Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
no chance the 5.5" launches the same time, even with limited quantities

there have been ZERO fully assembled and at this stage millions of iphone 6 should have already been fully assembled and ready to ship out to the world

http://i.imgur.com/jE1lXwQ.png

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You've got pedantic down pat too :D.

Dont be so literal. I'm kidding of course, I just thought it was clear what i meant.

Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves. Apple is frequently said to be "hyping" products, even ones they don't acknowledge exist. If the word is used anywhere close its actual meaning, this is sort of impossible. The "hype" is in reality coming from everywhere but Apple.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
No it's not

Well I have seen you say it around 20 times in 24 hours - that's a little bit silly, really. I mean no - it's not the end of the world, but if you want people not to think you're totally daft, I would consider forming some more meaningful sentences - make sense? :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I can't remember the last time the entire front page of Apple's website was taken over by a countdown to a special event. Based on what Cook has done in the past I'm inclined to think this event will be huge and it's not just hype.

Well again, hype is short for hyperbole, and that word refers to the making of exaggerated claims. Perhaps Apple is making exaggerated claims about their upcoming event, just by acknowledging that it is coming. Maybe it isn't going to happen at all.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well I have seen you say it around 20 times in 24 hours - that's a little bit silly, really. I mean no - it's not the end of the world, but if you want people not to think you're totally daft, I would consider forming some more meaningful sentences - make sense? :)

I've been on these forums for years. I'm more than capable of many things. If you perceive it as daft so be it.

In less than 17 hours my body will be ready

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Here's hoping for Pre-Orders...

Crossing my fingers. I really would rather wait at home for FedEx to arrive instead of waisting a day standing in line.

----------

Please let there be a 4". Please let there be a 4". Please let there be a 4".

I want a large phones but I have a couple friends that want a 4" and won't by the iPhone 6 if it only has a large screen. However we have not seen any leaks of a 4" so there's a good chance 4.7" will be the smallest.

----------

Until I see a 5.5" iPhone on tomorrows Keynote, I won't believe on exists.

I know always the skeptic. :)

You could say the same for the 4.7" as well.

----------

I want Apple to offer preorders with delivery on the first day. I don't think I want to camp outside an Applestore again. It's cruel and crazy...

It's not that much to ask and it would show a little bit of respect...

I think it will come down to how many units they have ready. Perhaps the 4.7" will be available for pre-order but the 5.5" won't.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Apple is perfect at this.....creating demand with scarcity. Last year everyone wanted the 5S (especially the gold one) and nobody wanted the 5C. This year everyone will want the large one since it it scarce! Guess what, Apple is creating demand for the higher margin devices by releasing 2 and making one seem harder to get! So glad I'm a stockholder as well as a customer! :)

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
For most of the year I declared firmly that the 5.5" would not be announced in September, that there was no way. It's not Apple's style for such a small event.

This is clearly not "such a small event" and after all this time convincing my self that it was "time" to go with and accept a larger phone (4.7"), the rumour machine has got me fever pitch so bad, that I'm not even contemplating anything aside from the 5.5. I will be there, on launch day at my nearest Telstra store lining up from a "reasonable" time prior to the store opening and enjoying the time difference between Australian and the ROTW (aside from NZ).

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Proper. You live in an odd one size fits all world.

The right size fits all. There could be more than one right size for a product. But there are wrong sizes. Steve Jobs understood this and could say "**** off the wrong sized ****". It seems few people left at Apple have the wang to do this anymore.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I'm very conflicted on which one to choose.

My first instinct is that the 5.5 is too big for a phone and my pocket. Will it really comfortably fit in my pocket? Also, will I be embarrassed to use it in some situations? It wouldn't be very discreet using such a large device for a quick second.

On the opposite side of that, Apple seems to be positioning the 5.5 as their gem, top of the line. That makes me want it.

Furthermore, my old grandfathered unlimited data would be pretty nice on the 5.5. A 5.5 device would be pretty good for consuming and some creating when away from home, with unlimited data.

The 4.7 will feel like a slightly upgraded iPhone. It would be better, but probably feel more like a bump. It would serve great as a phone, but is it enough of a jump when the 5.5 will offer much more? After all, these carrier upgrades don't happen too often! Time for me to decide!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I'm very conflicted on which one to choose.

My first instinct is that the 5.5 is too big for a phone and my pocket. Will it really comfortably fit in my pocket? Also, will I be embarrassed to use it in some situations? It wouldn't be very discreet using such a large device for a quick second.

On the opposite side of that, Apple seems to be positioning the 5.5 as their gem, top of the line. That makes me want it.

Furthermore, my old grandfathered unlimited data would be pretty nice on the 5.5. A 5.5 device would be pretty good for consuming and some creating when away from home, with unlimited data.

The 4.7 will feel like a slightly upgraded iPhone. It would be better, but probably feel more like a bump. It would serve great as a phone, but is it enough of a jump when the 5.5 will offer much more? After all, these carrier upgrades don't happen too often! Time for me to decide!

5,5" will look and feel ridiculous on any man's pocket. If you don't mind that then of course you will enjoy the device and its big screen.
4,7" hits the sweet spot for me and is my ideal size for a smartphone. Anything else above it stops being a phone, and becomes a phablet. You will have to ask yourself if you want a smartphone or a phablet, or maybe both..

I know for sure, that I want a 4,7" smartphone. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy a 5,5" phablet, but only as a replacement for my iPad..nothing more..

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
5.5" = I come back to iPhone for the first time in 2 years, after having owned every iPhone since the first.

They just kept regurgitating the same model over and over (even though the the 5 & 5S - and 5C - was a *little* taller). I didn't buy them.

Cant believe people would still like to see the regurgitation continue with ANOTHER 4".

BRING ON THE BIG BOYS!!!!!

StarkInc

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
5,5" will look and feel ridiculous on any man's pocket. If you don't mind that then of course you will enjoy the device and its big screen.
4,7" hits the sweet spot for me and is my ideal size for a smartphone. Anything else above it stops being a phone, and becomes a phablet. You will have to ask yourself if you want a smartphone or a phablet, or maybe both..

I know for sure, that I want a 4,7" smartphone. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy a 5,5" phablet, but only as a replacement for my iPad..nothing more..

3,5" (960x640) & 4" (1,136x640) looks and feel ridiculous on any man's/woman`s pocket or hand !!

jrcorwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
The right size fits all. There could be more than one right size for a product. But there are wrong sizes. Steve Jobs understood this and could say "**** off the wrong sized ****". It seems few people left at Apple have the wang to do this anymore.
You took their own homebrewed reasoning on phone size as the gospel. "The right size fits all" only exists now in your eccentric imagination where Jobs rides a gallant unicorn upon an Apple themed cloud to rescue us from a two iPhone size offering purgatory. It's all a grand delusion. There is no one perfect size for every single human. A larger iPhone is in no way a sign of the Apple apocalypse. Step away from your high alert status and rejoin the hive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.