Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I've found that some games that have not been optimized for the larger screen look perfectly fine on the Pro.

Reactions: Nausicaa

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
So the Facebook Messenger app is optimized but the regular Facebook app isn't still. With as many updates Facebook gets on a regular basis, I have no idea what is taking them so long.

Reactions: FasterQuieter

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
So the Facebook Messenger app is optimized but the regular Facebook app isn't still. With as many updates Facebook gets on a regular basis, I have no idea what is taking them so long.

Agreed. Also, unoptimized Dropbox really annoys me everytime i use it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Agreed. Also, unoptimized Dropbox really annoys me everytime i use it.

Yeah, I'm surprise that Dropbox hasn't updated their app. They even had Eddy Cue for their conference recently focusing on productivity with talks about the iPad Pro... And yet, there's no optimization for it.

OneDrive annoys me as well.. since their Office apps has seen an optimization. To combat the storage apps not seeing an update toward the iPad Pro I've been using FileBrowser.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Note taking apps that actually use the Pencil correctly (not just as a dumb stylus):
  • Notability
  • GoodNotes
  • Paper (by 53)
  • LiquidText

Note taking apps that DO NOT use the Pencil correctly but have been updated to work on the iPad Pro properly:
  • PDF Expert

Note taking apps that are giving the iPP the middle finger (i.e. no update at all):
  • Notes Plus
  • iAnnotate PDF

Note: I am defining "using the Pencil correctly" here as recognizing the Apple Pencil and utilizing at least one advanced feature of it (e.g. pressure sensitivity, tilt-sensitivity, etc.).

Note2: I personally own all of the above apps and have tried them personally.

Reactions: ckeck

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
It's nice that even Apple hasn't yet optimized all their iPad apps like the Logic Pro Remote

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
Well, today another Thursday came and went, another day without any relevant optimized apps added to the App Store. I was thinking that as Thursday is the day that the store gets its weekly refresh, that maybe something would happen, but again nothing.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
At the moment I would love to see updates for:

Omnifocus - Better use of space
Spark - iPad Version
ESPN
Facebook

maybe something new that becomes interesting due to the added size

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Note taking apps that actually use the Pencil correctly (not just as a dumb stylus):
  • Notability
  • GoodNotes
  • Paper (by 53)
  • LiquidText

Note taking apps that DO NOT use the Pencil correctly but have been updated to work on the iPad Pro properly:
  • PDF Expert

Note taking apps that are giving the iPP the middle finger (i.e. no update at all):
  • Notes Plus
  • iAnnotate PDF

Note: I am defining "using the Pencil correctly" here as recognizing the Apple Pencil and utilizing at least one advanced feature of it (e.g. pressure sensitivity, tilt-sensitivity, etc.).

Note2: I personally own all of the above apps and have tried them personally.
any specific app in the notes section that i should start taking everything down in?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
any specific app in the notes section that i should start taking everything down in?

I currently prefer Notability. It's a solid app and I like the way my handwriting looks in it. It doesn't have a bunch of "junk" that gets in the way and it is perfect with the Pencil (absolutely no lag and the pressure readings are subtle and continuous).

Another thing Notability haas going for it is that there is a Desktop version in the Mac App store... that has pretty much instant sync with the iPad app (using iCloud). This is a huge bonus for me.

GoodNotes is a good alternative with a few nice features. It has a "shape" tool that is handy for when you really need to draw straight lines quickly (think graph axes in a math/science class). It also claims to have handwriting recognition support so that you can search your handwritten notes. In my testing it really didn't do very well at that... so I wouldn't let that sway me one way or the other.

It also has a Desktop App counterpart in the Mac App store... but I haven't tried it so I can't comment on how well the two sync.

I think that you can't really go wrong with either one of those choices...

Reactions: macaximx and Fthree

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

So you can see what Notability looks like with the Pencil... here are some of my class notes from the other day...

(Note: the terrible handwriting is my fault, not Notability's! That's what my handwriting looks like on paper too!)

image.png

Reactions: ckeck and Fthree

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
Dropbox is now optimised.

Although still no multi tasking available (so pro-optimised but not ios9)

archagon

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
If anyone's interested, I just released an iPad app for sketching out musical ideas called Composer's Sketchpad. The full iPad Pro screen size is used and Apple Pencil is supported! (Unfortunately, I had to disable multitasking for the time being, but it should be coming in an update or two.)

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
oh my, what kind of alien language is that

Haha! It's thermal hydraulics in a graduate level nuclear engineering course at MIT ;-)

Honestly... it's much more recognizable than my notes from my quantum mechanics courses :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.