Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fultonjt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
What's the big deal with these things? I thought we'd moved onto 'truly wireless' bluetooth earphones? $150 is asking a lot.

I know personally I'll never wear the AirPods. I hate the feel of the hard plastic from the EarPods, and think they look ridiculous (like wearing two of the old school blue tooth headphones/microphones). Its all personal preference, but I can't wait for these.

Reactions: boston04and07

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
What's the big deal with these things? I thought we'd moved onto 'truly wireless' bluetooth earphones? $150 is asking a lot.

What's not truly wireless about these? It's 2 earbuds connected together by a cord, with a W1 chip, and lightning charger. The only other set of bluetooth earbuds on the market with the same parameters are the airpods, which for use in environments like airplanes or on a bus, have almost no practical use since they don't isolate the music you're listening to from outside noise. In fact, the Beats X doesn't even require a charging case or any additional cables aside from the lightning cable everyone likely already uses to charge their phone.
[doublepost=1485473885][/doublepost]
hello its me "the complainer". But I feel like a broken record.

For once we agree on something.
[doublepost=1485474053][/doublepost]
I know personally I'll never wear the AirPods. I hate the feel of the hard plastic from the EarPods, and think they look ridiculous (like wearing two of the old school blue tooth headphones/microphones). Its all personal preference, but I can't wait for these.

The AirPods have their use... they work great for sitting at my desk and using as a mechanism to talk on the phone, far better than anything else on the market. They become useless when I go outside, on a plane, train, or bus. I agree they look ridiculous, but worse they function terribly. The fit is not great like a silicon earbud, and hence offers ZERO noise isolation (no, I'm not talking about noise cancellation). Part of any decent headphone is that you hear the music over what's not inside your ear (ie. airplane noise) and for airplane use, Airpods are basically useless.

But as I said, I do like them for the specific purpose mentioned above.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
what i don't get about the airpods is....

apple branded (yes i know beats is apple but it's not apple BRANDED) earphones suck. they always have. thats why the earphone market is so robust. No one wanted to use what came with their iphones, and no one likes the earpods they sell. I've used both and i can see why. So suddenly they take wires off, tack on 100 bucks and now its in demand????? Is the sound quality better or are u just one that has the early adopter mentality? (not shaming anyone, legitimately asking)

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
No one wanted to use what came with their iphones, and no one likes the earpods they sell.

I never have used earpods, but I think your comment is backwards, MOST use the earbuds that come with their phones, it's always been that way with iPhone, which I've never understood. I think that's probably why Apple didn't stray from the gross plastic odd-fitting design, because such a huge percentage of the users use the boring, crap headphones in the box, and have since the beginning of time with Apple iPhone.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
you're right.

i should have said, the only people that use it only use it because they're free, and will continue to do so. Those that want to invest in something that sounds better, wouldn't choose the airpods for the same reason they wont use the ones that are free.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
you're right.

i should have said, the only people that use it only use it because they're free, and will continue to do so. Those that want to invest in something that sounds better, wouldn't choose the airpods for the same reason they wont use the ones that are free.

Yeah it always makes me laugh that people will spend $800-1100 on a top of the line phone then use the cheap garbage earbuds that come with it. You can literally spend $40 on a pair of Sennheiser C300 noise isolating earbuds and have sound that's 100x better than Apple's crap they put in the box.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
you're right.

The Earpods (and Airpods) are great for phone calls (where noise isolation often isn't helpful, since not hearing your own voice normally can be a bit irritating) and things like listening to podcasts and audiobooks in a quiet environment. And for some people the last bit of audio quality is simply not important enough to warrant buying 3rd party earphones (and let's face it: earphones connected to a phone will never provide an "audiophile" experience).
[doublepost=1485539417][/doublepost]Amazon has updated my order and is now asking for my approval for a delayed delivery. The new target date is February 26. Too bad.

Reactions: nikster0029

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Amazon has updated my order and is now asking for my approval for a delayed delivery. The new target date is February 26. Too bad.

