Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Im with you. I've got some pictures of my cat that EVERYONE needs to see. About 20 times. Each.

LMAO! :D

Anyone else like how AT&T used a First GEN iphone in their picture to announce the MMS update on "3g and 3gs"

HAHA.. so funny

:apple:

That is because if you read the fine print, it says MMS will only be enabled for people with a first gen iPhone. :D

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Question is....will it be a carrier update or 3.1? Also, for all of us that have screwed with carrier file 5.0, will this affect us since we have been screwing with the settings for months.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
so MMS is only available on the iPhone 3G and 3GS... yet AT&T publicise this with a shot of the iPhone 2G? Well done

Nice catch.

FU AT&T!!!

The very day Verizon gets the iPhone my AT&T account will be closed! We have all been jerked around way too much.

What about tethering? Still available on their crap phones but not iPhone!

FU AT&T!!!!!

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Rather have Tethering

MMS, okay nice to have. But tethering would be really useful. Hell, if MMS was going to bring the network down I suppose tethering would nuke it.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
[sarcastic applause]Bravo! Bravo![/sarcastic applause]

Geez, my moms 2004 LG free flip phone (with Cingular branding) has this.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I agree

Im with you. I've got some pictures of my cat that EVERYONE needs to see. About 20 times. Each.

I totally agree...it's time to make AT&T EARN all those fees that they've been collecting from us for months.

Prediction: Article on Macrumors that day reporting that iPhone MMS usage brings AT&T network to its knees. lol. :)

jameskk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
South Carolina
so basically the crap they told us back in June about having to manually go through all accounts and enable MMS was BS!!!!! I knew it!!!

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
What is the big deal about MMS?

I email photos all the time and they look great. MMS is just low quality images. Why does everyone have their panties in a bunch over this ancient functionality that is out of date by 4 years?

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I totally agree...it's time to make AT&T EARN all those fees that they've been collecting from us for months.

Prediction: Article on Macrumors that day reporting that iPhone MMS usage brings AT&T network to its knees. lol. :)

I've got an unlimited texting plan. And Im going to use them ALL.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love it when a company that does it's job is suddenly big news and a great sigh of relief is heard worldwide.

Wait, worldwide? No sorry, it was just the US that suffered from carrier incompetence!

asb396

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Now the class action suit against AT&T has some verity as summer ends September 22.*This is false advertising at it's best.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Most people thought 'late summer' would be around 8/25 not 9/25.

AT&T has failed completely.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Ugh. Not only do I not want MMS, I'm actually dreading this because I fear what it will do to AT&T's already pathetic 3G speeds (getting under 400 kbps in downtown Boston). I know they get a ton of crap for not having MMS, but network speed is about 100x more important.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Question is....will it be a carrier update or 3.1? Also, for all of us that have screwed with carrier file 5.0, will this affect us since we have been screwing with the settings for months.

I am 100% certain that we will find out when it is released. As far as before then, it doesn't matter because it doesn't affect you yet.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ugh. Not only do I not want MMs, I'm actually dreading this because I fear what it will do to AT&T's already pathetic 3G speeds (getting under 400 kbps in downtown Boston). I know they get a ton of crap for not having MMS, but network speed is about 100x more important.

I want MMs. FWIW, peanut.

I hope their network can handle the volume. One iPhone user will send a lot more of these MMS messages than a person using a regular phone.

How do you figure? I tend to send more e-mails with photos than I ever sent MMSs on any phone. '

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
uuuh, because it's too fuggin slow.

That's actually not the reason. Remember, even the cheapest crappy phone was able to do MMS for years, long before 3G. It has to do with the fact that (1) sending messaging on iPhone is not a full background process, (2) earlier iPhone users get "free" 200 messages and AT&T probably doesn't want those 200 to be MMS, and (3) Apple wants earlier iPhone users to upgrade.

At the very least, earlier iPhones should be capable of receiving MMS, instead of stupid SMS that opens AT&T MMS viewer website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.