Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I agree with the fluidity problem. It definitely doesn't respond as nicely as 8.4.1. I ran the beta for one day but I had to go back because of the performance and plus I still just can't handle the new font. It feels so foreign and like I'm jailbroken. Sure it's cool that the keyboard switches to a lowercase but it totally screws up my typing accuracy. I'm so used to how things are that little changes are pretty big to me. I might be one of those people this time around hanging on to the old version for a long long time! Or I'll just jailbreak and put Helvetia back on! :)

You can turn off the lowercase keyboard.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Updated from iOS 8.4 yesterday, having not used any of the previous betas. So far, everything seems to work fairly well. Some apps are a bit crashy, but nothing yet has outright refused to run. Battery life feels unchanged.

My biggest overall complaint is that the OS is just not nearly as fluid. It's not consistent or debilitating, but it's annoying. There's a delay when opening apps, delays when opening the app switcher, sometimes controls, gestures, or scroll areas don't respond immediately, sometimes things freeze for a couple seconds. It kind of reminds me how the GM release of 8 was. Again, nothing unusable, but I sure hope it's better for the GM build.
Which devices did you try it on?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is Public Beta 3 the same as Dev Beta 5?

I just installed PB3 and it seems really good so far. It's much better than the monstrosity that they called 8.4
Yes, they are the same build.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I've been using the public beta for a day and a half as my daily driver (iPhone 6 AT&T) and it has been completely solid so far. At first I simply updated from 8.4 without doing a clean install and noticed lag in apps and switching screens or menus. I then wiped everything and did a reset, and set up as new phone and that made things much better. All of my apps work fine and battery life hasn't gotten any worse. I do notice that VoLTE calls stay connected when I have a weaker signal, compared to 8.4 when they would drop or cut out. Really enjoy iOS 9 so far.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I've been using the public beta for a day and a half as my daily driver (iPhone 6 AT&T) and it has been completely solid so far. At first I simply updated from 8.4 without doing a clean install and noticed lag in apps and switching screens or menus. I then wiped everything and did a reset, and set up as new phone and that made things much better. All of my apps work fine and battery life hasn't gotten any worse. I do notice that VoLTE calls stay connected when I have a weaker signal, compared to 8.4 when they would drop or cut out. Really enjoy iOS 9 so far.

Wish I could say the same. Betas have been really bad on the 5s.

Dryasanne

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
No problem. But Netflix app search doesnt work. I have to lookup Netflix in my safari to find any movies.

Dryasanne

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Works perfectly for me. What happens when you try to search?
Nothing. Nothing at all. Like Im typing Terminator and press enter. Nothing at all happens
( then the same on the wrbsite in Safari, I get the search result instantly.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Nothing. Nothing at all. Like Im typing Terminator and press enter. Nothing at all happens
( then the same on the wrbsite in Safari, I get the search result instantly.
Yeah, no problem here, so clearly not a universal bug. Maybe try reinstalling Netflix?

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I'm entertaining installing the beta.

This may be a stupid question, but is the public beta only available OTA? Thanks!

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
6+ here. My swiftkey keyboard keeps disappearing and i have to close out and then re-open the app for it to come back. Its a serious pain in the ass. Happens mostly in Messages. Right now I'm pretty torn because I like a lot of the added features...but man..it just not a fluid os for me right now. It freezes up a few seconds at a time and just generally doesn't have the immediate responsiveness I'm used to. Praying the final build will finally level things back out..

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Updated from iOS 8.4 yesterday, having not used any of the previous betas. So far, everything seems to work fairly well. Some apps are a bit crashy, but nothing yet has outright refused to run. Battery life feels unchanged.

My biggest overall complaint is that the OS is just not nearly as fluid. It's not consistent or debilitating, but it's annoying. There's a delay when opening apps, delays when opening the app switcher, sometimes controls, gestures, or scroll areas don't respond immediately, sometimes things freeze for a couple seconds. It kind of reminds me how the GM release of 8 was. Again, nothing unusable, but I sure hope it's better for the GM build.
I'm hopeful these small issues will be fixed for the GM. After all, it'll at least be a three gap so we should see some improvements.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Incorrect, I installed PB1, PB2 and PB3 via iTunes.

The public beta can only be installed through OTA, however the corresponding dev betas (3, 4, and 5) have the same build numbers as the public betas and can be installed through iTunes. You'll need to be a registered dev for the dev betas though.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Please let us know if the rotation issue and music app lag is fixe.....also how's it running overall?

Music lag is fixed. I've been using iOS 9 public beta 3 for 2 days now and I haven't seen it lag yet. I'd say it's fixed.

I had 8.4.1 for a couple hours and it started lagging, so the fact that I haven't see that happen on iOS 9 yet, I'd say it's gone.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
For what it's worth... I've been using iOS 9 beta 5 on my iPhone 6 as well. And I kid you not, it's the most stable iOS version I have ever had in my entire life using an iPhone. It really is. iOS 8 was stable as well of course, but there were quite a lot bugs around. Everything seems far more polished and smoother on the fifth beta of iOS 9. Mostly because of Metal it seems.

Beta 4 was a significant improvement over beta 2. But beta 5 really shows that Apple knows how hardware and software can work together best. Do have to say that battery life is a little less compared to beta 3 (went down in beta 4, and got a little up again with beta 5). And sometimes it crashes, but that's not really different to iOS 8.3 to be honest. So I'm completely happy right now.

I hope the next major iOS update will have this high level of quality as well. It would again be another hit in the face of Android after the performance issues with iOS 7 and iOS 8 on older devices.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
What was the process for that?

The public beta can only be installed through OTA, however the corresponding dev betas (3, 4, and 5) have the same build numbers as the public betas and can be installed through iTunes. You'll need to be a registered dev for the dev betas though.

I'm going to retract and edit that - I was going by memory and may be wrong. :eek:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Please let us know if the rotation issue and music app lag is fixe.....also how's it running overall?

I can't comment on the music app, since I don't use it. I put both of my devices on 9b3. Seems to be doing well. I did have 2 springboard crashes on my 6+ in settings. Sent logs. Hasn't happened again.

6+ and iPad Air 2 seem to like iOS 9. Going to give it a few days and if there isn't anything that impedes my day to day usage, going to stay on the beta.

Reactions: batting1000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.