Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
can someone explain to me how this is patentable?

it seems like these patents tend to get away with anything and then are used to troll later. for example I'm gonna make a patent and call it the juice mug, it looks and feels exactly like a coffee mug but it holds juice. It may be used for water, but not for coffee and may be see through in some applications but may be opaque. it may have a left handle or a right. it may be something but it may be nothing, it may be a computer but it won't be a computer. LOL

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I'll never see myself getting into the wearable electronics market. Call me old fashioned but everyone looks like a dingus... I never even got on the bluetooth ear peace craze of the mid 2000s

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
They're similar in the fact that both aren't terribly good ideas.

tell that to gaming legend John Carmack -- he just left id to work on Occulus' version of this.

----------

Well we are just a little over a year away from 2015:

...isnt it crazy? in 30 years we dont have nearly the amount of crazy-future stuff as envisioned in BTTF. tho how crazy-future would 1985 have seemed to somebody in 1955? better audio components, smaller (personal) computers...what else?

bryanescuela

Suspended
Jun 27, 2008
Here

Where's the iSnorkel?

i.jpg

Renzatic

Suspended
tell that to gaming legend John Carmack -- he just left id to work on Occulus' version of this.

John Carmack leaving Id to work on the Occulus made me take notice, but I'm still not 100% sold on the idea. I'm sold on Apple's idea even less, considering it seems to be a more general usage device.

I'll take a wait and see approach to see how it all turns out. But right now, I'm kinda iffy about the whole thing.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

it seems like these patents tend to get away with anything and then are used to troll later. for example I'm gonna make a patent and call it the juice mug, it looks and feels exactly like a coffee mug but it holds juice. It may be used for water, but not for coffee and may be see through in some applications but may be opaque. it may have a left handle or a right. it may be something but it may be nothing, it may be a computer but it won't be a computer. LOL

The cup already exists, however a cup made out of insulated plastic designed to have a permanently sealed hollow area between the plastic which would be pre-filled with a (relatively nontoxic) fluid that would: 1) stay frozen longer than water 2) get I a lower lower temperature than water 3) have a volume that doesn't increase or decrease when frozen, designed to be put in the freezer for a couple hours, then filled with juice which will freeze to the sides and may be scraped off with a spoon producing a quiescently delicious personal frozen treat... probably could exist as a patent (if it isn't already), despite the fact that the "cup" already exists and is not patentable,

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My idea was different, maybe I could still patent it. It is called the "entertainment bucket" You start with an orange 5 gallon Home Depot plastic bucket. Turn it upside down over the user's head. Straps go under the user's arms to keep the bucket in place. Then there is a small LCD monitor and some speakers go inside.

These would be much cheaper to make and only very slightly more stupid looking.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
...This thing is basically two little screens suspended in a head mounted unit, meant entirely to be used as an entertainment device.....

Others were selling cheap devices like this about 5 or more years ago, basically trying to claim that you can get a giant screen experience (for gaming or HT) on the cheap. But it never took off (and it gave many motion sickness). Here is Sony's pricier version: http://reviews.cnet.com/wearable-tech/sony-hmz-t3w-head/4505-34900_7-35827272.html

I am getting sick of Apple acting as a patent troll and building up legal defenses, without actually bringing any innovative technology to market.

Pretty much all we've seen, with the exception of the fingerprint sensor, is derivative. Even the new iOS7, which I personally like, is simply incorporating features long available on Android, and some on W8, and is basically being little more than a new launcher (a myriad of which are available in the Google Play Store).

I know Apple is profitable, I just don't see where it's going in terms of innovation. Even the iWatch thing will be old news by the time it comes out.

Last edited:

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
The cup already exists, however a cup made out of insulated plastic designed to have a permanently sealed hollow area between the plastic which would be pre-filled with a (relatively nontoxic) fluid that would: 1) stay frozen longer than water 2) get I a lower lower temperature than water 3) have a volume that doesn't increase or decrease when frozen, designed to be put in the freezer for a couple hours, then filled with juice which will freeze to the sides and may be scraped off with a spoon producing a quiescently delicious personal frozen treat... probably could exist as a patent (if it isn't already), despite the fact that the "cup" already exists and is not patentable,

Lol im glad we share a sense of humour but seriously, what about oculus rift, recon and zeal? not to mentioned the clear similarity to google class that all these devices share. clearly this item exists. the patent program in the US needs reform, drastically.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
this is gonna look ridiculous on someone walking down a street :|

This is a monitor for your face. Your vision is going to be covered by the device and all you're going to see are the two screens.

It's an Occulus Rift type device, not a google glass like device.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Looks like a nice way of actually watching movies up close to your eyes. Like when you´re on a plane, instead of having to look at your tiny iPhone or iPad screen. With the right display technology this is a no-brainer. I want one.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
YES! Finally, Google Glass done right!

This is the important part of your statement. You may want to look through some of their old patents and how they actually ended up in devices. Many merely leverage published patents without looking anything like what you see in the initial filings. The done right portion is ridiculous, because it implies that no one outside of Apple can do anything right. You might note that Google Glass could be interpreted as more of a publicity stunt than anything. In this case you have no idea how this will be leveraged or if it will just sit. I'm not addressing the rest of your statement, as it devolves into twelve year old logic.

You may want to review the line "what is claimed is" rather than the drawing.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Apple were considering something like this as a flagship product the final result would obviously need a good deal of refinement before launch. I guess would be probably at minimum, 5 years off.

This patent is already 5 years old. What's not shown here is all of the work done since then. :)

----------

Looks like a nice way of actually watching movies up close to your eyes. Like when you´re on a plane, instead of having to look at your tiny iPhone or iPad screen. With the right display technology this is a no-brainer. I want one.

Could you imagine a movie with a sky-diving scene or someone falling out of a plane... while you're on a plane? Talk about messing with the mind, and nerves! hahaha!

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Olympus made this as a demo product in the 80's and SONY actually has a real product in the market now which has been on my wish list.

Guess this was just a message to Google Glass group.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.