Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
So whatever happened to all those people who wanted a Dick Tracy watch ?

We got an iPhone. :)

I love the idea of a watch IF there is something really useful Apple can come up with to make it more than just a smart calendar and time keeper.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Hearing the thing, especially while driving, seems like the biggest problem unless it comes with wireless earphones. Of course these would help with music. But would people want to wear ear things all the time?

I don't understand why hearing would be a huge problem, even without an ear piece. As for the car, there is a very simple solution available-- just integrate with your car's sound system.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
This is the same ole story with a new topic when Rumors start running of a new apple device:

1. People say how much they hate the idea and will have no use for it
2. Apple confirms the device with an event
3. Some people finally understands the idea, others still hate it and deem it DOA
4. The device goes on sale to the tune of a few million
5. Those who bought it love it, those who didn't, trash it and says sales will begin to decline soon enough.
6. Apples quarter call, reports best quarter ever and the rest of the world, quarter by quarter begins to buy the device and Apple is deemed the most innovative company in history once again.

I've seen it happen too many times before. Most recently was the iPad. I can't count how many posts I read saying that the iPad would be a complete failure that their was absolutely no need for it. Apple had lost its touch and all that. How is the iPad doing? Exactly.

Lets also not forget how many times I had to hear that Apple would absolutely fail at the Apple Store idea. People said they would be closing up their last store in a years time!! Oh and how are the Apple Stores doing, even in this time where everyone is buying online? Exactly.

Do I need to go on people? I can name many devices and ideas that Apple has had that I hear and read the exact same responses too. Yet look at the results of them? I'm not saying Apple will never make a product ever again that just fails. Oh I am sure they will. Every company will/does. Though it's the same thing every time Apple releases something.

Here is something it seems most people here haven't quite understood. We are not the market. The market is the average every day user, like my grandmother, that just knows how to access her email, browse the web, and other very basic stuff. What has made the iPhone/iPad keep selling with all this competition out there? It is because they do market their products for that crowd! Ask yourself, your grandmother or parents want to get a tech device but don't know a lot about tech. They just want a device they always works, almost never have to worry about, EXTREMELY easy to use, and doesn't change a lot to scare them? What device would you suggest for them? Yep exactly, an iPhone, iPod Touch, or an iPad. That is what most of the market is. We here are the minority that are tech loving people that like to push our devices to their limits and sometimes beyond.

Walk into an Apple Store and just listen to some people talk. Most people in their are not creative professionals, tech loving nerds, or anything like that. They are the average every day person that just barely knows how their devices work.

I would not say that this device is a fail, especially when we don't even know it if it is real (the concept drawing looks like their is no way that would come from Apples Design team).

Also just to say what Steve Jobs would always quote from Henry Ford:
"'If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.' It's our job to show people what they want."

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Must be nice to have a job where you don't actually work. Any job where you do actual work doesn't allow cellphone use on the job, if you're even allowed to have it on your person.

In my job I'm allowed to look at my phone when I want, going to med school pays off. I'm an adult, not in high school anymore, no one can tell me to put my phone away

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Small! Not these big chunky watches. Even the pebble is a little too big. Retina. 320 by 240 e-paper always on. Color unlikely, grayscale likely. Backlight unlikely. Microphone. No speaker. Vibration. Bluetooth. Accelerometer. No buttons. Magnetic cable connection for charge/data. Waterproof. Charge daily very heavy use, weekly very light use. Use it to talk to Siri in your iPhone or iPad. Siri responds with voice on your phone or pad, or more likely in text on the watch.

Why would this be better than a headset?
I can listen to music on a headset. I can use Siri, (with a microphone that is actually near my mouth hole.)
And I can use a headset without charging it up every day.

The Apple iWatch - like a headset but somewhat less useful!

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
I wonder how much time its going to be until Samesong release a watch based on the current rumors. Hell they may even release one before Apple actually annouced there own and then say its there R&D.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Wow so much hate ITT.

It may not be the device for me, but personally I always get a little excited inside when Apple release a new line of products.

indeed. I think there is a bunch of granpa's in here that just dont like any kind of change.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
A watch is so much more practical to read texts or twitters than a phone. And a voice interface (siri) to communicate back is needed, since a keyboard on something as small as a watch is impractical.

If you're jogging, walking or cycling, a watch connected to your headphones and running up your arm is SO much better than headphones connected to your pocket. You can change songs or song apps easily instead of taking out your phone from your pocket, while your legs are moving.

If you're someone who spends time commuting on a bus or train, a watch is not needed, but someone who walks or bikes to work, or exercises on a treadmill, a watch is so much better than an iPod. (I've sent my iPod crashing when I've set it on a machine, and my headphones are connected to my ears. I leave the workstation, and forget about the iPod, and crash. A watch would eliminate all that).

