Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
We have "EC Cards" that use & pin and are accepted by most stores but unless its a very big international chain like Zara or H&M they dont accept credit cards. barely anyone i know has a credit card unless its a person who travels a lot.

Interesting!! Here in UK I can't remember last time I had more then £10 in my wallet! Chip & Pin have been so commonly used for payments here for quite few years.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
That's rather amazing..... When I lived in Frankfurt am Main 30 years ago I used to pay for lunch and all kinds of stuff with credit cards daily.

What happend?

Similar thing here in the UK. Most people believe: if you've got the money, you can pay for it with a debit card. If you don't, why are you buying it? Banks make it very easy here to get cards and get into debt.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
People who always post to say 'omg Android had it first' baffle me. Most people on Macrumors are pretty tech-savvy, is it really so hard to believe that most of us know the pros/cons of each OS and make our decisions? It's not just about buying a phone that has a feature first (unless that feature is integral to your life, etc).

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Banks here in NZ (we've had eftpos since the 80's) and Australia, are already using/trialing NFC. We're not quite the U.S but Apple is missing out here. Thee is a micro debit card you can use, but unless you stick it on you phone, it's not utilising the actual phone.

I can see NFC being a new feature on iPhone, why not?

I really like sharing files using nfc. Can't think of an easier way.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Can someone explain to me how NFC actually works please?

Imagine I'm in a cake shop, buying a nice little cake for £3... :D

When it's my turn to pay, do I have to get my phone out, unlock it and tap it against the card reader at the till?

If so, I'm not sure what advantage that has over getting my wallet out, getting my credit card out and tapping it against/putting it in the card reader.

Or is it that I have all my cards stored on the phone and I can select which one I'm going to pay with, thus meaning I don't actually need my wallet?

That's ok and sounds good, the only other thing (for ME personally), is that I put all my expense receipts in my wallet, as I'm self employed.

Other than that, if I've understood it concretely, I like the idea of ditching my wallet as I don't actually carry any cash in it, just cards & receipts.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Say whaaat? I thought you guys were all chip and pin & NFC over there. :p

Cash only eh?

I lived in Germany for ten years and visit about every other month. Compared to the Dutch, Germans are extremely paranoid about the way they make their payments or do their banking. Many of my German friends are afraid to do online banking because of a possible hacking event. In addition electronic payments are struggling to take hold. Only recently stores converted from paying by debit card and signature to requiring pin authentication. Indeed it is near to impossible to pay with credit card outside of major population centers. Go to a village in Germany and try to pay with anything other than cash and you have a problem. My mother in law walks around with several hundreds of Euros in cash because she is afraid she "leaves a digital trail".

The Netherlands is different. Here we are used to paying everything by debit card, even the tiniest purchases of only a few cents, and stores promote it as it reduces the risk of robberies. There are times when I don't have cash in my wallet for months. Credit cards are exotics here also, as there just isn't a culture of living in debt as there is in the US.

NFC will have (and actually is having) difficulties cathcing on in both countries. In Germany for the general paranoia about the internet and tracking of citizens. In the Netherlands for the convenience of the current payment options. To make it successful it needs broad support from regular retail banks in making regular debit cards NFC enabled first. Especially in Germany support from the banks is needed to sway customer opinion. Google or Apple implementing NFC will not work on its own as a driver of the technology.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You just don't find this kind of craftsmanship in Android phones. Really impressive. :apple:

It's a logic board. What craftsmanship??

Have you opened up android phones to compare?

----------

Interesting!! Here in UK I can't remember last time I had more then £10 in my wallet! Chip & Pin have been so commonly used for payments here for quite few years.

It's been running in the UK for 10 years. First introduced in 2004

----------

People who always post to say 'omg Android had it first' baffle me. Most people on Macrumors are pretty tech-savvy, is it really so hard to believe that most of us know the pros/cons of each OS and make our decisions? It's not just about buying a phone that has a feature first (unless that feature is integral to your life, etc).

Hmmmm I struggle that most people on here are tech savvy or know the pros/cons of each os. Read a few threats that have turned into android or Microsoft bashing and you will find that the tech savvy levels of many posters is embarrassing.

