Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boghog

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
I think there is already a thriving market - even my office hands out copper mesh lined credit card envelops for our company travel cards!

Personally, I use a HuMn wallet with my cards sandwiched between the two plates. Fairly expensive but a great minimalist wallet.
The key is to have NFC on a device with TouchID where NFC is only turned on when expressly authorised by the legitimate owner. THAT will change the game.

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
Which makes no difference at all. Instead of scanning the transaction at the POS terminal they just scan the cell phone communications. A bit more difficult maybe but difficult has never stopped criminals. For that you need a short rope and a tall tree.

Nothign you suggest stops criminal from capturing your credit card number. Attack vectors change but that doesn't mean you are secure.
Did you miss my earlier post? Who says you have to transmit credit card numbers over cellular? Or even transmit credit card numbers AT ALL?

It is completely possible that Apple will come up with a new system. I just think your obsession with security is nonsense.
Where did I come across as being obsessed? I'm just pointing out that people shouldn't assume Apple is going to keep going along the same as all other payment systems (you passing information to the stores POS terminal).

Apple has the largest number of credit card accounts on file of any company in the world. They can leverage that to make their own payment system. There's no benefit for Apple to "tack on" a NEW payment method on top of EXISTING systems. There's no benefit for them. Doing their own system means they can charge processing fees just like Moneris and all the other processors do. And they can very likely charge lower fees due to their enormous customer base.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Well it is. LTE is just faster data connection. If Apple came out with a payments system that only worked on the iPhone 6, adoption would be incredibly slow, it would take years to go mainstream.

Bluetooth LE can do everything NFC can and more (and it's in 10's of millions of iPhones already!). Even Android 4.3 has BT LE. NFC is a dead end.

Well, NFC supports passive (unpowered) uses while Bluetooth does not... And Bluetooth does pretty much everything else at least as well or better.

That makes NFC a niche product... not something you'd want to put in a general-purpose phone.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, if NFC is un-powered, then why not use it ?

This way, battery life can improve, since you know Bluetooth LE, will have more range of services to connect to/multiple apps etc... down the line..

However. i would assume never liked NFC, why exclude it when its available on Android ?

Bluetooth is only popular now, because all other devices connect using it... and it just "makes sense"

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I honestly don't see how 802.11ac can be all that useful on a mobile device such as this. It's not as if most folks are transferring large files where 802.11n threshold is being reached.

I'm legitimately curious, what do you do on your phone that has you excited for this new standard? Maybe you're excited for the increase in range?

Can't really say, but we use iPhones mounted in walls to stream multiple security feeds. The larger screen plus additional throughput will be great.

kdarling

macrumors P6
A few notes:

• MC, Visa, AMEX are all enforcing a move to NFC capable EMV (chip&pin) cards in the USA within the next year or two.

• Because of that, stores (including Apple) are updating their point of sale systems with hardware that supports NFC.

• Rumors say Apple has made a deal with a major China payment company to support NFC.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
802.11ac would be only good on a phone because routers now have ac if would basically mean "you need to upgrade your other devices just to use this other thing you don't really care about"

Its good we have it, but how many people will be seriously replacing their non-AC routers with AC routers just to use it part of their iPhone 6 ??

Not me.... if it works, why fix it? and when it breaks, well,, the market will judge that.. But i have i 5s, there is no reason i should get a 6 just for that alone, even if my 5s breaks, as long as i can still get one.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Irrelevant. The point is I have to give my card number to the "store" where it could be captured any number of ways. Here in Vancouver organized criminals actually modified POS terminals to capture card data. They still worked normally, except for the recording of cards.

There's no reason for me to expose myself by giving this information to the "store". Which is why I think Apple will reverse things and make the iPhone the POS terminal. No more card data will be transferred.

Criminals also modify POS terminals here in Quebec. But the only place where that works is when terminals are simply wired because they are loose. The way to fix this is to fix your terminals to the counter.

Only the cheapest merchants don't fix them. I've worked for one and the proprietary was one of the cheapest jerks on Earth. It doesn't cost a lot to fix terminals on counters and it enhances the trust relationship with customers like nothing else.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Wow, how ignorant are you?

Have a read of these links, then let's see if you're big enough to come back and admit you were commenting on something you knew nothing about.

