Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I mainly use it for calculating points on weight watchers ( when I am trying to lose weight....after a week of eating brisket as one example). :) Most of the stuff I weigh is in ounces. I mainly weigh stuff after it already cooked.

That's a good idea .

Reactions: Uofmtiger

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I don't have the Big Green Egg, but I do enjoy grilling and smoking. We've had a dedicated smoker for a few years now and use it to make pulled pork, ribs, chicken, fish, turkey, etc. I will say that my favorite smoking resource is an informational website called amazingribs.com . The site is packed with info including product reviews, recipes, cooking techniques, etc. The first and most important thing I learned about smoking is the importance of buying a good meat thermometer and the best way to use it so that you can monitor both cooking temperature and meat temperature at the same time. Have fun with your purchase and report back on how things go. :)

Amazing ribs. Best site for grilling on the web
[doublepost=1468372697][/doublepost]Been BBQing since the late 60's
My Daughter gifted me with a Weber Pro Kettle/table/Charcoal Grill, retiring my 36" Weber Kettle One Touch, was so impressed with the Heavy Duty Grill, Cast Iron Sear Plate, I redid the same on the old 36 " Weber, and added this gem https://www.amazon.com/Adrenaline-B...&qid=1468371268&sr=8-1&keywords=smoke+n+searm, this is a fantastic, Stainless Steel Cresent shaped charcoal basket, as well as a well for 12oz of water for smoking, pile 5 briquettes in the corner, light and when hot, fill the rest of the Cresent , and enjoy 12 hours of smoke and steam, result Perfection , pork, lamb, turkey, chicken, Cornish Hens, Ribs, sear steaks directly over the coals, AMAZING,AMAZING PRODUCT, WORTH THE INVESTMENT KETTLE OWNERS! MAX OUT YOUR KETTLE FOR SMOKING, (I have no financial investment in that company, just appreciate a quality product) As a retired welder, the 18/10 SS and professional Tig welding is perfection, (prolly machine weld) or a damn good welder! Get what you pay for with this baby

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

ACE83

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Thank you @ACE83. The Baking Steel arrived a few minutes ago. I also ordered a Maestro scale too. I didn't have one so it was a good excuse.

Nice. A scale has helped me take my dough (and general baking) to the next level.

I also use it for making cold brew coffee (90g coffee to 32 oz water, 12-24 hour brew time).
[doublepost=1468375150][/doublepost]Also... Here's some wings I smoked the other day. Tuscan rub, hickory smoke, about 2 hours at 225F. They came out really nice but next time I'd like to get the temp closer to a solid 200.

image.jpeg

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Those look perfect @ACE83! Seriously beautiful! Was that mostly indirect then direct at the end? Can you give me a few more details? I want to do that.

ACE83

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Buffalo, NY

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Hi @ACE83 - Glad you're enjoying it. What have you made so far? I have a couple friends who use and really like the iGrill. I wish I had looked at them more closely before buying something else.

I use a Maverick to monitor the temp and a DigiQ DX2 to regular the pit temp.
I ordered this package today:

https://bbqguru.com/storenav/gurucookerguide?DeviceModelId=21&kitId=106

Do I need anything else to get the DigiQ up and running? As I have mentioned, I already have the iGrill2 and Maverick as a backup.

IMG_1570u_130592524900900046.jpg

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
@Uofmtiger - congratulations! Nope, that's all you need. Does it come with the six foot cables? I don't think mine did, so I ordered them afterwards.

I just set up the DigiQ to maintain my pit temp by attaching the alligator clip to the rack. Since I don't have an iGrill I set up the Maverick's pit thermometer so I can monitor the grill from anywhere I go in the house.

I rarely use a meat probe since I know the approximate timing of things and just use the thermo-pen as I approach it. Overnight cook's I use the Maverick's meat probe.

This just arrived yesterday. I plan to give it a try.

image.jpeg

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
@Uofmtiger - congratulations! Nope, that's all you need. Does it come with the six foot cables? I don't think mine did, so I ordered them afterwards.

