Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekkang

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
does anyone play COD4 using crossover?

i know that cod4 mac edtion is crappy and runs slow, but will it run fine on pc version with crossover?

optyks

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
What the ****! I jsut ordered COD 4 from an online seller. Brand new, never opened, got it, and I'm getting that ****ing error that says "Not Authorized."

Reading back through this thread, it's understandable if this was back in September when a few other people on here were having issues, but SERIOUSLY, the games been out for how long now?

We should be credited 3 free downloads of any games we want for this crap.

EDIT:
I just sent aspyr a ticket claiming:

"
What the hell, Aspyr. I"ve heard of some people having this issue after installing the game on an intel mac, but that was MONTHS ago. I just bought a brand new copy of COD4 and its giving me this error. How do you even release a game without checking that it works on the platform you release it for? It doesnt take a degree to do so. I'm pretty unhappy, and know others are. I would like free shipping and a replacement disk that works."

OneShotos

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I would like to set up a CoD4 server with bots. I don't need to broadcast, just to be able to practice and learn the Maps. Dang IBM'ers have had the game for more than a year over Mac users. :mad:

Can someone explain to me step by step the settup and files need for setting up a in house Mac practice server with bots. Thanks

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
Pezbot is what you need

I would like to set up a CoD4 server with bots. I don't need to broadcast, just to be able to practice and learn the Maps. Dang IBM'ers have had the game for more than a year over Mac users. :mad:

Can someone explain to me step by step the settup and files need for setting up a in house Mac practice server with bots. Thanks

It's been a while, but I've gotten CoD4 to work with bots on the Mac. Google Pezbot and you'll be able to play with bots. I don't remember much about setting it up, but might be able to help if needed.

Cheers!

UofUAnth*Mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Woods Cross, UT
Snow Leopard Issues

Has anyone else had any audio problems in CoD4 since upgrading to Snow Leopard? During gameplay the audio cuts out terribly and frequently. I had no issues when running the game in Leopard. Any suggestions? I'm hoping Aspyr is working on a patch, if that's even the problem.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but wow the new iMac i7 is really handling COD4 like it's a piece of cake. Totally playable in 1440p all maxed out, and a very smooth framerate in1080p even with 4x antialias.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but wow the new iMac i7 is really handling COD4 like it's a piece of cake. Totally playable in 1440p all maxed out, and a very smooth framerate in1080p even with 4x antialias.

Is that the Mac version? And what frame rate are you getting on average in multiplayer? Press ` and type in /cg_drawFPS 1 to find out :) I wasn't going to buy the Mac version because of all the bad things people say about it, but if in multiplayer you get at least 60 FPS all the time, except when there is a lot of smoke etc, it might be worth getting.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Is that the Mac version? And what frame rate are you getting on average in multiplayer? Press ` and type in /cg_drawFPS 1 to find out :) I wasn't going to buy the Mac version because of all the bad things people say about it, but if in multiplayer you get at least 60 FPS all the time, except when there is a lot of smoke etc, it might be worth getting.

Oh it's the Mac version and certainly near or above 60 fps most of the time (depends if your in a full 60 player game or with only 16). The i7 run this game like butter.

I'm currently playing maxed out in 1080p and 4x antialias without any glitch, and I use to be quite a hardcore gamer, I know it's not below 30-40 fps. I'll try your command and get back to you. Oh and that's in a 28 player games. Basically, the fps drop near 30 in the direction of the heavy fire, else it's a perfect constant 60.

(currently stuck on a loading screen, the modded map takes over 300 megs of data...)

Tested: 1920x1080 all settings maxed out 4x anti-alias, constant 60fps (cap), when in heavy fire with copter it can drop to 30fps for a fraction of a second as you fire. The i7 loads maps in a few seconds.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Sorry, I had Vsync on, this is why my framerate was only alternating between 60 and 30.

