Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Right now, the only drawback for me is faster battery drain and a tendency to heat up when using. I just have to remember to charge my phone during my free time. It definitely feels way smoother than iOS 8 (especially the scrolling!), so I don't feel pressured to downgrade anytime soon.

Dubadai

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
I've been using it as my daily driver and it works great, much better than the previous.

Ive hade one crash, and thats it. Battery seems to be fine as well, no drain and it lasts me all day without any issues and I usually plug it in at night with a charge of 40-50% left, and thats with pretty heavy use all day.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
PB3 is the only ios9 beta I've installed so far. I'm keeping it on my ipad air 2 but downgrading my iphone 6. They've fixed some UI bugs that bugged me before and even dynamic wallpapers doesn't reset like it did in ios8.

But theres a lot of framerate drop here and there which I just can't stand. I've reported some bugs but will wait out till next beta for my iphone. In 24 hours Ive had maybe 2 app crashes. Otherwise very solid.

Keeping it on my ipad since split screen is awesome

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
PB3 is the only ios9 beta I've installed so far. I'm keeping it on my ipad air 2 but downgrading my iphone 6. They've fixed some UI bugs that bugged me before and even dynamic wallpapers doesn't reset like it did in ios8.

But theres a lot of framerate drop here and there which I just can't stand. I've reported some bugs but will wait out till next beta for my iphone. In 24 hours Ive had maybe 2 app crashes. Otherwise very solid.

Keeping it on my ipad since split screen is awesome

Is it smoother on the iPad Air 2 than iOS 8.4? Specifically the Apple Music app bogging down the system after 10 minutes of browsing around and the slow wake/rotation issues. Thanks!

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Is it smoother on the iPad Air 2 than iOS 8.4? Specifically the Apple Music app bogging down the system after 10 minutes of browsing around and the slow wake/rotation issues. Thanks!

Somethings are smoother some aren't. I'd say it's slightly worse, mostly the app switcher. Music app I don't use so can't answer that. Slow wake has been fixed. What rotation issues?

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Battery life is slightly bad here on my iPhone 5s. It also tends to heat up the more I use it. There's little lag here and there, especially with the Control Center, but yes, I'd say beta 5 can be used as a daily driver.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Battery life is slightly bad here on my iPhone 5s. It also tends to heat up the more I use it. There's little lag here and there, especially with the Control Center, but yes, I'd say beta 5 can be used as a daily driver.
Control center lags on iPhone 5S even with iOS8. Even worse on iOS 9 ?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Control center lags on iPhone 5S even with iOS8. Even worse on iOS 9 ?

Control center lags on iphone 6 on iOS 9. It has a really bad delay as well when in message conversation without the keyboard up. Works great on ipad.

Reactions: colburnr

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
It is strange to see that most people who are having battery problems are on either 5s or 5, maybe it is not yet optimized for older devices , works great on 6+, with heavy usage i have yet to see it dropping 20% by bedtime.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
It is strange to see that most people who are having battery problems are on either 5s or 5, maybe it is not yet optimized for older devices , works great on 6+, with heavy usage i have yet to see it dropping 20% by bedtime.

It would make sense for Apple to focus more on the newer iPhones for pre-release software in terms of performance and optimization.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
It would make sense for Apple to focus more on the newer iPhones for pre-release software in terms of performance and optimization.
It makes sense but they also have to optimize for the millions of people who WONT be upgrading this year.

And why iPad performance has not been a priority lately is even more ridiculous since people upgrade ipads even less than iphones.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It makes sense but they also have to optimize for the millions of people who WONT be upgrading this year.

And why iPad performance has not been a priority lately is even more ridiculous since people upgrade ipads even less than iphones.

iOS 9 has been incredibly smooth on the Air 2 when I've used it.

Reactions: scjr

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I updated both my iPhone 6+ and iPad Air 2 yesterday. One respring after the first notification on the iPhone, otherwise perfect on both devices.

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Other than the extremely rare app freeze this has been an amazing build so far. I upgraded from 8.4 (downgraded from other builds) and my battery life is as good if not better and the apps I use on a daily basis have performed as expected. Surprised honestly :)

justblack78

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Been excellent as my daily driver so far. Springboard crashed the first day but everything has been rock solid since then. No app freezes or crashes and my batter life has been amazing. Took my phone off the charger at 8am yesterday and it's now after 3am and I'm at 49%.

Murgatroyd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Staten Island, New Yawk
With an iPhone 5, installed iOS 9, and enabling Use Cellular Data For: any app in Settings brings the green button to appear but switching out of System and then back I find the switch has returned to off, disabled. Rebooting the iPhone does nothing. Haven't figured out a work around as of yet. Bug

robertkarlsen

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Halmstad, Sweden
Earlier versions of iOS 9 Beta lasted only a few hours on my phone! Beta 5 is solid as hell though! Still using it. Runs great. All Apple need is a Beta 6 and then GM. Then it will be 100% solid! About 90 % now IMO.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Updated from iOS 8.4 yesterday, having not used any of the previous betas. So far, everything seems to work fairly well. Some apps are a bit crashy, but nothing yet has outright refused to run. Battery life feels unchanged.

My biggest overall complaint is that the OS is just not nearly as fluid. It's not consistent or debilitating, but it's annoying. There's a delay when opening apps, delays when opening the app switcher, sometimes controls, gestures, or scroll areas don't respond immediately, sometimes things freeze for a couple seconds. It kind of reminds me how the GM release of 8 was. Again, nothing unusable, but I sure hope it's better for the GM build.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Updated from iOS 8.4 yesterday, having not used any of the previous betas. So far, everything seems to work fairly well. Some apps are a bit crashy, but nothing yet has outright refused to run. Battery life feels unchanged.

My biggest overall complaint is that the OS is just not nearly as fluid. It's not consistent or debilitating, but it's annoying. There's a delay when opening apps, delays when opening the app switcher, sometimes controls, gestures, or scroll areas don't respond immediately, sometimes things freeze for a couple seconds. It kind of reminds me how the GM release of 8 was. Again, nothing unusable, but I sure hope it's better for the GM build.
I agree with the fluidity problem. It definitely doesn't respond as nicely as 8.4.1. I ran the beta for one day but I had to go back because of the performance and plus I still just can't handle the new font. It feels so foreign and like I'm jailbroken. Sure it's cool that the keyboard switches to a lowercase but it totally screws up my typing accuracy. I'm so used to how things are that little changes are pretty big to me. I might be one of those people this time around hanging on to the old version for a long long time! Or I'll just jailbreak and put Helvetia back on! :)

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Is Public Beta 3 the same as Dev Beta 5?

I just installed PB3 and it seems really good so far. It's much better than the monstrosity that they called 8.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.