owed anything.

Not much of a contest to begin with, though. You've got an innovator at the top of their game, and then you've got an example of wilful negligence gone very bad. Nokia can use every cent they can get. Good for them. Better buyout bait at then end.

If only they put as much attention into their products as they do with pursuing patent royalties.

But karma is clearly a bitch, because of all the wagons to hitch their droopy star to they picked Microsoft's. Or rather, it was probably fate.

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
I wonder what Nokia had that was so valuable? I used one of their phones from Sept 2010 - Feb 2011 and I hated it. It did nothing right. Its hard to imagine any technology from Nokia being worth $0.01, not to mention $6.00 a phone.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks to Apple, Nokia won't be closing up shop. They are very near collapse. Perhaps they'll be bought out.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I admit that if Apple owed money to Nokia for use of their patents then they need to pay like anyone else. But that was never at issue.

If Nokia was asking for more than what everyone else was paying then we had a problem, in which case it was right for Apple to hold out.

I'm not sure what there was to "win" here when Apple would have had to pay Nokia something anyway. We all knew that. The only question was how much. That's what the dispute was about. Not whether Apple owed anything.

Not much of a contest to begin with, though. You've got an innovator at the top of their game, and then you've got an example of wilful negligence gone very bad. Nokia can use every cent they can get. Good for them. Better buyout bait at then end.

LOL. Run for congress - you're great at sidestepping.

Now Nokia is not only negligent (in your opinion) but WILLFUL? Too funny. You also start my saying IF Apple owed money - and then you stated that Apple did owe Nokia money - the question was how much. Do you see how you shape your posts to serve your purpose/twist it anyway you can to keep Apple ahead in the arrangement?

Here's the fact. Nokia owned patents. Apple used them. Apple was sued and lost and now has to make restitution. There's no patent trolling going on. There's a legitimate patent holder who enforced their rights via the legal system.

BELIEVE me - if this were Apple's patents and Nokia was sued and lost - you'd be shouting how great it is that someone who dared opposed Apple got shot down. Of that I am certain.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I wonder what Nokia had that was so valuable? I used one of their phones from Sept 2010 - Feb 2011 and I hated it. It did nothing right. Its hard to imagine any technology from Nokia being worth $0.01, not to mention $6.00 a phone.

They do dumbphones ok. As long as the market for dumbphones remains viable, of course. If we were ever to see content-rich app-enabled phones the likes of Google's and Apple's approaching dumbphone prices, however, then Nokia will have even more problems. But by then their future will have been decided. What that future is we'll find out sometime in 2012.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

Basically it's the technology that enables the iPhone to make a phone call or access the 3G networks.

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/2...uit-against-apple-regarding-wireless-patents/

Nokia said:
The ten patents in suit relate to technologies fundamental to making devices which are compatible with one or more of the GSM, UMTS (3G WCDMA) and wireless LAN standards. The patents cover wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption and are infringed by all Apple iPhone models shipped since the iPhone was introduced in 2007.

Pretty useful don't you think?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Here's the fact. Nokia owned patents. Apple used them. Apple was sued and lost and now has to make restitution.

No. Those are only half the facts. The dispute was about how much Nokia was demanding from Apple. Apple was asking for the same treatment Nokia gave everyone else in terms of the actual amount owing.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
They do dumbphones ok. As long as the market for dumbphones remains viable, of course. If we were ever to see content-rich app-enabled phones the likes of Google's and Apple's approaching dumbphone prices, however, then Nokia will have even more problems. But by then their future will have been decided. What that future is we'll find out sometime in 2012.

I hope the partnership with M$ proves successful. I'd hate to have LTD's dreams of a monopoly market run by Apple. Corporate competition only makes the consumer the real winner.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

I think dumbphones still have plenty of life still left in them. You'll disagree. But you have a bias.

No. Those are only half the facts. The dispute was about how much Nokia was demanding from Apple. Apple was asking for the same treatment Nokia gave everyone else in terms of the actual amount owing.

No. What I stated was fact. You can throw in random details of the case - but my summary is 100 percent correct. But nice try.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I hope the partnership with M$ proves successful. I'd hate to have LTD's dreams of a monopoly market run by Apple. Corporate competition only makes the consumer the real winner.

I don't mind competition, as long as it's competent.

There's already too much poorly designed, bad tech out there. Adding more doesn't help anyone.

I tend to laugh a little harder than most at the incompetence that's out there. Partly because for the most part, it's such a stark contrast to Apple.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
4 years? I have a Nokia e71, released 3 years ago. It does not suck ass.

Is there a reason why you seem so obsessed with praising apple? Perhaps youre a shareholder?

You're right... Nokia always sucked :) their software is a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.