Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
That's IF the FAN discount includes waived activation. Not all FAN accounts do.

Mine is U.S. Postal. They usually tell me that "We will waive it as a one-time deal. On my 5S, they only waived $25. Oh well, we get some other perks like 50% all accessories, non Apple. That sure comes in handy.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Mine is U.S. Postal. They usually tell me that "We will waive it as a one-time deal. On my 5S, they only waived $25. Oh well, we get some other perks like 50% all accessories, non Apple. That sure comes in handy.

Just check you FAN page. Every FAN account has it's own page that lists what perks that account has. If the benefit is listed there, they'll honor it. If not, they won't.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
After talking with AT&T on chat for almost 40 mins. I finally got a fee waived.
But it wasn't easy.
The first representative told me she can't waive for me. And I kept begging her and told her that $40 is a very big deal for college student.
So she transferred me to another representative. The 2nd person wasn't nice much (as she knew she will cancel the fee for me).
I talked with her for 20-30 mins, and finally she will credit $40 fee on my next bill.

Keep trying guys. You can do it!

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Quick question. What is a FAN discount ? My wife and Zi get a "corporate" discount on our family plan and have been with AT&T for over 4 years and have never been late on a payment.
Thanks

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
After talking with AT&T on chat for almost 40 mins. I finally got a fee waived.
But it wasn't easy.
The first representative told me she can't waive for me. And I kept begging her and told her that $40 is a very big deal for college student.
So she transferred me to another representative. The 2nd person wasn't nice much (as she knew she will cancel the fee for me).
I talked with her for 20-30 mins, and finally she will credit $40 fee on my next bill.

Keep trying guys. You can do it!

Good going!!

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So is it safe to say that I could also try to have the $40 fee waived on both of our lines ? We will be getting 2 6plus iPhones.
Thanks

If that is one of the benefits of YOUR program, yes.

Not everyone gets the same benefits.

If you log into your FAN page (you get a link when you first register for the program) there is a section that lists what benefits you get.

If you don't have a link, dial 611 on your cellphone and ask.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I tried.. but alas my FAN discount doesn't include waived activation. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the idea though OP.

I would keep trying if I were you. From what I have read, it takes multiple calls till you end up with a rep that is more than wiling to give you this discount.
If you don't succeed, you must try and try again ........

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Just go my fee waived. It's not part of my FAN discount but I just asked if they were allowed to do anything for a loyal customer and they waived without a flinch.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
Just check you FAN page. Every FAN account has it's own page that lists what perks that account has. If the benefit is listed there, they'll honor it. If not, they won't.

It says Activation fee waived, which is not the upgrade fee of course. They still have done it for me every year, until just recently. At that time they lowered it to $15.

Oh well, I just ordered my Otterbox iPhone 6 case for $25 from AT&T, so I shouldn't complain.

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
They noted the waiver in the notes of my account. I can call or do an internet chat with them once the fee hits to get the credit.

Might be worth trying now before they start getting inundated with waiver requests in a few weeks and aren't feeling as generous.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Wow, that was easy. I pasted your issue text and the first thing the chat rep (Maya) said to me was, "Hi Chase. I understand your concern about upgrade fee. The charge reflects online but since your employee discount provides a standard upgrade fee waiver, rest assured that your next bill statement will show a credit for the said charge."

Thanks!

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Thank you for the reminder. Waived mine as well for two lines.

As someone else said its crazy that if your FAN has this as a perk, they won't automatically do it unless you call yourself

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
i was on chat for almost an hour.

first she said no, eventually relented and gave me a $25 credit.

guess it's better than nothing.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Is this a page on the AT&T site somewhere? I don't know where to look for ours. :-(

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
Is this a page on the AT&T site somewhere? I don't know where to look for ours. :-(

Depends on the company.

We have to use a portal with At&T. With Verizon we have to use our company email, then we are sent a link. I send the link to my home email, then I have 24 hours to click the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.