Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I 'm not talking about cosmetics, I'm talking about bugs that make you wish you'd waited until .1 or .2

TIA

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Yosemite hasn't changed much like Mavericks did so most things that worked in Maverick work in Yosemite. The only thing I know it broke is fan control softwares (many of them have updated though) and I think kindle app has broken. Yosemite is mostly UI changes; Mavericks had a lot of core changes.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It's OK so far. But I do notice many UI glitches and inconsistencies, shockingly many for a release with an open beta. Some of my apps are bugged as well, so I hope to see speedy updates.

But the new Safari is so worth it. It's smooth and insanely fast. I never thought this thing could become any faster, but the increase is noticeable.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Yosemite hasn't changed much like Mavericks did so most things that worked in Maverick work in Yosemite. The only thing I know it broke is fan control softwares (many of them have updated though) and I think kindle app has broken. Yosemite is mostly UI changes; Mavericks had a lot of core changes.

Great. I loved the upgrade to Mavericks.

----------

But the new Safari is so worth it. It's smooth and insanely fast. I never thought this thing could become any faster, but the increase is noticeable.

That's enough for me. Thanks.
:cool:

Oli20

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Mitten
I 'm not talking about cosmetics, I'm talking about bugs that make you wish you'd waited until .1 or .2

TIA

I upgraded last night and have been using it since. I have noticed a few things, the fans seem like they want to run a little more and a few random glitches but nothing making me want to go back. All things that are easily livable until .1 drops.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Given I've been on the DP GM for a while, the update didn't do much, including fix the runaway memory leak in Mail that I have (on two different machines).

Other than that, I think it's a great upgrade, especially if you have a number of devices - continuity and handoff are likely going to be things that we'll wonder why they didn't exist years ago, taking it for granted. It's a huge thing to be able to move from device to device, without having to start from scratch on whatever you're working on.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008

TIA

You are a rare kind here. Cautious and asking questions, withholding the upgrade. Wise choice!

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Actually I'm just the opposite. I thought I would regret it but now I don't. So far I actually like it. Not crazy about the dock or the font but getting used to it. Safari is so much better it's not even close. I had continual issues with Safari in Mavericks but so far the new one is working great.

Going though the Yosemite deck right now and trying everything out. Can't get markup to work so far but other than that I'm surprised I like it.

I have an late 2011 MBP and that font is not great but am getting used to it already. Only been two hours.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Everything is a little too bright. Did they change the color white for finder windows? Seems brighter.

kopite19

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
My bluetooth speaker pops and crackles now when streaming. This was not an issue on Mavericks, so yes, I wish I'd waited now.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Nope. My iMac (late 2013) is performing even better than it did with Mavericks (and Mavericks ran great, just Yosemite runs flawlessly), all of my apps work and there is not a single frame rate drop in any system animation anyway :D

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Orientation

With emphasis:

I 'm not talking about cosmetics

… UI glitches and inconsistencies …

Maybe those are discussed in the OS X Yosemite (10.10) Bug Thread.

… about the dock or the font …

(Cosmetics?)

Everything is a little too bright. Did they change the color white for finder windows? Seems brighter.

For Freyqq, and for readers who find the system font in Yosemite less legible than the font in Mavericks:

Yosemite hard to look at?

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Firstly, on my brand new rMacBook Pro I have experienced significant ui animation lag. Secondly, spotlight seems to me to be broken. It doesn't work at all like I've been used to for the last several years. I have to now totally change my habits and workflow to accommodate this change.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Firstly, on my brand new rMacBook Pro I have experienced significant ui animation lag. Secondly, spotlight seems to me to be broken. It doesn't work at all like I've been used to for the last several years. I have to now totally change my habits and workflow to accommodate this change.

what's wrong with spotlight? it even made me uninstall alfred lol.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Oh no. You did NOT just play the "Safari seems snappier" card, did you?

:D

Glockcubed

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
Nope. My iMac (late 2013) is performing even better than it did with Mavericks (and Mavericks ran great, just Yosemite runs flawlessly), all of my apps work and there is not a single frame rate drop in any system animation anyway :D

I am not having any problems at all with my maxed out late 2013 iMac. I am very satisfied, I think it is performing better.:)

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
My Late 2008 is running better with Yosemite, than when I am using Mavericks... both fresh install.

I believe that Mavericks is change from the core up compare to Yosemite they just change the UI and some improvement over Mavericks. So it is more like moving form Lion to Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion fix all the Lion bugs and problems.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
I'm pretty happy with the upgrade. The only sad thing is that the audio drivers for my external soundcard causes a kernel crash. I'm patiently waiting for them to roll out some new 10.10 drivers :D

Inked

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Buckinghamshire, UK
I'm happy with the upgrade overall, but not so happy that wake on wifi has been broken again so having to leave the iMac set to never sleep.

Had been broken in Lion and M. Lion, and finally fixed in Mavericks so disappointing to find it screwed up again.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

Interesting. I also have a brand new rMBP. (I picked it up on Thursday as an AppleCare replacement for my mid '12). Spotlight works perfectly and
all animations are smooth and fast. In fact there is something I have noticed. No beach balls.

It was not a clean install, but a clone from my old rMBP that was subsequently upgraded.

dannyg86

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
Indeed. Why did you not spot them and report them during the open beta period?

There are a substantial amount of bugs that were reported and validated ( confirmed to be bugs by Apple ) during the beta period that Apple decided they didn't want to, or couldn't fix prior to releasing the public version.

The bugs ranged from minor to severe (display issues with multiple monitors is one that springs to mind), so it wouldn't necessarily have mattered, if he did or did't report them. All comes down to if Apple want to fix it, and when they want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.