Most people on MR post with their heart and not their head. And being a Apple site, you have a natural bias to all things Apple.

iSlave

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Right-click, Save-As. That's going in my 'Parts to jerk off to' folder, gonna blow a load over that later.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
A fourth wireless tech is bad because?... NFC doesn't even show up in my battery stats...
Because it takes up valuable space inside the phone that otherwise could be used for – I don't know ...
... a bigger battery? :rolleyes:

Why do you look at battery stats in the first place? That is Apples job to do. Or do you wanna be a left alone in the dark Android user, who has to manage his phone all by himself? What a pity! I hope you know your way around Android viruses, because that's gonna be the bigger obstacle to mobile payments for you. :mad:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal

And that isn't the bad part. The bad part is saying that "Android" had it first, when some feature is present on the phone that sold 5 units in a year.

"coprocessor? Android had it first, look at the Moto X". They are limited, so they do not see the difference in scale in talent and magnitude (witch means a much bigger accomplishment) of backing that feature on an irrelevant failure of a phone, that didn't sell, compared with making it default on a phone that will sell like hotcakes the whole year, or an OS that will be present in 600 million devices, instead of 0,000001% of 1 billion devices.

Heck, look at the Material design BS hype. Google apps do not take advantage of the transparent status bar in kitkat! Other apps do not give a **** about current design languages. Heck, OEMs will skin it as much as they can.

It will take 2 or more from now for something similar to Material to be used. Meanwhile, Apple will just charge ahead.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow! Apple is finally catching up!

How many people use NFC, its a cool feature but in reality how useful is it. I've never seen one person use this where I live I had a phone that had it, and I never used it.

While they are catching up with others on this feature, I don't see it as a useful feature quite yet.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I lived in Germany for ten years and visit about every other month. Compared to the Dutch, Germans are extremely paranoid about the way they make their payments or do their banking. Many of my German friends are afraid to do online banking because of a possible hacking event. In addition electronic payments are struggling to take hold. Only recently stores converted from paying by debit card and signature to requiring pin authentication. Indeed it is near to impossible to pay with credit card outside of major population centers. Go to a village in Germany and try to pay with anything other than cash and you have a problem. My mother in law walks around with several hundreds of Euros in cash because she is afraid she "leaves a digital trail".

<snip>

NFC will have (and actually is having) difficulties cathcing on in both countries. In Germany for the general paranoia about the internet and tracking of citizens. In the Netherlands for the convenience of the current payment options. To make it successful it needs broad support from regular retail banks in making regular debit cards NFC enabled first. Especially in Germany support from the banks is needed to sway customer opinion. Google or Apple implementing NFC will not work on its own as a driver of the technology.

There are also other reasons:

The German retail sector has cut-throat competition and margins for the retailers are so low that merchants are unwilling to shoulder the transaction fees from the credit card companies.

Having cash in your pocket also regulates your spending habits quite well. You have a better chance to keep track of your budget and there is a hard limit build in your wallet, that kicks in as soon as the wallet is empty. This is protecting a lot of people from overspending and angers the banks ;)

Also cash is so far the only universally accepted form of payment that works almost everywhere, does not require computers and complicated tech. It works between individuals and strangers.
And having a physical representation of wealth is for some people a very reassuring thing. People in Germany (Europe?) have this collective memory of several monetary reforms and hyper-inflation, so the importance and value of 'real' money is something that is deeply ingrained in the culture.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
NFC could only of worked 2 ways. Retail taking the initiative and implementing it at cost, but would guarantee tech companies would integrate it in to products.

This has not happened at large mainly I feel due to expense and a lack of demand, especially here in the UK where we have used chip n pin for several years and is very easy to use and widely accepted, in fact only places that may need cash is a takeaway or small pub.

The other option is for tech companies to take charge and launch the tech and hope that retail picks it up or you have a failed feature on your hands. I feel it is Apples reluctance to back NFC up to now that has limited it's success, but if it does end up in the 6, then such is the presence of Apple we will see al lot more companies begin to roll it out.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
First we doubted NFC, now we do...

its a constant back and fourth affair..... Seems no one had solid "rumors" regardless of what they claim... Because usually their wrong, and this shows.