Yup..saw it coming
You've posted this in like 5 different threads. Doubt it though since they wouldn't have updated the expected shipment onto an exact date.

I will be the bigger man here, and just say... have a great day.

Reactions: heelsbigc

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Yeah it always makes me laugh that people will spend $800-1100 on a top of the line phone then use the cheap garbage earbuds that come with it. You can literally spend $40 on a pair of Sennheiser C300 noise isolating earbuds and have sound that's 100x better than Apple's crap they put in the box.

I've got a pair of Sennheiser MM30i. I hope that the beatsX will be at least as good as these.

Reactions: Ruppenthal

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey

Most people rarely have a need for headphones at all. For those who live in a city and use public transportation often, or for those who fly on planes often, yes you have the need. But for the other 75% of us who live in the suburbs or rural areas, we drive everywhere we go, and so we have no need for headphones.

I use headphones only when I travel, which is once every couple of months. I have always used the ones that came in the box. But now that there are wireless options, I decided I will try the Beats X. However, it's certainly not a critical item for me, and for my occasional use, I could just as easily use the ones that came with the phone.

About half of the people I know who have iPhones don't even have any music on their phone.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Many just don't do any critical listening, just mainly casual as EarPods are all over the place in my gym and malls etc... And since we all know the quality of those is just halfway decent, ....
[doublepost=1485620914][/doublepost]

Don't even need to spend that much, I got the Vava Flex Earbuds from Amazon back when and they're outstanding for around $20. Unheard of instrument detail and soundstage considering I have others that cost lots more.

Last edited:

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Many just don't do any critical listening, just mainly casual as EarPods are all over the place in my gym and malls etc... And since we all know the quality of those is just halfway decent, ....

guess its a YMMV thing. In the 6 years at my gym i've NEVER seen white earbuds. Usually beats or something else black.

Last edited:

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Most people rarely have a need for headphones at all. For those who live in a city and use public transportation often, or for those who fly on planes often, yes you have the need. But for the other 75% of us who live in the suburbs or rural areas, we drive everywhere we go, and so we have no need for headphones.

I use headphones only when I travel, which is once every couple of months. I have always used the ones that came in the box. But now that there are wireless options, I decided I will try the Beats X. However, it's certainly not a critical item for me, and for my occasional use, I could just as easily use the ones that came with the phone.

About half of the people I know who have iPhones don't even have any music on their phone.

I don't think your experience represents the average iPhone user though, especially with the no music part, lol

slingshott

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
What's not truly wireless about these? It's 2 earbuds connected together by a cord, with a W1 chip, and lightning charger. The only other set of bluetooth earbuds on the market with the same parameters are the airpods, which for use in environments like airplanes or on a bus, have almost no practical use since they don't isolate the music you're listening to from outside noise. In fact, the Beats X doesn't even require a charging case or any additional cables aside from the lightning cable everyone likely already uses to charge their phone.

Well the wire means they aren't wireless :D. Earphones don't need charging that much right? So the connector shouldn't be a huge issue. It's good they have noise isolation but does that really justify the pricetag? I was under the impression Beats were looked down upon by most of you guys as over-marketed nonsense so I was shocked to see all the commotion. Seems like this has been done before that's all.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Well the wire means they aren't wireless :D. Earphones don't need charging that much right? So the connector shouldn't be a huge issue. It's good they have noise isolation but does that really justify the pricetag? I was under the impression Beats were looked down upon by most of you guys as over-marketed nonsense so I was shocked to see all the commotion. Seems like this has been done before that's all.

I think the W1 chip is what is attractive, without it I wouldn't consider beats at all.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA

Yes, a wire connecting the two headphones is wireless just like any of the Bose or Beats or countless other brands that offer noise cancelling headphones. You realize they all have wires connecting the two ears inside the headband, right? I am thinking you just were tired when you asked this question and now realize it's silly.

