Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Agreed. I now keep my cards inside a metal mesh inside my wallet. NFC is the last thing I want. Chip and PIN does just fine for me.

You can't assume that Apple will use NFC innthe same way it currently is used.
----------
Don't use NFC

Or don't turn it on until needed.
----------
Considering all the security problems with NFC that's the last thing I want near my phone.

It isn't a huge problem if it isn't activated. This can easily be addressed by Apple with Touch ID. Just because one company does so,etching stupid with MFC does not imply that Apple will.

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
OK like what? Internet speeds for most people aren't even close to that, also iPhone's nand flash isn't even capable of ac speeds.

So?

You are overlooking some things.
Yes, those speeds are faster then internet. However, those speeds are not faster then a local network. In addition, handoff and continuity use an adhoc network, bypassing the router and local network. Thus, between devices using ac would prove high speed experience. Seamless transfer. Think of the same using gaming between an iPad and new ATV. Over current iteration of airplay.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Because it takes up valuable space inside the phone that otherwise could be used for – I don't know ...
... a bigger battery? :rolleyes:

Why do you look at battery stats in the first place? That is Apples job to do. Or do you wanna be a left alone in the dark Android user, who has to manage his phone all by himself? What a pity! I hope you know your way around Android viruses, because that's gonna be the bigger obstacle to mobile payments for you. :mad:

You are such a troll... More android fud from someone who knows nothing about it..

If there is one thing we have learned , Apple would make it thinner rather than make the battery larger...

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
tell me one grocery store in germany that lets you pay with a credit card. cant think of a single one.

REWE - Germany wide; KaDeWe in Berlin - need more.

I use my credit card all the time in Germany - yeah, small mom and pop stores and restaurants don't take but acceptance is everywhere.

You must spend more time in Spain, than you do in Germany.

Last edited:

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I'm calling BS. Again. There's no way there's NFC in this new iPhone b/c if there was, it would be used as a mobile payment system which in turn would've been announced & shown off at WWDC... No ??

I think they'll integrate the existing LE BT 4.0 w/ Airdrop as some sort of mobile payment system. That way if no one purchases the new phones, people w/ a 4S & up can still make mobile payments. More phones capable= higher adoption rate

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
In the UK, our debit cards now have "contactless" technology.

What that means is that if you have a contactless card and buy something in a shop that has a contactless reader, all you have to do is place the card on top of the reader and voila, you've paid.

There's a maximum amount of £20, but the issue is the thieves already have "skimmers" on their phones that work in the same way, but what they do is hold it close to the back pockets of guys in a packed tube train (because that's where guys invariably have their wallets).

All of a sudden, you've just bought £19.99 worth of nothing, without even knowing about it.

The crooks are raking it in, so the idea behind any "contactless" forms of payment still needs work.

ABSOLUTE scaremongering.

AppleFan78

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
Addition of NFC => Admission of withholding features from 5/5S by intent or mistake..

No different than Apple holding out with LTE for the iPhone. When the proper chipsets are mature and ready, Apple will utilize a technology. Apple has NEVER (that I know of) thrown a new technology into something for the sake of having it, unless they also announce some new, great reason why they're diving in head first (Thunderbolt).

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
You are going to notice little to no difference having 802.11ac in your phone. There is nothing you are doing on your phone, that requires the kind of speeds 802.11ac can provide.

Not entirely true. If you have a router that supports it, he can benefit from beamforming and other technologies.

iSage

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
No different than Apple holding out with LTE for the iPhone. When the proper chipsets are mature and ready, Apple will utilize a technology. Apple has NEVER (that I know of) thrown a new technology into something for the sake of having it, unless they also announce some new, great reason why they're diving in head first (Thunderbolt).

Well it is. LTE is just faster data connection. If Apple came out with a payments system that only worked on the iPhone 6, adoption would be incredibly slow, it would take years to go mainstream.

Bluetooth LE can do everything NFC can and more (and it's in 10's of millions of iPhones already!). Even Android 4.3 has BT LE. NFC is a dead end.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Dream bigger.

NFC + iBeacon = Finding your seat in a stadium or a theatre. Using your phone to unlock doors and turn on lights when you pull into your driveway.

Many uses for NFC+iBeacon.

That's just what we need, 70,000 people walking around a stadium looking for their seat.And another excuse for people to use their phones at a theater. :eek:

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Well it is. LTE is just faster data connection. If Apple came out with a payments system that only worked on the iPhone 6, adoption would be incredibly slow, it would take years to go mainstream.

Bluetooth LE can do everything NFC can and more (and it's in 10's of millions of iPhones already!). Even Android 4.3 has BT LE. NFC is a dead end.