I just set up the DigiQ to maintain my pit temp by attaching the alligator clip to the rack. Since I don't have an iGrill I set up the Maverick's pit thermometer so I can monitor the grill from anywhere I go in the house.

I rarely use a meat probe since I know the approximate timing of things and just use the thermo-pen as I approach it. Overnight cook's I use the Maverick's meat probe.

This just arrived yesterday. I plan to give it a try.

View attachment 641172
Yes, I believe it does come with the cables. Thanks for the info.

I have wanted one for a while and decided to finally pull the trigger on it. I had thought about getting the CyberQ, but the price is higher and it looks like a lot of work setting up Ad Hoc networks, opening ports on the router, etc. I have done that in the past, but it is a headache I didn't want to deal with.

What is in the picture?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Yes, I believe it does come with the cables. Thanks for the info.

I have wanted one for a while and decided to finally pull the trigger on it. I had thought about getting the CyberQ, but the price is higher and it looks like a lot of work setting up Ad Hoc networks, opening ports on the router, etc. I have done that in the past, but it is a headache I didn't want to deal with.

What is in the picture?

My Digi-Q came with three foot cables which work fine but six footers were better for me. I'm glad they include six foot now.

I'm serious I rely on the digi-q and now I can focus on important things like mixing drinks and pouring beer.

I felt exactly the same way about the Cyber..price and set up turned me off.

The picture is a probe tree ($15). The tree has silicone base that wedges in the rack. Instead of attaching the probes to the grill rack the probes attach to the silicone tabs. It's "suppose" to give more accurate temp readings but I'm not sure I care too much because experience has taught me to set my digi-q to a certain temp already. It's just an inexpensive product I thought I'd try.

Reactions: Uofmtiger

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The picture is a probe tree ($15). The tree has silicone base that wedges in the rack. Instead of attaching the probes to the grill rack the probes attach to the silicone tabs. It's "suppose" to give more accurate temp readings but I'm not sure I care too much because experience has taught me to set my digi-q to a certain temp already. It's just an inexpensive product I thought I'd try.
I haven't seen them before, but I may look into them after I use the DigiQ a few times.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I grill my wings a little until I get some char, then fry them in a wok fryer I bought for such a purpose, and then toss them in my homemade sauce. Ideally you want to lightly dredge the wings post charring in some type of mixture to fry in. You get a nice char flavor, plus fully cooked thanks to frying. It's a double flavor sensation. Also incredibly labor intensive.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I grill my wings a little until I get some char, then fry them in a wok fryer I bought for such a purpose, and then toss them in my homemade sauce. Ideally you want to lightly dredge the wings post charring in some type of mixture to fry in. You get a nice char flavor, plus fully cooked thanks to frying. It's a double flavor sensation. Also incredibly labor intensive.

I recently had some wings from a restaurant that were done similarly but I'm not sure. I'm at work and want to read this more carefully. I'd like to ask more questions. Thank you.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I recently had some wings from a restaurant that was done similarly but in not sure. I'm at work and want to read this more carefully. I'd like to ask more questions. Thank you.
I like using a panko and flour mixture. It gives it good nooks and crannies for sauce adherence. Brining prevents them from drying out fast. My sauce isn't a secret, but I do use a lot of clarified butter in it making it rich and heavy. Wings were never a diet food, so why make them healthy? LOL

The flour and panko also allow the sauce to thicken up a little and prevent separation. My method makes it like good fries from a burger place. Crispy on the outside, lush on the inside. And they'll remain crispy for a few hours before the sauce makes quick work of them. The charring provides a nice flavor when you bite in. I've done grilled wings and then dumped them into sauce to sit, but I feel my method is way more hygienic and safe. I never mess with chicken.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
How did you do the Porterhouse?

Thanks. SV @ 132F for 2.5 hours (it was only 3/4 inch thick) then seasoned and tossed it on the grill to sear.

The meat was on sale. I much prefer ribeye and tenderloin. But my butcher has been carrying a wagyu NY that's out of this world. Better than a ribeye.

