Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
It's obvious!!!

They're going to transition back to PowerPC!

And the PowerBook G5 will finally come out!!!

I think it's more obvious than that.

Apple is going to get out of the hardware business and make OSX for PC's.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Jobs mentioned at the Interview with Bill Gates that technology advancements would be used in "Post PC Devices" more than PC's...because people were comfortable with the traditional setup. I think he was referring to the fact that MT is not coming to the Macs any time soon. I hope it does though...hopefully on the new iMac's!! But I seriously doubt it.

Yeah, I remember that.

But the MT UI is addicting.

After an outing with the iPhone, I find vaguely uncomfortable/dissatisfied with the traditional mouse/keyboard interface...

Something's missing!

Why can't I just tap/squeeze/stroke/flick that page in iTunes/Aperture/FC/Pages/iPhoto/Google Maps/Safari/etc. on my Mac?

Control keys and mouse click/scroll are sooooo last century... like clothes that you've outgrown (or have gone out of style)... I just don't want to work (look) that way anymore.

KB/mouse is so... so... sooooo... polyester!

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Duh!!! Multi touch Macs! Cant anyone see that? The multitouch panels will be way more expensive, but Apple wont raise the cost! Also, possibly multitouch iPods!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Uhh, isn't the lower profit not simple an issue of lower margins? If they replace a product with high margin (lets say iPod) with something with low margin (say iPhone-iPod) than they would for now drop in profit. In time, the parts of the new product will cost less which will increase there profit. Apple always tends to work like this.

I've gotta agree. It's margins.

The current iMac has not been updated in 9 months; but the hardware used has dropped in price considerably. It probably has HUGE margins.

When Apple releases the new iMac, they're going to suddenly have much lower margins; add to that the current iMacs that will sit on shelves and have to be returned, and add to that the Leopard transition, and add to that the cost of deploying so many machines and increased R&D as Leopard nears completeness and the new machines come...

And add to that Apple's new accounting scheme...

I can see why they'd expect a short-term reduction in profits. Reduced profits does not mean a loss, just means making less money than they were making the month before.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
This sadly to say, fits with where the company is headed. All other development screeches to a halt for the iPhone?.. not good. I just bought a MacPro, but I would not be suprised that in 10 years there isn't a workstation Mac anymore.

You read the article and saw what was making them money right? It wasn't the iPhone...

TigerShark

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
But an iPhone shuffle? hehe...... In another thread I made a joke about apple coming out with an iphone shuffle that holds a thousand random phone numbers...the joke didnt go over well there...here? anything?

LMAO!!!

You've made my day with this. iPhone Shuffle! Good one! :)

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Apple needs to transition its engineering team into offering something new for the Mac Pro.

354 days with no significant updates. The Mac Pro will be one year old on August 7th......two Tuesdays from now.

D

davidmyers

Hm. This story item makes me wonder what they could introduce that
would cut into the bottom line so badly as an upfront cost? The only guesses
I can make would be introduction of a lower margin iPhone, or a lowish margin
flash laptop(?????). Surely brushed metal iMac enclosures aren't going to set
them back much. Could iMac's with LED screens be the culprit? Sheesh. Either
way, I am also a little bummed that I basically HAVE to buy a mac on the
upcoming taxfree day, and it seems almost a sure bet that I'll fail to get
the benefit of whatever is around the corner, plus I expect not to be able to
get a cheap Leopard upgrade either. That's the way it goes.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I think it's more obvious than that.

Apple is going to get out of the hardware business and make OSX for PC's.

They make their money off the hardware, they are highly profitable, and given their tiny market share more so than Microsoft.

What if certain or new iLife apps were offered as web-based apps? Is .Mac potentially the place where a new platform can be developed with some integration with iTunes? Those big buildings that Apple were developing for alleged server farms. Hmmm?

Could be I suppose, I really don't know...

Anyway, it's all conjecture. Just trying to see another angle because I don't think this is about touchscreens. Not yet, anyway.

Neither do I, developers would need to know beforehand, and it'd debute on a laptop. Personally I still think they're going to replace the iMac with the xMac, if the iMac was going Santa Rosa it would have done so already it hasn't been updated since last September...

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
What I'm saying is there will be no iLife per se.It will be integrated into Leopard.Not a separate app.Built in.Sort of like ( I hate to use this analogy ) Windows picture viewer.Or Windows movie maker.

I like this idea, but the first thing that crosses my mind is whether this would put Apple in the same hot water that MS was in bundling Windows Media Player.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I think Apple gave the tipoff themselves. They mentioned three reasons. Who said all three reasons aren't actually two or even one combined reason? Maybe the higher price of flash IS the transition? It's been written about that Apple's locked in lower flash prices with early long-term contracts? So why did it get mentioned as a reason why earnings would be lower if Apple's already guaranteed themselves cheaper flash?