BTLE requires batteries, NFC tags don't.

The Bluetooth Special Interest Group, the industry group that oversees the technology's standards, has officially put NFC into their standard to link their devices together.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
REWE - Germany wide; KaDeWe in Berlin - need more.

I use my credit card all the time in Germany - yeah, small mom and pop stores and restaurants don't take but acceptance is everywhere.

You must spend more time in Spain, than you do in Germany.

i guess we can agree to this:

"Card use in Germany also remains piddling by international standards. Last year, 56% of transactions in the U.K. and 45% of those in France were settled by card, compared with just 17% in Germany, according to data published last month by the European Central Bank. Indeed, Germany had the second-lowest card use of all EU countries, lower even than recent entrants to the club such as Bulgaria.
One explanation for the anomaly is a cultural aversion to debt. The German word for debt — as Friedrich Nietzsche noted — is the same as the word for guilt, and Germans are more likely than other nationalities to associate it with a loss of control."

so no, i dont see NFC being adopted by europe's "biggest" economy anytime soon

iSage

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
BTLE requires batteries, NFC tags don't.

The Bluetooth Special Interest Group, the industry group that oversees the technology's standards, has officially put NFC into their standard to link their devices together.

NFC tags are very limited in their use because you have to put your phone very close to it. BT LE lets your phone be location aware and has more potential real world uses, with richer more interactive experiences.

EDIT: for example, moving through a department store and having your phone show you whats in each section. NFC can't do that. BT LE can do payments, it can even do tap to pay.

Last edited:

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Which makes no difference at all. Instead of scanning the transaction at the POS terminal they just scan the cell phone communications. A bit more difficult maybe but difficult has never stopped criminals. For that you need a short rope and a tall tree.

Irrelevant. The point is I have to give my card number to the "store" where it could be captured any number of ways. Here in Vancouver organized criminals actually modified POS terminals to capture card data. They still worked normally, except for the recording of cards.
Nothign you suggest stops criminal from capturing your credit card number. Attack vectors change but that doesn't mean you are secure.
There's no reason for me to expose myself by giving this information to the "store". Which is why I think Apple will reverse things and make the iPhone the POS terminal. No more card data will be transferred.

It is completely possible that Apple will come up with a new system. I just think your obsession with security is nonsense.

----------

What you describe is an implementation issue, it is not a problem with NFC A technology itself.

I have worked on many NFC projects over the years. In short, there is a huge security issue with NFC that could be easily handled with the right hash table encryption. Problem is the houses that make the NFC tags are so damn cheap, they are not willing to design in the security circuitry and code in an NFC tag that eats in at a margin.

The market is currently uneducated on the security holes of ID theft via NFC. With the right wearable reader, you can "bump" into someone and scan their entire wallet fold with all their card data and charge it up. 'Til that is handled, we will not see any consumer implementation of NFC regulating it to verticals.

iSage

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
Maybe on the right track though. When buy stuff with your phone in an Apple store it goes through your iTunes account. Maybe Apple wants to do this for all retail. It would cut fees for shops and Apple would get a little from every transaction.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
With so many point of contact we would have otherwise done manually, we just use our phone for, thanks to iBeacon or NFC. what REALLY matters is "Will it be implemented with a real word reality" or will we be like "yes, we have it, now we'll think up of wacky things, even if it doesn't make sense. it will give it a WOW factor from everyone" and say "oh, i wish yyy phone did that."

lol..

Will see, but if I know Apple.... they'll go nuts without even thinking if it makes one ounce of sense first for everyone.....

That's what they did with TouchID,,,, its ow coming to ALL devices.. Talk about lack of options...

"Ya, i want a phone WITHOUT Touch ID...
answer: oh, sorry, we don't have one of those anymore...

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010

Yes, because Thunderbolt has been such a game changer. :rolleyes:

Did you forget about firewire? Another bust.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I'm calling BS. Again. There's no way there's NFC in this new iPhone b/c if there was, it would be used as a mobile payment system which in turn would've been announced & shown off at WWDC... No ??
Actually no! They have withheld information before at WWDC. At this point there has been no public announcement of mobile payments however that says nothing about it coming or not.
I think they'll integrate the existing LE BT 4.0 w/ Airdrop as some sort of mobile payment system. That way if no one purchases the new phones, people w/ a 4S & up can still make mobile payments. More phones capable= higher adoption rate

Any mobile payments system would have to be supported somehow at the retailers.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Actually no! They have withheld information before at WWDC. At this point there has been no public announcement of mobile payments however that says nothing about it coming or not.

I tried to think of some withheld info before i posted but couldn't. Can u name a few ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.