Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigRig

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
If you think 30fps is laggy ur on crack...the human eye can't even tell the difference past that...but all in all, 50 is nicer ;)

Chali427

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
Chali, can you please tell us the framerates you're getting? And what settings (low, med, high)?

The only reason I ask is because 30FPS is good to some people, while for others (like me) it's pretty laggy.

I'll only get it if average FPS is 40 (even though acceptable framerates for COD4 is 50+).

I get 60 Hz at high settings

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
If you think 30fps is laggy ur on crack...the human eye can't even tell the difference past that...but all in all, 50 is nicer ;)

this is nonsense. I can clearly see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, so saying that human eye can't tell the difference is just wrong. 60 vs 120 FPS is a bit more tricky, but still possible. Am I not human? :confused:

t19880821

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008

30fps for some games is considered "unplayable" meaning that you won't really be able to enjoy it much. Games like World in Conflict play nice at 30fps and won't hinder gameplay much. But a game like CoD4? Especially when you're playing online, 30fps is way too low. Even for Counter Strike Source you'll be able to tell the difference between 50fps and 30fps. Like I said, it varies between games. For some games you will definitely be able to tell the difference because you'll notice stutters in the animations.

If there's a way you can do it (maybe mess around with the settings), play CoD4 at 30fps. Then change the settings so you can get above 60fps. You'll be able to see the difference. If you can't, then you must be on crack.

BigRig

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
well, if it was easy enough to change settings to get from 30 to 60, why would anyone play @30fps? and...I'm used to playing with anywhere from 7-16fps on this old 1.25 emac, so 30 would be gravy for me =)

I am waiting for my delivery for the 20" Alum with the HD2600 Pro, so I'm kinda excited to see the difference...

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
well, if it was easy enough to change settings to get from 30 to 60, why would anyone play @30fps? and...I'm used to playing with anywhere from 7-16fps on this old 1.25 emac, so 30 would be gravy for me =)

I am waiting for my delivery for the 20" Alum with the HD2600 Pro, so I'm kinda excited to see the difference...

see also topic:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/570929/

Godspeed did some tests on his iMac:
Imac 3.06 8800 4gb ram
COD4 in Windows - 35-60 fps (depending on the level, grass hurts the fps)
COD4 OS X - 30-60 fps

The 30-60 thing... once you are used to 60 and you have to play with < 30
it always feels like something is not running well.

SArcher07

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2007
COD4 Maps 4 Mac, Where do I get them?

I'm looking for COD4 Maps for the Mac. I had them for COD2. I found a few sites and downloaded them but they don't work, maybe their PC based. Maybe I'm installing them wrong. Anyone can help?

Thanks

BigRig

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Anyone know how to use keybinds in COD4? you know, like setting ur "Z" key to say "Tango Down" or whatever sayings are in the game?

Thanks for the help if you can!!!

mystic33

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Has anyone tried to play CoD4 on a Lan using 2 iMacs?

I and my wife both have iMacs (24" & 20", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 500 GB disk).
My 24" plays on the internet easily and in single player I can run CoD4 at 1900x1200 and it flies. On the net at 1200x1024 I get fps's from 25-70 depending on the smoke, number of people, and the country the server originates.

However, I cannot get the 2 macs connected on my lan so that the wife and I can play against each other. I have tried just about everything. The server starts fine on my machine, but I cannot see my server from her machine. She can connect to all the internet servers with no problem.

Does anyone have a clue to what might be wrong? Is it a security setting that is not proper, or permission problems, or the iMac firewall?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mystic33

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I and my wife both have iMacs (24" & 20", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 500 GB disk).
My 24" plays on the internet easily and in single player I can run CoD4 at 1900x1200 and it flies. On the net at 1200x1024 I get fps's from 25-70 depending on the smoke, number of people, and the country the server originates.

However, I cannot get the 2 macs connected on my lan so that the wife and I can play against each other. I have tried just about everything. The server starts fine on my machine, but I cannot see my server from her machine. She can connect to all the internet servers with no problem.

Does anyone have a clue to what might be wrong? Is it a security setting that is not proper, or permission problems, or the iMac firewall?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mystic33

How did you connect them?

mystic33

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
They are connected by ethernet through a BEFSR41 LinkSys router. I haven't tried to connect wireless. We have no trouble communicating through ethernet with any file transfers etc.

skeley69

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2003
England, UK
hey all

loving my new macbook! bought cod4 great game!

been getting into multiplayer now, one little think i need explaining...
when im playing for opfor, why are my weapons showing as marine ones and not opfor ones? surely its not suppose to be like that?

and yes ive updated with the 1.7 patch

thanks

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Rocks on my PC ;) Highest settings, no lag.

Originally bought it for my Mac in bootcamp, bit of a difference in performance.

MrBean

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
hey all

loving my new macbook! bought cod4 great game!

been getting into multiplayer now, one little think i need explaining...
when im playing for opfor, why are my weapons showing as marine ones and not opfor ones? surely its not suppose to be like that?

and yes ive updated with the 1.7 patch

thanks

Actually the weapons are static to your profile. As you level you will unlock other weapons, both opfor and SAS/Marines.

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
30fps for some games is considered "unplayable" meaning that you won't really be able to enjoy it much. Games like World in Conflict play nice at 30fps and won't hinder gameplay much. But a game like CoD4? Especially when you're playing online, 30fps is way too low. Even for Counter Strike Source you'll be able to tell the difference between 50fps and 30fps. Like I said, it varies between games. For some games you will definitely be able to tell the difference because you'll notice stutters in the animations.

If there's a way you can do it (maybe mess around with the settings), play CoD4 at 30fps. Then change the settings so you can get above 60fps. You'll be able to see the difference. If you can't, then you must be on crack.

True. 30fps is an average usually, so there are times when it peaks at 45fps, and there are times when it dips into the high teens.

That's why most gamers shoot for 60fps average, so that when it dips into the 40's, it is still above that 30fps threshold that the eye can see.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Just a qucik question how do I see my frame rate in COD4? I have no idea how to do it so any help would be appreciated

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
this is nonsense. I can clearly see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, so saying that human eye can't tell the difference is just wrong. 60 vs 120 FPS is a bit more tricky, but still possible. Am I not human? :confused:

All in your head. You think there is a difference therefore you see a difference. Do a blind testing and then tell the difference between them.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
All in your head. You think there is a difference therefore you see a difference. Do a blind testing and then tell the difference between them.

I see the difference. Doesn't take super-eyes to do that. The smoother movement in 60 FPS vs 30 FPS is clearly seen.

If you stare at a scene with zero or very little action, telling 30 and 60 apart is harder, yes.

But load up some FPS game and move the camera around - you will see the difference.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I play cod uo and I was playing on a zombie server today and 30/40 fps looked very very smooth. The only time it was bad was when it was 18-25 fps but I never get 60 fps anymore so I don't know what it's like.

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
this game is worth buying and lots of people are playing it on line, it's far from being dead. The fact that the game is multiplatform (PC/Mac) helps too :)

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
not sure how the servers work exactly...but i use the same 4-5 and there always seems to be the full 25-30 people... saturdays are usally tough to find a spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.