And we gobble this stuff up ? It's fun to predict, then change our minds with a "oh wait, no NFC is not on the table",only to follow up with "Yea.. it is."

Don't we have better stuff to do with our time than compare 'screw holes' of a PCB ?

I don't doubt some of this stuff, but whenever i see a clear indication of No NFC, to "rumors again striking abut NFC", that clearly tells me,, the "source" per say has no clue.. Actually its not a source as far as i'm concerned, but they like to be when they grow up.

Just passing wind.. *pardon the pun*

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
NFC = Mobile Payments.

Actually no! You don't know how Apple will implement mobile payments u til,they do! It could be NfC, Bluettoth or something new.

----------

NFC is a technology that does NOT include 802.11ac in its standard. So I am kinda curious how 802.11ac works OVER NFC. I think that's what several people on this board are asking.

You need to enhance your abilities with resoect to understanding common English. He was saying in is more interested in WiFi over NFC. That is specifying a preference or interest in the new WiFi tech to a greater extent than the NFC tech.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
At the moment in the UK there is a transaction limit of £20, that does show how little trust there is in NFC. In an Apple store you would need to spend a lot of time finding something you can buy with NFC ......
So i suppose if the iPhone 6 has NFC, it will mainly be for other uses, but we will know (hopefully) in September.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
At the moment in the UK there is a transaction limit of £20, that does show how little trust there is in NFC. In an Apple store you would need to spend a lot of time finding something you can buy with NFC ......
So i suppose if the iPhone 6 has NFC, it will mainly be for other uses, but we will know (hopefully) in September.

Is that £20 you're referring to when paying via NFC, or a contactless debit card?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Just a couple of thoughts,

1) Doesn't NFC mean wireless charging? As per what a waterproof (re: iTime) would possibly need?
Nope! The two technologies are completely unrelated. Wireless recharging could use NFC but it doesn't have too.
2) Doesn't NFC, it being a standard, help out with manufacturers who want to pare their device; such as medical or fitness; with the hub-device (the iPhone)
Only if they use NFC! There are many options on the board right now and frankly Bluetooth would make more sense for many of these devices.
3) Wouldn't they want it it in Laptops and Desktops, as per that mysterious gizmo the other month?
Not that I can see.
4) I would love for London's Oyster system to be able to be pocket-free. Venues can also be completely automated as per human-traffic is concerned.
You do realize no real,person knows what the Oyster system is.
5) Hand's up who's with me to create a Vending Machine using these combinations of tech?

What type of vending machine?

----------

OK like what? Internet speeds for most people aren't even close to that, also iPhone's nand flash isn't even capable of ac speeds.

So?

Why do people assume that flash won't get faster in the future?

Beyond that flash doesn't even come into play for some uses of WiFi.

iSage

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
It's obvious that Apple's strategy revolves around Bluetoth 4.0 and iBeacons. There are already 10s if not 100s of millions of iPhones that have BT 4.0 and exactly zero with NFC. Just look at how purchase work in an Apple store. With iBeacons, that is their model for the future of retail.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
He said that everything related to wifi will be faster, which is wrong. In fact, as another poster pointed out, it won't be faster at all due to the speed limitations of NAND flash. It will be good for improved battery life but that's it.

Again a bunch of faulty assumptions here. First you make the assumption that flash itslef won't get faster over time so you really don't know how fast storsge is in the next iPhone. Second fast WiFi transfers don't have to go to flash. Third if the data is to go to flash it might need processing first.

Faster WiFi will be a big win. That is if you are in a place where you can get a WiFi connection. Im sitting in a hotel at this moment that has crap for WiFi the good thing is that LTE is fast here. This highlights that WiFi is only useful if you can get a good connection.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
They never heard of Debit cards?...lol

You have to ask your mommy and daddy to take you on a holiday - seems you aren't very worldly.

The least you could have done was run EC Karte through a search engine - would have saved you the embarrassment.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.