Bluetooth headphones with a watch would be awesome. Hands free all the time.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's interesting to see this happening after the huge success of the Pebble kickstarter. I thought this is the kind of tech Apple would have, not invented, but thought of as pioneers with.

quantumphysics

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
screen is going to be too small to do anything! my index finger will probably cover half the watch..

talking into your watch in public is not always convenient either.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I'll be honest. At the moment I have zero interest in something like this. They are going to have to really wow me to get me interested.

yeah, I can't really see the need for this...

(but then again, I didn't know the usefulness of a camera in a cellphone either, 15 years ago...)

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Things I won't do on a watch

Thinking of it... here are things I would NOT DO with an iWatch.

1. Talk into the watch.
2. Watch a movie.
3. Read an email longer than 10 words.
4. Play a game.
5. write anything.
6. Surf the web.

Things I WOULD do...
1. See what time it is.
2. Read a text message.
3. View a picture of a loved one (this would be limited.
4. Use as a GPS like device while walking.
5. Get reminders.
6. Listen to music via a Bluetooth headset.
7. Use as a pedometer.
8. Use as a payment device via scanner or NFIC
9. Remote start my car????

That's all I can think of. :)

Anyone else???? Got some good uses or non-uses for one of these?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I imagine a digital readout strapped to a Marine's wrist showing where other Marines are during combat would be quite useful. Even better if information on enemy positions were available as well.

Imagine opposite forces picking up a watch off a dead/injury marine showing them where the rest of his squad/platoon is.

It is not a video game. It is actually the real deal. Combat beyond the couch.

Besides constantly broadcasting means you can be tracked. Don't even need the info being transmitted. You are painting a picture in the EM space.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
You would look less weird wearing a watchband than a headset! :eek:

Those white headsets seem to have caught on where I live.
And you can listen to music on them too.
And they only cost $20 or so.
And the mike picks up your voice pretty good, because it isn't at the end of your arm.

The iWatch - Like headphones but for deaf people.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It's interesting to see this happening after the huge success of the Pebble kickstarter. I thought this is the kind of tech Apple would have, not invented, but thought of as pioneers with.

Yes. You understand. But this is no Kickstarter Software/Functions.

90% of the posts in here focus on a headphone jack.

That is like looking at a new car and focusing on the Wiper Fluid you put in.

Comical.

It will surpass the mini in demand. ;)

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
If you are in a meeting, fiddling with your phone to handle a call or text is ungood, but a glance at your watch is better. You can avoid disruption, even be stealthy about it - people "steal a glance" at their watch to check how long this boring meeting is going on all the time.Can't do that with a phone. See who's calling, read the text, see where the email is from. Then you can make a triage-like decision about replying or taking the call. Even putting your watch near your mouth dick tracy style and whispering a question to Siri and seeing the answer on the watch face is fairly unobtrusive compared to whipping out a phone or pad. Why do you think secret agents do that instead of talking to a big walkie talkie?

Jugney

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
This is the same ole story with a new topic when Rumors start running of a new apple device:

1. People say how much they hate the idea and will have no use for it
2. Apple confirms the device with an event
3. Some people finally understands the idea, others still hate it and deem it DOA
4. The device goes on sale to the tune of a few million
5. Those who bought it love it, those who didn't, trash it and says sales will begin to decline soon enough.
6. Apples quarter call, reports best quarter ever and the rest of the world, quarter by quarter begins to buy the device and Apple is deemed the most innovative company in history once again.

You left out a step between 2 and 3: The stock price takes a dive after the announcement, because investors feel it doesn't live up to rumors and isn't innovative enough.

There should be a Hall of Fame for best comments. Your comment, sir, belongs there. If anyone was around when the iPad was announced after the months and months and months of hype, you know how negative the reaction was at the time (people were disappointed it didn't run OS X, among other things). It was ridiculed for months, until people realized how incredible the sales were, and then they became more open to the idea.

quantumphysics

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Thinking of it... here are things I would NOT DO with an iWatch.

1. Talk into the watch.
2. Watch a movie.
3. Read an email longer than 10 words.
4. Play a game.
5. write anything.
6. Surf the web.

Things I WOULD do...
1. See what time it is.
2. Read a text message.
3. View a picture of a loved one (this would be limited.
4. Use as a GPS like device while walking.
5. Get reminders.
6. Listen to music via a Bluetooth headset.
7. Use as a pedometer.
8. Use as a payment device via scanner or NFIC
9. Remote start my car????

That's all I can think of. :)

Anyone else???? Got some good uses or non-uses for one of these?

I Agree with not talking into the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.