Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
screen is going to be too small to do anything! my index finger will probably cover half the watch...
No problem to swipe up, down, left, right, tap, double tap, triple tap on it.. That is more Apple-ish than having physical buttons on the thing. And you don't need much resolution on the touch sensor for that.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Worst idea ever. People really want to wear a watch that is butt-ugly, has awful battery life, and is the same as the watch millions of other people are wearing.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow, fancy that, a mock up of an iWatch makes it look exactly the same as an iPhone or iPad.... in interface.

Although it probably would be, good luck with the battery on a device with a screen that big and the overall device that thin and having all those features.. It will NOT have WiFi as that would kill the battery, it will have Bluetooth 4.

Sorry but this is a load of BS, a personal computer on your wrist, that requires charging every single day depending on use maybe every half a day. No. Sure you can make the screen turn off but it's a watch, it's supposed to display the time all the erm, time. Even Pebble were smart enough to use an e-ink display and use Bluetooth only and give the watch the certain feature set, and even then it still needs charging every 7 day's.

Oh and before people say it will last longer then a day:

http://www.imsmart.com/en/i-m-watch/specifications

cienzod

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Errr, isn't there already an iWatch brand that belongs to a company that makes watch straps for the previous Nano?

Can't exactly be called an iWatch then can it??

Last edited:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
if only I had something on me at all times that could tell me the time, offer maps, email, texts, browsing....

That reminds me of a time when mobile phones were going through transformation. "If i can only have a phone that makes and receives calls and SMS! That's all i need"

Let's be a little more open minded and think of the endless possibilities.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
You don't need a full phone in there, the iWatch is simply an I/O Airplay receiver for your iPhone or other iOS devices.

So you can keep your phone or iPad in your bag, and get the time, notifications, use Siri to make calls or skip to the next track, see your iPod display etc. It provides a headphone jack and it can track your arm movements and heart rate and send back to the iOS device when you are working out. It displays maps so you can get turn by turn directions with a quick look at your wrist instead of carrying a phone. NFC in the band for making transactions or share contact information when you shake someones hand. Control of the apple TV on your wrist, and if you were watching a video and had to leave the room it could start streaming to the watch.

In other words, this is the wearable interface for all the other stuff that Apple already does or is working on.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Thinking of it..

Things I WOULD do...

That's all I can think of. :)

Anyone else???? Got some good uses or non-uses for one of these?

- Warn me when I leave my keys or iphone behind (or even locate the my keys/phone!)
- to see who's calling my iphone, and mute the ring/hangup the call
- reduce the necessity to type in certain passwords (such as the screen-lock password on my phone).
- key-less entry into my car ?

Last edited:

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
I'm so glad most of these commenters do not work for apple. Bring on the iwatch, or ill have to buy a Martian watch.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
In other words, this is the wearable interface for all the other stuff that Apple already does or is working on.

You mean like this:
earpoddsc09021.jpg

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Errr, isn't there already an iWatch brand that belongs to a company that makes watch straps for the previous Nano?

Can't exactly be called an iWatch then can it??

Yeap, but an Apple television will NEVER be called the iTV either, especially in Europe yet the press persist in using this name for it whenever they talk about it... So expect iWatch to become the general term for it now even though that name will never be used for the device, if it exists.

jprocha

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Imagine opposite forces picking up a watch off a dead/injury marine showing them where the rest of his squad/platoon is.

It is not a video game. It is actually the real deal. Combat beyond the couch.

Besides constantly broadcasting means you can be tracked. Don't even need the info being transmitted. You are painting a picture in the EM space.

If it had a heart rate monitor in it, the watch could deactivate when a pulse is no longer detected... morbid thought but would solve this problem.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I really REALLY hope the iWatch will look completely different then the mockups shown here on the first posting. Extremely ugly designs and very very inconvenient because I don't want to wear an entire wrist with electronics around my arm...

Less is more, I hope Apple didn't forgot that aspect now that they even going to make table tennis bats size iPhones....

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I wonder if Apple will have to license rights from that Swiss rail station for the iWatch's clock design.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I do hope it features a VGA port otherwise Time Cook should be fired and Eric Schmidt should be the CEO! NOW

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Worst idea ever. People really want to wear a watch that is butt-ugly, has awful battery life, and is the same as the watch millions of other people are wearing.

68K people paid good money on spec to get a pebble watch... A smart watch that didn't even exist when they pledged the money. So, yes, people will pay good money for such a device. How is this very useful and marketable idea eluding you people? As for the looks... I'm a man and don't really give ******. If it's useful and comfortable, I'll wear it.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I may never need to look for my remote controls again. If only, this could be used to replace my car keys.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The beginning of the end? Seriously think somethings wrong at Apple HQ.

This article says nothing about what is going on at Apple, but what idea some British newspaper has. As long as Apple doesn't replace Jony Ive with some journalist writing for the Observer, Apple will be doing just fine.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
This is the same ole story with a new topic when Rumors start running of a new apple device:

1. People say how much they hate the idea and will have no use for it
2. Apple confirms the device with an event
3. Some people finally understands the idea, others still hate it and deem it DOA
4. The device goes on sale to the tune of a few million
5. Those who bought it love it, those who didn't, trash it and says sales will begin to decline soon enough.
6. Apples quarter call, reports best quarter ever and the rest of the world, quarter by quarter begins to buy the device and Apple is deemed the most innovative company in history once again.

you missed the ipod hifi?

could even include the mighty mouse, magic mouse and the trackpad. although not new the new imac and mac pro are not the greatest thing since sliced bread. and if you want to go beyond physical devices then iwork and ilife and perhaps even final cut deserve a mention.

but you base those 6 points on the pretty much one mobile device released in a few different sizes with an os that started to look and feel dated years ago.

quixotic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2003
San Francisco, CA
meh.

I have 2 watches. 1 with a HRM for running. 1 Fancy to wear at fancy stuff. 99% of the time I wear neither, partly because to me a 'regular' watch is more fashion statement than utility – It'd have to be pretty badass for me to be willing to add it to my regular wardrobe. Same goes if they start making iTurtlenecks.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
There are a lot of runners, hikers, and cyclists who have extensive collections of sports watches that are expensive and frequently lacking. A watch with the power to bring all the features (GPS, heartrate, distance, pace, music, etc., etc.) together, plus provide the ability to stay in touch with others, would find a place in my collection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.