Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skresge

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2018
Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to successfully able to get AT&T to credit me for the $40 activation fee by an online CSR named Fernando that was very emoji happy.

I'm not sure how easy/difficult this is if you're not on a FAN account, but I didn't even know if my FAN waived the fee, but I went to their online chat and put my issue as:

"I recently pre-ordered an iPhone 6 and there was a mandatory item for a $40 One Time Upgrade Fee listed on the bill. I was under the impression that my FAN discount waived that fee."

The chat is posted in the screenshots below:

AT&T is horrible and very illegal. I have been dealing with a billing issue and lines being added to my account with out my express authorization for the last three months. It all started when I decided to add an Apple Watch to my account. Since the new Apple watch is on its own separate line I had to add a line to my account. ATT went ahead and added two lines, I then had to spend the next month getting them to fix their error and waive all the fees and usage charges associated with this line. I then decided to upgrade my iPhone doing to Apple making it very difficult to use the older iPhone 6 that I had. I was told that I could get a IPAD for only 99 since I was upgrading I agreed to do this. Once again when adding the additional line to my account for the IPAD ATT added two lines instead of one, and here I am fighting with them once again to get them to fix thier issue. I even attempted to talk to customer care on chat yesterday as I hate being on hold. I was transferred to a supervisor and then she ended the chat saying that I had to call in. This stuff is so illegal and I have to fight with them and waste my time to get them to fix their problems. I am honestly about to contact my lawyer.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
AT&T is horrible and very illegal. I have been dealing with a billing issue and lines being added to my account with out my express authorization for the last three months. It all started when I decided to add an Apple Watch to my account. Since the new Apple watch is on its own separate line I had to add a line to my account. ATT went ahead and added two lines, I then had to spend the next month getting them to fix their error and waive all the fees and usage charges associated with this line. I then decided to upgrade my iPhone doing to Apple making it very difficult to use the older iPhone 6 that I had. I was told that I could get a IPAD for only 99 since I was upgrading I agreed to do this. Once again when adding the additional line to my account for the IPAD ATT added two lines instead of one, and here I am fighting with them once again to get them to fix thier issue. I even attempted to talk to customer care on chat yesterday as I hate being on hold. I was transferred to a supervisor and then she ended the chat saying that I had to call in. This stuff is so illegal and I have to fight with them and waste my time to get them to fix their problems. I am honestly about to contact my lawyer.
As frustrating as your post reads, nothing written in your post highlights anything illegal. It does however, highlight what appears to be bad communication (with either party) or ineptness on the part of the various customer service representatives you spoke with. That is far different than a company knowingly acting in an illegal manner to defraud you.

AT&T is not "illegal." You should learn the definition and correct usage of the terms you use.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Jeez, this thread came back from the dead, but why would you pay an activation fee to AT&T? That just seems stupid. Even in 2014, the on-contract upgrades were long gone.

Virtually any phone you'd have now would have a Micro SIM that works with LTE and VoLTE, just take it out and put it in the iPhone, the back-end and thus OLAM will update based on the IMEI, and provision you for IMS for the iPhone. I used to SIM swap between an iPhone and a Android phone, it worked fine, other than text conversations getting cut up. How do you even have to pay an activation fee? I bought my last phone from Best Buy, and it was an AT&T branded Android phone, but I'm pretty sure there was no activation fee, I just swapped my SIM.

One of the nicest parts about the iPhone is that because Apple is Apple and carriers bend to their will, you just buy the phone directly from Apple with no carrier interference in the process, and put a SIM card in it, and everything will provision properly. There is one iPhone that works on all four major US carriers plus some smaller ones.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
ATT sucks! They’ve increased the unlimited plan 3 times already by $5
They’ve doubled their Administrative fee
Starting this month. And to top it off not every Unlimited customer will
get their TV service that they just started
ATT needs to look at who got them to where they are and stop Nickle and diming the customers

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
ATT sucks! They’ve increased the unlimited plan 3 times already by $5
They’ve doubled their Administrative fee
Starting this month. And to top it off not every Unlimited customer will
get their TV service that they just started
ATT needs to look at who got them to where they are and stop Nickle and diming the customers

ATT is no worst that the others. I have not paid an activation fee in years, just swap SIM cards.

If you do not like them, try another and you will see!

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Jeez, this thread came back from the dead, but why would you pay an activation fee to AT&T? That just seems stupid. Even in 2014, the on-contract upgrades were long gone.

Virtually any phone you'd have now would have a Micro SIM that works with LTE and VoLTE, just take it out and put it in the iPhone, the back-end and thus OLAM will update based on the IMEI, and provision you for IMS for the iPhone. I used to SIM swap between an iPhone and a Android phone, it worked fine, other than text conversations getting cut up. How do you even have to pay an activation fee? I bought my last phone from Best Buy, and it was an AT&T branded Android phone, but I'm pretty sure there was no activation fee, I just swapped my SIM.

One of the nicest parts about the iPhone is that because Apple is Apple and carriers bend to their will, you just buy the phone directly from Apple with no carrier interference in the process, and put a SIM card in it, and everything will provision properly. There is one iPhone that works on all four major US carriers plus some smaller ones.

If you add a line or get your phone through AT&T they will charge you an activation fee. They don’t have to do this. It’s just their way of making more money.

If you swap your swap your SIM card between an Android phone and an iPhone on AT&at, you need to call AT&T tech support and have them change codes on their end for all your phone features like LTE to work correctly. Just an FYI to anyone.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
If you add a line or get your phone through AT&T they will charge you an activation fee. They don’t have to do this. It’s just their way of making more money.

If you swap your swap your SIM card between an Android phone and an iPhone on AT&at, you need to call AT&T tech support and have them change codes on their end for all your phone features like LTE to work correctly. Just an FYI to anyone.

Yeah, if you add a line. But if you already have a line, you'd go to the Apple store, buy an iPhone, and then put the SIM in. AT&T does't really need to know or care what you bought or where your SIM card is until the IMEI registers with the network.

At the time, I was swapping between an iPhone 4s and a Moto G LTE, so the iPhone did not have LTE. It worked fine, zero issues, no need to call AT&T. I don't use their crappy voicemail service either, that's something that gets messed up a lot. I just have a conditional call forward for Google Voice to handle that, which provides far better service anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they've managed to goober up their system such that somehow stuff doesn't work entirely correctly switching between the two, even though, in theory, it should. Their system is so messed up with feature codes and plans and everything, it's unbelievable.

I didn't pay an activation fee either buying the Android phone through Best Buy, as I bought the AT&T version, but I didn't activate through Best Buy, I just put my SIM in. Considering that AT&T sells the inferior Intel iPhones, there is zero reason to buy an iPhone through AT&T versus just going to an Apple store, buying it SIM unlocked, and putting your SIM in it, since Apple forces the carriers to properly provision IMS, unlike Android phones, where it is a mess, and AT&T blocks most unlocked Android phones from VoLTE and VoWiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.