Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
TBH I'm not even supposed to be on the FAN I'm on anymore. It was added to my account when I was still a college student (FAN was through my University) - I graduated in 2008, I just haven't bothered to inform them that the FAN isn't technically applicable anymore. That being said - I genuinely had no idea whether my FAN included an upgrade fee waiver, but I knew that some did. I figured if I played the "I heard this thing somewhere and I thought I was supposed to get it based on that thing I have, why didn't I get it?" tactic that I'd still be able to pull a "well, could you do me a favor as a loyal customer and do it anyway?" if that didn't work.

Looks like I got lucky and got a CSR that was happy to credit the account without asking a lot of questions. Maybe it's because it was on my FAN account, or maybe it's just because Fernando likes making people happy.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
How could they waive something that is not charged yet? Just wait for days and try then. :p

My company does not get the Upgrade waived. I called and they offered me $20. I could have called back and tried for more, but took the $20.

I just checked and I have a $20 credit that's been applied to my account.

Cool.

RafaelPerez

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Wow, thanks everyone for this thread. I just checked on my University website and it shows that fees for new activations and upgrades are both waived with our FAN. Also, it shows that the monthly discount is 17% which is higher than what I have previously received. So I re-did the signup link and hopefully will see my monthly discount go up. But thanks again, now I can watch to see if the upgrade fee gets charged or waived automatically.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
TBH I'm not even supposed to be on the FAN I'm on anymore. It was added to my account when I was still a college student (FAN was through my University) - I graduated in 2008, I just haven't bothered to inform them that the FAN isn't technically applicable anymore. That being said - I genuinely had no idea whether my FAN included an upgrade fee waiver, but I knew that some did. I figured if I played the "I heard this thing somewhere and I thought I was supposed to get it based on that thing I have, why didn't I get it?" tactic that I'd still be able to pull a "well, could you do me a favor as a loyal customer and do it anyway?" if that didn't work.

Looks like I got lucky and got a CSR that was happy to credit the account without asking a lot of questions. Maybe it's because it was on my FAN account, or maybe it's just because Fernando likes making people happy.
Sorry to everyone for quoting your entire post, but I loved the subtle humor in it and couldn't resist quoting it all.

So as to not make my reply totally useless, I'll ask a question: Did you speak to a CSR over the phone or do it via online chat?

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Sorry to everyone for quoting your entire post, but I loved the subtle humor in it and couldn't resist quoting it all.

So as to not make my reply totally useless, I'll ask a question: Did you speak to a CSR over the phone or do it via online chat?

It was via online chat. The chat transcripts are posted as screenshots in the first post if you'd like to give them a read.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW

Thanks for the tip, it worked for me over the phone even if my FAN didn't allow to get it waived. :)

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
My FAN account does not waive upgrade fee only activation fee but I was still able to get it waived:)

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Talked with a rep through chat who agreed to waive the upgrade fee and this is supposedly noted on my account, but apparently can't be done until I'm billed for it so I'll need to chat with a rep again and tell them I'm owed a credit and how it's noted on my account. Sounds like a bunch of ******** but we'll see.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
AT&T Upgrade Fee Waived (FAN)

I understand that I don't have FAN, so that might by why at&t chat rep didn't want to waive the 2x$40 for me.

Any tips to get it waived? I even tried to be nice but that didn't help at all...

Edit: never mind, got 1 waived :)

Last edited:

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
Interesting. Looks like they waived the upgrade fee before it hit for me. My account was noted and they also sent me a text confirmation...

AT&T Free Msg: Hi Adam! We have successfully waived the pending upgrade fee. Rest assured that there wont be additional of $40 on your account.

Bet you the fee will hit and I'll have to follow back up to get it waived. We shall see.

Talked with a rep through chat who agreed to waive the upgrade fee and this is supposedly noted on my account, but apparently can't be done until I'm billed for it so I'll need to chat with a rep again and tell them I'm owed a credit and how it's noted on my account. Sounds like a bunch of ******** but we'll see.

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Interesting. Looks like they waived the upgrade fee before it hit for me. My account was noted and they also sent me a text confirmation...

AT&T Free Msg: Hi Adam! We have successfully waived the pending upgrade fee. Rest assured that there wont be additional of $40 on your account.

Bet you the fee will hit and I'll have to follow back up to get it waived. We shall see.

Hmm interesting. That's what annoys me about AT&T "customer service" it all depends on who you talk to. The person I spoke with made it seem impossible to waive the fee before it shows on the bill or even credit in advance, which is ********. You at the very least have a real confirmation of the fee being waive, even if it pops up on your next bill...so that's good.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
Yep, I wouldn't drop off the chat until they sent me a confirm. I asked for an email confirm, but apparently the chat can only send text confirms. I'll take it and as long as they notated my account, I am good to go.

Hmm interesting. That's what annoys me about AT&T "customer service" it all depends on who you talk to. The person I spoke with made it seem impossible to waive the fee before it shows on the bill or even credit in advance, which is ********. You at the very least have a real confirmation of the fee being waive, even if it pops up on your next bill...so that's good.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014

I only got a $20 credit, half of the fee removed, but I got an instant credit that shows up on my account right now.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Pretty easy. Thanks OP.

fWpZ6WX.png

jchiou

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Haha, so I tried and the CSR totally sucks...trying again soon with another rep...ugh

Oh and i just noticed she thought I was trying to waive the activation fee..doh! Guess I'll try again later.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 1.17.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 1.17.56 PM.png
    71 KB · Views: 227

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Got mine waived.

The easiest way is to chat them up. I used to work as a CSR many many moons ago. The number of idiots you come across every day blaming you for being an inadequate human being due to "X" is very high. CSRs love to go the distance for non-entitled down to earth people because they are so very rare.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Got mine waived.

The easiest way is to chat them up. I used to work as a CSR many many moons ago. The number of idiots you come across every day blaming you for being an inadequate human being due to "X" is very high. CSRs love to go the distance for non-entitled down to earth people because they are so very rare.

Can't emphasize this enough. The CSR's have had a rough 3 or 4 days. Even if you feel that $40 is not justified; stay calm, speak clearly and be very polite. If the first person does not budge, still be calm and polite - hangup and call again to get another person. Better chance of starting with another CSR with a clean slate than trying to win an argument with one who doesn't want to give you what you want.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI

Same thing happened with me. I have the conversation screenshotted if they try to go back on their word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.