Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
If people are looking for premium good headphones, no way they will consider AirPods.

AirPods are OK headphone, poor audio imo.

Reactions: Madhawk

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
b05450fc4e94fea86d7e8da432ac7a0d.jpg

Have AirPods and BeatsX. So far Beats I'm liking a little better fit MUCH more comfortably in my odd ears than the AirPods. Had to switch Beats to use the "smallest" ear rubber but seem to be a lot more comfortable than AirPods. Only played with them a hour or so now though. Wish AirPods had rubber ear tip options The Beats sound a bit better I think and eliminate a lot more outside noise around me. Not a fan of cord on Beats but at least they "weighted" them

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
b05450fc4e94fea86d7e8da432ac7a0d.jpg

Have AirPods and BeatsX. So far Beats I'm liking a little better fit MUCH more comfortably in my odd ears than the AirPods. Had to switch Beats to use the "smallest" ear rubber but seem to be a lot more comfortable than AirPods. Only played with them a hour or so now though. Wish AirPods had rubber ear tip options The Beats sound a bit better I think and eliminate a lot more outside noise around me. Not a fan of cord on Beats but at least they "weighted" them

Blaine!! So glad you got them, been having this debate for awhile now so now that I see your post I think Beats X might work for me.

Reactions: blaine07

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Got beatx 2 days ago and absolutely love them, was not decided between Airpods and beatsx as Airpods fit me fine.
Beatx fit perfect with wing tips and very comfortable and not a single issue so far, battery is draining little fast but maybe using them more. Quick charge is brilliant, 10- 100% in less than an hour.
For that price you can't beat ( pun intended)!!

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Blaine!! So glad you got them, been having this debate for awhile now so now that I see your post I think Beats X might work for me.

The adjustable rubber ear tips is the real winner here. I bet in the next iteration of AirPods they make appropriate changes to accommodate such. I find my AirPods are more convenient, less conspicuous if you will and work fine for brief calls but the longer the left one is in, the more my ear hurts. Right ear is fine wearing AirPod. Regardless, BeatsX block a lot more noise around you and seem to sound quite a bit better, albeit it im FAR from a audiophile... I'm a case junkie ‍♂️ I took a few phone calls and other than it feeling weird not being able to hear myself talk it worked well. I will say, on a phone call but not when playing music I heard the sound that's discussed above when wire rubs shirt or whatever, but it's far from unbearable.

Questions?

Cliff notes: if AirPods don't fit your ears PERFECT these are the answer.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Definitely loving my BeatsX more and more. Battery is solid but it's the comfort and amazing isolation that are winning me over. I still love my AirPods but because of a not ideal fit, they start hurting within 20-30 minutes unfortunately. But the beatsx have been on for a few hours without any problem.

LGIR627

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Can someone please post real life pictures of the blue? I haven't been able to find any good pics

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
One problem I'm noticing with my BeatsX is erratic battery meter readings. I took it off the charger this morning and it was at 98%. Also I notice "drainage" even after I've powered off (i.e. Off at 96%, turn it back on and it's at 93% 1 hour later, then reboot it again and it's back at 95%). Battery longevity itself seems as quoted. Anyone else notice this?

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
I had my hands on a pair at Best Buy the other day and I didn't pull the trigger. Not sure I want to spend $159 on a pair of headphones.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
They would if they weren't close minded about Beats headphones of the past.

There are numerous sites that have stated how well the audio quality is on these.

If they're anything like powerbeats 3, their low end is still too emphasized. I pretty much use my powerbeats 3 for working out only and it's hard to understand podcasts sometimes because the low end is so emphasized.

Glixbit

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2017
I have a brand new pair and was about to use them after the first time I charged them. Couldn't get them powered on, the light was flashing red.

Does the unit turn on after getting unplugged like it turns itself off when you plug them in to charge? A bit annoying if I have to remember to turn them off everytime I charge them.

EDIT: Charged them again and they were turned off when I unplugged. Let's hope the battery holds charge. Can't accept them running out of charge over night.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
This thread over at head-fi surprised me a great deal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/836056/beatsx

A very positive evaluation by users who belong to an audiophile site that has been rather hostile towards the Beats brand in the past. This and some youtube reviews I've seen have made me look rather hard at getting these.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
This thread over at head-fi surprised me a great deal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/836056/beatsx

A very positive evaluation by users who belong to an audiophile site that has been rather hostile towards the Beats brand in the past. This and some youtube reviews I've seen have made me look rather hard at getting these.
Agree with those posts. I've never enjoyed the beats signature until the BeatsX but the comfort and convenience with the "new" balanced sound just makes these a home run for me.

Last edited:

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
I'm really thinking of grabbing a pair of these. I have a pair of airpods, and while I really like them, the beats x having some noise isolation is really making me want a pair.

My main concern is that I mostly listen to music while laying in bed. Is that even gonna be possible with the cable running behind my head?

Reactions: blaine07

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm really thinking of grabbing a pair of these. I have a pair of airpods, and while I really like them, the beats x having some noise isolation is really making me want a pair.

My main concern is that I mostly listen to music while laying in bed. Is that even gonna be possible with the cable running behind my head?

Yes the cable won't be a bother. If you need to run it in front of you. Won't matter either way.

If it's any consolation I enjoy my BeatsX. I have AirPods as well and find the Beats MUCH more comfortable for more than a phone call. One of the AirPods fits me fine; while the other side scratches my ear it feels like. I'm no audiophile but have listened to some music and handled a few phone calls and BeatsX handled as good as or better than my AirPods. AirPods work perfect for a quick call, beats are good for longer periods of time, for me.

You'll enjoy a pair!

Reactions: csi24

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
Yes the cable won't be a bother. If you need to run it in front of you. Won't matter either way.

If it's any consolation I enjoy my BeatsX. I have AirPods as well and find the Beats MUCH more comfortable for more than a phone call. One of the AirPods fits me fine; while the other side scratches my ear it feels like. I'm no audiophile but have listened to some music and handled a few phone calls and BeatsX handled as good as or better than my AirPods. AirPods work perfect for a quick call, beats are good for longer periods of time, for me.

You'll enjoy a pair!

I didn't even know it was possible to run the cable in front of you. That might of sealed it then. Because I need some form of noise isolation and I'm not shelling out $350 for the bose qc35's

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I didn't even know it was possible to run the cable in front of you. That might of sealed it then. Because I need some form of noise isolation and I'm not shelling out $350 for the bose qc35's

I've done it. Not sure it matters where cord is? Not sure if it would affect talking on phone or anything. It it can certainly be done though. Go rent them from BB and give them a whirl ‍♂️

Reactions: csi24

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The cord behind the neck sits comfortably and the extra slack allows for the headphones to be comfortable even when laying down. The cable is stiff enough but light so that the battery packs sitting on the anterior aspect of yourself will prevent the neck portion from fall backwards. And the slack from the battery packs to the earbuds allows them to be comfortable without any pulling back.

In short, they stay comfortably in place with the behind the neck configuration

Last edited:
Reactions: csi24 and blaine07

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
BeatsX vs Solo3 sound quality? Really just need a wireless headphone with a fun sound quality for runs that also works for podcasts.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Solo 3 is deeper and bassier. On ear headphones are uncomfortable to me so I vote BeatsX which are smoother and compact.

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Any strong opinions here of silicone tips that came with Beats X versus Comply memory foam tips? I have both and think they both work well in different use cases. Foam a little more comfortable and better at noise isolation, but more of a pain to clean/maintain.

Has anyone here experienced any ringing in their ears from using the Beats X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.