Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Too soon to tell. But on my iPad air 2 it runs flawlessly so far. I never install beta on my phone however. Even if its good i need my phone to be reliable at all times. But I highly recommend it on an ipad as a daily driver.

Reactions: kanon14

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've been running the developer betas on an older phone (iPhone 5) - seems pretty solid. I like the dev beta 5 so far. Seems more solid than beta 4.

I just installed public beta 3 on my iPhone 6 Plus tonight. So far, so good.

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
Just be careful. My alarm didn't work this morning. Not really sure why as it worked when i tested it afterwards.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Everyone would answer this differently, features that one person uses daily an other may not.

Just try it and see like the rest of us.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Before starting using beta, a warning.

You need to backup your data, and try out your beta as soon as possible to reduce the chance losing some data when storing from backup.

But if you ok, you can retain it.

For me, I like new features, and my core apps doesn't go down from beta to beta. So that is great for me. Don't need to mention trackpad feature is so useful on iPhone, which is even not a standard feature on iPhone.

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
I put Beat 5 on my 6+ yesterday. Using it now. Battery has seemed to stabilize and looks to be ok but we'll see over the weekend. No app crashes yet. I'll be on the phone a lot today so i'll know how it works after today. I can say i put it on my 4S yesterday and it runs much smoother then 8.4 Which is why i put it on my main phone. 8.4 was total crap on my 6+.

If your even "iffy" about it, don't do it. You need to be 100% sure your ready to troubleshoot or downgrade if you install.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
i got it installed on my phone so i guess well see. My first impressions are good. There is still some choppiness to the overall OS but way better than it used to be. I really hope apple polishes it up because I really wouldn't understand the point of this OS due to the fact that it doesn't have any new major features. This is supposed to be a bug and performance iOS update.

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
Kind of sad when a Beta OS is smoother then the OS that's been out for a year and updates a few times. I'll take it though!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Kind of sad when a Beta OS is smoother then the OS that's been out for a year and updates a few times. I'll take it though!
As I've said elsewhere I would have expected the first beta of a new iOS marketed as improving performance to be better than the existing iOS.

Reactions: jeremiah239

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Ps I'm not saying I'm mad it wasn't there, just that I expected it. I was replying to the poster who felt sad that the current stable release is slower that the current beta, just saying I would have expected that is all, and feel sad if it was the other way around

Reactions: batting1000

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
As I've said elsewhere I would have expected the first beta of a new iOS marketed as improving performance to be better than the existing iOS.

I don't know about that. I do expect the final to be better but 2 betas from the final (just a guess) is crazy. Kind of seems like there was a rush to get 8 out without optimizing like they should have. Either way, its sad in my view but as long as the final version is what 8 should have been, i'm good.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yay or nay?

It's a safe move as long as you understand what you are getting into and are willing to deal with the pitfalls. Make sure you have a good backup of your data immediately before updating, as you cannot restore a backup made with iOS 9 onto an iOS 8 device.

Beta releases are basically test versions, and there are new, sometimes half-baked, features being introduced, and sometimes basic functionality is affected.

Public beta 3 and developer beta 5 are fairly far along and seem to be stable, but there is always that odd chance that the next version will break a feature that you rely on or will cause a "go to" app to not function properly.

Again, with a good backup and full awareness of the potentially burning building that you are walking into, it's about as safe as it can get.

odoy

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2015
Germany
my 5s gets often hot when i use it.
turned every spotlight search off, except contacts. i expect exchange is guilty
Performance is good.
to say something about the battery, i need more time. first day was in face of heatgeneration ok.

Just be careful. My alarm didn't work this morning. Not really sure why as it worked when i tested it afterwards.

i had this issue in beta 2 or 3

Last edited:

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
for what it's worth, it's working flawlessly on my iphone 6. No battery complaints, zero bugs, feels finished. (at least for me)

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Forgive my ignorance, for those with an Apple Watch, if you upgrade to iOS 9 Beta 5, do you have to upgrade to Watch iOS 2? I think now that we've hit beta 5, I am ready to upgrade, but not if most of the 3rd party watch functionality stops working.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Forgive my ignorance, for those with an Apple Watch, if you upgrade to iOS 9 Beta 5, do you have to upgrade to Watch iOS 2? I think now that we've hit beta 5, I am ready to upgrade, but not if most of the 3rd party watch functionality stops working.

No. I am running PB 3 and still running watchOS 1.01. No issues to report.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Loving it so far and for me beta 5 is first beta which is for daily driver.
Anybody on the fence just take a backup, archieve, try beta for a day or 2 and if doesn't suit, restore back to 8.4.

As daily driver for me might not be daily drive for someone else, cant wait to see what final release would be lik of this.

Just to give you idea this is my battery from full charge this morning.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 629
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.