What I described is real and happening.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=thieves+on+train+contactless+cards

Totally true, and I have a faraday wallet for this reason at supposedly blocks such theft attempts (whether it works or not I don't know but haven't had a false contactless transaction and been using a contactless card from Barclays for just over 2yrs now)

The scaremongering accusation poster is just ignorant and naive

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
What I described is real and happening.

It's not wide spread, it's not epidemic - it's pure paranoia perpetrated by the sellers of sleeves and wallets and backpacks ALL purporting your demise if you don't buy their products.

Paranoia - just look at the number of posters who have been duped into buying useless products. These products are a solution looking for a problem.

----------

Totally true ... I have a faraday wallet ... whether it works or not I don't know...

Talk about naive.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
It's not wide spread, it's not epidemic - it's pure paranoia perpetrated by the sellers of sleeves and wallets and backpacks ALL purporting your demise if you don't buy their products.

Paranoia - just look at the number of posters who have been duped into buying useless products. These products are a solution looking for a problem.

----------

Talk about naive.

As to how ignorant you are?

I think you just answered that, so thanks

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I think there is already a thriving market - even my office hands out copper mesh lined credit card envelops for our company travel cards!

Personally, I use a HuMn wallet with my cards sandwiched between the two plates. Fairly expensive but a great minimalist wallet.

WHOA ... can you believe this?

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
A few notes:

• MC, Visa, AMEX are all enforcing a move to NFC capable EMV (chip&pin) cards in the USA within the next year or two.

• Because of that, stores (including Apple) are updating their point of sale systems with hardware that supports NFC.

• Rumors say Apple has made a deal with a major China payment company to support NFC.

We've had chip and pin in Canada for many many years, it really is handy. I had no idea it was NFC though :)

Most of the new cards now are also tap and go (I think Visa calls it PayWave), is this also NFC or something different?

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
A few notes:

You're correct. It's actually by Oct 2015.

"Beginning in October 2015, merchants who have not upgraded to EMV-compliant point-of-sale (POS) terminals, will be liable for the full amount of any fraud losses incurred at their stores. That requirement is, of course, a big part of the push towards adoption of EMV (also known as chip-and-PIN) cards that the credit card networks have undertaken. And there is a good reason for it: EMV cards are much more secure than the magnetic-stripe-based ones that we have here in the States." http://blog.unibulmerchantservices.com/emv-nfc-mobile-wallets-and-credit-card-fraud-liability/

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
You are overlooking some things.
Yes, those speeds are faster then internet. However, those speeds are not faster then a local network. In addition, handoff and continuity use an adhoc network, bypassing the router and local network. Thus, between devices using ac would prove high speed experience. Seamless transfer. Think of the same using gaming between an iPad and new ATV. Over current iteration of airplay.

Sorry i am not convinced, for the examples you stated the current n standard is way more than enough, no real benefits from ac.

kdarling

macrumors P6
We've had chip and pin in Canada for many many years, it really is handy. I had no idea it was NFC though :)

EMV and Paypass payments use different technologies. What I meant was that most of the POS terminals being upgraded for EMV also support NFC.

EDIT: This is still worded badly. I was right the first time, but it's complicated by different cards. I will post more at the end of the thread.

Last edited:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Yes, because Thunderbolt has been such a game changer. :rolleyes:

Did you forget about firewire? Another bust.

Because the average consumer has USB 2.0/3.0. They have no need for Thunderbolt mice or keyboards.

Thunderbolt/ Firewire Pros / USB 2.0-3.0 consumers.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
If there is one thing we have learned, Apple would make it thinner rather than make the battery larger ...
And isn't that great? I love how thin and light computers have become since Apple is the driving force behind hardware development. Look at Microsoft, they still try to sell Tablets with USB ports. Funny how everyone fails to abandon obsolete technologies. Complain as much as you want, the space inside the phone is still more valuable than what NFC has to offer.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
OK like what? Internet speeds for most people aren't even close to that, also iPhone's nand flash isn't even capable of ac speeds.

So?

Usually your WiFi is not operating anywhere near the theoretical maximum speed, unless you are constantly sitting next to your router. If there are one or two walls in between, 802.11n connection speed quickly drops below that of a fast internet connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.