Sorry to change topics, but the crab cakes were really good. I've never tried doing them before. Very very easy. I included some Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning that added a nice subtle kick.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Thanks. SV @ 132F for 2.5 hours (it was only 3/4 inch thick) then seasoned and tossed it on the grill to sear.

The meat was on sale. I much prefer ribeye and tenderloin. But my butcher has been carrying a wagyu NY that's out of this world. Better than a ribeye.

Sorry to change topics, but the crab cakes were really good. I've never tried doing them before. Very very easy. I included some Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning that added a nice subtle kick.

You can sell me on crab cakes, love making them.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
You can sell me on crab cakes, love making them.

I bought a refrigerated crab $15 for 16 oz, I think) then made the rest from scratch. I used egg forms to keep them round.

I'm wide open to trying different styles if you don't mind sharing.
[doublepost=1469322350][/doublepost]
I like using a panko and flour mixture. It gives it good nooks and crannies for sauce adherence. Brining prevents them from drying out fast. My sauce isn't a secret, but I do use a lot of clarified butter in it making it rich and heavy. Wings were never a diet food, so why make them healthy? LOL

The flour and panko also allow the sauce to thicken up a little and prevent separation. My method makes it like good fries from a burger place. Crispy on the outside, lush on the inside. And they'll remain crispy for a few hours before the sauce makes quick work of them. The charring provides a nice flavor when you bite in. I've done grilled wings and then dumped them into sauce to sit, but I feel my method is way more hygienic and safe. I never mess with chicken.

I had some restaurant wings recently that I understand were bbq'd briefly then finished in a pan. I wish I could have gotten details. The seasoning was excellent but the texture of the meat and skin was eye-popping. I'm not exactly sure, but your technique sounds similar and interests me.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
You might try a sauce with them. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.

Remoulade sauce

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sweet relish
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish sauce
Couple dashes of hot sauce
Squeeze of lemon

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I had some restaurant wings recently that I understand were bbq'd briefly then finished in a pan. I wish I could have gotten details. The seasoning was excellent but the texture of the meat and skin was eye-popping. I'm not exactly sure, but your technique sounds similar and interests me.
Sounds like they did it in a cast iron pan. Good for searing and giving texture to meat.

The issue with BBQ'ing chicken is you need to either go at low temp or hot to then to cooler temperatures. Ensuring the meat is moist and cooked all the way through. Under-cooked chicken is more common with thighs, bone in, and wings. Sometimes drumsticks. You won't get sick from it, but it's just a bit bloody at the joints. And it'll have a bitter flavor. At the height of heat, chicken goes in first for me and then to the side to slowly cook through. That way you get crispy skin, moist meat and everything's cooked all the way though. Chicken skin, much like beef fat, is incredibly flammable. Lamb fat is different, it simply melts. I made a tri tip recently with fat cap on. Scored it and cooked it cap side up until the fat was warm and malleable, then seared it on a hot pan and then put it back on the grill. No smoking or grease fires.

Covered it in large, thick flake salt and seasoning for about 4 hours in the fridge and an hour or so to warm up outside. The meat had the right amount of salt, it was tender thanks to osmosis and it was perfectly seasoned throughout, so a dry brine.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I just set up the DigiQ to maintain my pit temp by attaching the alligator clip to the rack.

Has anyone else had issues with the alligator clip coming off the probe. I have lost a couple of them and now when a cook is finished I just pull the clip off (it's that loose) and toss it in the storage tote I use. If I leave it on the probe it will disappear.

On the other hand, I love this product. I had some friends in town a couple of weeks ago and they could not believe I put a 10lb brisket on the BGE, fired up the Digi-Q and we left for the day. Came home and the pit temp was right where I set it. One of them has since purchased their own BGE. This happens when you eat 3 dinners off of it in 3 days.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I've had them get loose but I don't think they've fallen off. I've char'd them badly before due to carelessness. I keep two six foot replacement cables on hand and swap out them when the current cable becomes suspect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.