I think the answer is that they're going to be using a LOT more flash memory than they are right now. My prediction is an all-flash iPod lineup. Put 32GB or 64GB in an iPod and I guarantee their margins are going to be a lot thinner, along with the iPods themselves. Those pictures of the 6G iPod that are disappointing everyone could just be the view from the front. Maybe the side view would show a video iPod with the thickness of a nano. Hard drives are comparatively cheap, so while Apple's paying lower flash costs than most, the replacement of hard drives with flash is going to be expensive cost-wise and would definitely qualify as a "transition" in product lines.

A new iMac would not be a transition since they still use all the same parts as any other Mac (i.e. MacBook Pro), just in a different form factor. Unless the new iMacs are going flash as well. Or they're going to incorporate the Robson turbo memory into the new Santa Rosa iMacs.

My bet's still on an all-flash iPod lineup.

Every time the iMac gets re-designed, there are brand new chip sets...I imagine that the cost of these components are going to be better Ram, more hard drive space (not flash, no way in the imac), MUCH better video cards and Quad core chips.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Apple needs to transition its engineering team into offering something new for the Mac Pro.

354 days with no significant updates. The Mac Pro will be one year old on August 7th......two Tuesdays from now.

This is even more ridiculous than the lack of an iMac update...I have also been very interested in a low end Mac Pro instead of a High End Imac, and have been waiting for them to have 2 gig of Ram as the stock along with a better graphics card...I can't see them re-designing it again, so why haven't the components been upgraded...it's been far too long.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I don't think this has much to do with Leopard. A lot of Mac buyers won't even be aware of the pend OS revision, others who do will choose to wait for a couple updates before adoption and early adopters will be happy to pay the $129. I'm not saying the release of Leopard in October won't have *any* effect on Mac sales, but I don't think it will be material to the bottom line.

Also, OS X releases (10.x.0) have always included the current iLife suite.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
This is even more ridiculous than the lack of an iMac update...I have also been very interested in a low end Mac Pro instead of a High End Imac, and have been waiting for them to have 2 gig of Ram as the stock along with a better graphics card...I can't see them re-designing it again, so why haven't the components been upgraded...it's been far too long.

I agree. Apple has let many things slip in the wake of the iPhone. The iMac needs updating, Mac Mini???, the iPod needs an update, Leopard, iLife and iWork are delayed because of the iPhone, and the Mac Pro needs an update badly. I'm not about to drop 2500+ dollars on a machine with graphics cards that are a year an a half old. Paying 2006 prices for 2006 hardware halfway through 2007 does not appeal to me.

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
If Apple made everything in the TV Shows section available for $29.99 a month and added live sports, award shows, etc., I would seriously consider getting an :apple:tv and dumping Comcast.

Except that Comcast would screw you on the cable internet when it's not attached to a cable tv plan. My internet only account with them is nearly $70 a month after taxes in the ATL.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I agree. Apple has let many things slip in the wake of the iPhone. The iMac needs updating, Mac Mini???, the iPod needs an update, Leopard, iLife and iWork are delayed because of the iPhone, and the Mac Pro needs an update badly. I'm not about to drop 2500+ dollars on a machine with graphics cards that are a year an a half old. Paying 2006 prices for 2006 hardware halfway through 2007 does not appeal to me.

I can understand Apple waiting on the iMac since it seems a lot is changing about it...the Mac Mini sounds like it is going away...and the iPods was not updated because of the iPhone. The Laptops have received updates steadily because there has been no major cosmetic change, so the Mac Pro should as well. NVIDIA and ATI released the Better cards months ago now, no reason to wait any longer (as said as it is, it seems the iMac update is coming first).

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003

Ditto for me. They'll have a $4000 order from me as soon as they refresh this stale machine!

Chimaera.fr

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Hi Everybody:

I think the "Product Transition" could fall into these 3 categories or be a mixed version of them:
1- Transition to a total green, environment safe, greenpeace-pleasable mac;
2- Transition to a HDD-less mac. Using memory card instead of Hard Disk;
3- Transition to a Keyless mac with a customizable graphical keyboard (iphone-like) instead of a fixed one.

ChadDimmack

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Does apple realize R&D costs for new products when the product is released? IE record it on their financial statements that way.

Does switching equipment in a manufacturing plant over to making new computer cases etc. increase costs?

Does the over-head of maintaining support for another generation of old equipment raise costs for apple?

Is perhaps the next generation of iLife DEPENDANT on core animation?

Just my thoughts as I read through this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.