Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncan75

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
The difference in performance between OSX and Windows is pretty significant. I've got the Mac version and am playing it on my 1920x1200 external in native res. I play the demo under Windows bootcamp with the same settings and it feels almost twice as fast. That's not to say they didn't do a good port with the Mac version, because they did, but I'm starting to feel that any of these shooters or newer games that have higher than moderate requirements should probably be played under Windows.

I don't suppose anyone wants to trade a Mac version of NWN2 or something else for my COD4? :) Ah well, it's back in the box at the moment and I've been enjoying the new Prince of Persia under bootcamp.

cobal3

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
This game rocks!!

This game is so cool!!! Did anyone see the new Dark ops gun from Cobalt Flux?? Is it any good??

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
This game is so cool!!! Did anyone see the new Dark ops gun from Cobalt Flux?? Is it any good??

Based on your newbie-ness and the similarity of your username to the company you were talking about - this might be seen as spamming? If so, you are in the wrong place - this is a Mac forum, and you're posting to the Apple games part of the forum, where we are talking about CoD4 for Mac. There's no CoD4 for Wii, and we can't use the Dark Ops gun for Wii with the Mac anyways.

singhy44

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
Well, going by the suggestions of a couple of people here, I bought the game, and the graphics are excellent! Running it at native res (1920x1200), with not quite full settings, but close enough, and it runs buttery smooth. However, how do you get the FPS displayed on the screen?

tokyotony

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
Can other account use COD4?

I've installed the game in my Administrator account. I want to allow my son to use the game from his user account on the same computer. However, when we try to click "New Game", nothing happens.

I also tried installing the COD4 in his Document folder, thinking that may help, but no go.

Any ideas? I don't want him to use my Admin account and go around messing the system up.

Thanks,

Tony

singhy44

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
Can he not access the game from the Applications folder? Ideally, that should be how it works. You install it, and he SHOULD be able to get to it from the Apps folder. Otherwise, install it from his account, and just type in your username and password when required to do so. Good luck.

tokyotony

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
Can he not access the game from the Applications folder? Ideally, that should be how it works. You install it, and he SHOULD be able to get to it from the Apps folder. Otherwise, install it from his account, and just type in your username and password when required to do so. Good luck.

Thanks. He can access the game from the Applications folder. It's just that he cannot start a New Game. Or, sometimes, the game starts, and then suddenly we get an error: "SaveDevice_PC-TempSaveGame:cannot open file for saving".

I tried re-installing from his site. Same problem.

Tony

dslboss

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Can anyone tell me if the game will play correctly in my MacBook? It's a MacBook 3.1; OSX 10.5.5 and I've checked all the system requirements, except the video card, because I don't know how to see that. So, if someone can tell me if the game will play without problems and if my video card supports the game I would appreciate it. Thank you.:apple:

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Can anyone tell me if the game will play correctly in my MacBook? It's a MacBook 3.1; OSX 10.5.5 and I've checked all the system requirements, except the video card, because I don't know how to see that. So, if someone can tell me if the game will play without problems and if my video card supports the game I would appreciate it. Thank you.:apple:

About This Mac -> More Info -> Graphics/Displays.

I think that MacBook 3,1 is 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with Intel GMA, so no, COD4 won't run. At all.

trinitron

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Performance on Mac Pro with x1900 video card

Got this game recently and it is virtually unplayable on my year old Mac Pro with the X1900 video card. This is really disappointing as the X1900 is supposedly supported by COD4 and my machine exceeds minimum requirements by quite a bit.

I guess instead of buying a mac pro and expecting to get professional quality graphics (after paying for a graphic card upgrade) I should have saved a thousand dollars and got a friggin imac.

I have noticed that if i run dual monitors (like usual) the adc adapter thing seems to kill performance quite a bit. Probably time to get rid of the old studio display i guess...

Anybody else have experience with COD4 and the x1900 vid card?

Mac Pro
2 x 2.66 dual core intel
5 GB ram
X1900 video card 512 MB

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
That doesn't sound quite right... I'm playing the game on an iMac 2,4 ghz, 2gb ram, HD 2600 Pro and it's quite playable. Haven't tried on XP yet but I'm sure it runs even better there. Maybe turn off anti-aliasing?

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Got this game recently and it is virtually unplayable on my year old Mac Pro with the X1900 video card. This is really disappointing as the X1900 is supposedly supported by COD4 and my machine exceeds minimum requirements by quite a bit.

I guess instead of buying a mac pro and expecting to get professional quality graphics (after paying for a graphic card upgrade) I should have saved a thousand dollars and got a friggin imac.

I have noticed that if i run dual monitors (like usual) the adc adapter thing seems to kill performance quite a bit. Probably time to get rid of the old studio display i guess...

Anybody else have experience with COD4 and the x1900 vid card?

Mac Pro
2 x 2.66 dual core intel
5 GB ram
X1900 video card 512 MB

I agree that does not sound right at all. I had a P4 single core w/ a x1950pro and had no issues running single player with most settings maxed (no AA of course). Are both your monitors ADC? Are you using one of those apple DVI to ADC adapters? Try it with one monitor alone (preferably a non ADC monitor if you have one), unhook the other one.

topcatdc

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
The solution is pretty easy actually... all you need to do is change the folder access permission for "everyone" from Read only to Read & Write. That should do the trick! Worked for me!:)

topcatdc

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Picked COD4 on Saturday at Fry's. I get the same "not authorized" error. You should definitely go to Aspyr's support website and open a trouble ticket. The louder the complaints, the faster they'll take the issue seriously.

IMO Aspyr has terrible QC if they actually shipped a product that won't install and work on a stock Mac configs. (It's not like the PC world where they have a million different configs to test.)

I suspect the problem is related to the DRM/copy protection, but we'll have to wait for the official word.

In the meantime, has anybody gotten this game to work?

The solution is pretty easy actually... all you need to do is change the folder access permission for "everyone" from Read only to Read & Write. That should do the trick! Worked for me!:)

sarareid

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Hello
I think call of duty 4 works good on Xbox 360.If you want real enjoyment then you should go for Xbox 360.The game is great with new graphic,fighting moves,and more controls.
I think It can be also played on LAN.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
I used to play that on a 2007 Macbook Pro with the 8600 MGT GPU.
I don't know how and if you can compare your GPU to the one my Macbook Pro had,
but it was playable with medium / high settings on 1440x400, just to give you an idea.

On my Mac Pro however this game screams... ;)

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
Don't think so, I don't see any differences.
If you buy CoD4, make sure to get the latest 1.71 Patch.
Improves performance a lot + you need it to play online anyway.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I refuse to use and play on Windows :p

Haha, yeah, I'd kinda like to get a bit more into computer gaming, but I don't want to buy a game I would play a lot in Windows. The only game I play is Counter Strike: Source. Well, I'm considering buying it anyway, but no idea how it would run for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.