The design has been done before (aka Jaybirds X 3), however no others aside from the airpods use lightning as a connector, which is a huge plus. Additionally the W1 chip is somewhat addicting the way it allows you to pair with one device and that pairing carry across all iOS\macOS devices associated with the Apple ID.

As you said, it's been done similarly before, as have the AirPods... but as we've seen, Apple (Beats is Apple) tends to get things less wrong (notice I don't say more right? lol) than other manufacturers. Time will tell on Beats X. I can't defend what I haven't tried, but after using the AirPods with the pairing experience, the one thing I'd like is Noise Isolation, which the Beats X offer, so I'll just have to see.

The pricetag? $150? That's less than the AirPods and in line with what the competition charges for similar products.
[doublepost=1485796798][/doublepost]
I don't like the hook attachments on the powerbeats, I want to be able to wear sunglasses while listening to music. At the moment BeatsX are the only option on the market for my use-case.

That's the reason I didn't buy powerbeats, those silly ear clips. I guess if you run with them on they'll help, but meh.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Personally I love the idea of being able to pull the Beats X out of my ears and snap them together to wear around my neck. I tend to wear my earbuds (as opposed to my on-ear headphones) mostly in situations where I can and will be distracted or might need to quickly speak with someone from time to time - in the office, commutes on public transit, etc. I just *know* that I am the type of person who, when asked a question by a flight attendant or when I need to quickly duck into a store and pay for something at the register or whatever, would quickly pull out an AirPod to be able to hear and place it in a pocket, or on the store's counter, or wherever, and either fumble to find it again or lose it altogether. Small deal but would definitely get annoying for me. And I'm someone who generally (knock on wood) doesn't lose things - I just know that I'd be setting myself up for failure with AirPods due to the way in which I already use my existing wired earbuds.

Seriously, all the power to you guys who aren't the type to lose AirPods, I just know that I very well could be. :rolleyes: Plus I'm fairly positive I'd like the earpiece design better than the Airpods' design. Finally the Lightning charging and lack of the ear hook thingy make these a much better option than the Powerbeats for me personally.

Anyway, that's just me. I'm glad Apple/Beats makes several multiple unique types of headphone as clearly we're all different! I hope they always have a variety like this.

slingshott

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
I don't like the hook attachments on the powerbeats, I want to be able to wear sunglasses while listening to music. At the moment BeatsX are the only option on the market for my use-case.

Agreed, I don't like them either. If earphones are falling out of your ears that readily something's wrong.

Yes, a wire connecting the two headphones is wireless just like any of the Bose or Beats or countless other brands that offer noise cancelling headphones. You realize they all have wires connecting the two ears inside the headband, right? I am thinking you just were tired when you asked this question and now realize it's silly.

My only point was that the direction that earphones (not headphones) are going in is towards the 'truly wireless', as Bragi would say. Some may like these because they can hang them around their neck when they're not using them. For me the wire on these not-actually-wireless bluetooth earphones annoys me when it rubs on my hair or clothes as I turn my head. That's not the case with wireless headphones. That constant friction would drive me bananas over time (I know because I owned a Sony pair). It may not make a difference to you but it frustrates me.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Agreed, I don't like them either. If earphones are falling out of your ears that readily something's wrong.

My only point was that the direction that earphones (not headphones) are going in is towards the 'truly wireless', as Bragi would say. Some may like these because they can hang them around their neck when they're not using them. For me the wire on these not-actually-wireless bluetooth earphones annoys me when it rubs on my hair or clothes as I turn my head. That's not the case with wireless headphones. That constant friction would drive me bananas over time (I know because I owned a Sony pair). It may not make a difference to you but it frustrates me.

"Wireless" refers to the term of not having a wire to your device, I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it for you. I think your analysis about where the direction is going is absolutely wrong, and refuted by what's on the market and in the pipelines. Go to Amazon (or your favorite sales site) and google "wireless earphones" (which I think you really mean earbuds) and you'll see your sentiment is not accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.