It average around 70-90fps and drops between 40-60 (on crossfire) only in the most dense battle with lots of player, that is in 2560x1440 max settings, no antialias. In all honesty, it's quite breathtaking :cool:

Let me try it with 4x antialias in 1440p

Edit, haha I can't believe this, but it wont drop under 30. 1440p with 4x antialias, all maxed out on crossfire, average 38-50 fps, in the 30s when the aiming blur comes in. Looks amazing btw.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Well that's good! I was considering buying the Mac version now, and so I can play it in the future when I get my i7 iMac, but I heard bad things about it and though I would get crappy FPS. But thanks so much for that, I might just have to buy it now.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Well that's good! I was considering buying the Mac version now, and so I can play it in the future when I get my i7 iMac, but I heard bad things about it and though I would get crappy FPS. But thanks so much for that, I might just have to buy it now.

yeah it's really fast, I made an error however, while the effects were on max, the textures were on normal, not "extra". calculate a slight drop in fps if you use extra and anti-aliasing. There is a compromize to make somewhere, but it still looks amazing.

Edit: with the normal maps and specular on normal, textures on high, I get 50-90 fps in 1440p all maxed out. (and still a drop to the 30s when aiming because of the deep of field - which curiously does not change the framerate in 1080p)

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I don't use AA, and I can stand a couple of settings going down for mostly 60 FPS. Kinda sucks about the drop while ADS though.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
I don't use AA, and I can stand a couple of settings going down for mostly 60 FPS. Kinda sucks about the drop while ADS though.

Just found my perfect settings:

All effect maxed out except smoke edge smoothing
Textures maxed out
1080p with 2x antialias.

Looks amazing and is very stable between 45-65fps (less frame rate variation)

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Just found my perfect settings:

All effect maxed out except smoke edge smoothing
Textures maxed out
1080p with 2x antialias.

Looks amazing and is very stable between 45-65fps (less frame rate variation)

Aww, but then you don't get the awesome 1440P resolution :(. Does 1080P still look good?

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Aww, but then you don't get the awesome 1440P resolution :(. Does 1080P still look good?

It's hard to see the difference, I just prefer with antialias. You can easily get the same framerate in 1440p without the antialias and dropping a setting somewhere. I just that one also because the fps do not change with the field depth (it somehow drops a bit in 1440p).

BTW this screen is really something special. Using inferior resolution does not create the strange blur all previous LCD I possessed had before. Amazing screen.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
I'd probably turn depth of field off then. Your eyes make everything blurry except what you look at anyway.

You gain a good 15fps in 1440p that way. The textures on "extra" in that resolution are really nice and worth reducing an effect or so.

Anyway, moral of the story is, the i7 is a beast: you may want to install windows and get MW2 instead. I'm starting to think about it.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
But MW2 has no recoil, no bullet spread, too many kill streaks which makes the whole game about killstreaks and no custom maps or dedicated servers.

I can buy the Mac version brand new for about the price of the PC version over here in Australia, and the Mac serial key works in Windows, so if I don't like the Mac performance, I can just borrow my friends Windows discs and play it that way.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
But MW2 has no recoil, no bullet spread, too many kill streaks which makes the whole game about killstreaks and no custom maps or dedicated servers.

I can buy the Mac version brand new for about the price of the PC version over here in Australia, and the Mac serial key works in Windows, so if I don't like the Mac performance, I can just borrow my friends Windows discs and play it that way.

I most agree specially with the too many killstreaks. Can't it be disable on pc?

I have it on ps3 anyway, it just I wanted to see how the iMac would run games, and apparently, it does so quite well. 2560x1440 is a bit of an overkill however if you want everything maxed out.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Here, I managed to take a screenshot for you of what it looks like.

This is 1440p with 4x antialias, no depth of field, the rest on max, totally playable (40-60 fps).

Click on it and use the zoom tool to see full size:

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Looks good, I so need money for the i7 :(. I'll buy the game soonish, after I get BC2. Why do I keep having to look at stuff about the i7 iMac, my 20" looks so outdated compared.

EDIT: Does your FPS drop heaps when you zoom in with a sniper? In COD2 I lose about half my frames when I zoom in, it sucks.

Tennessee

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
TENNESSEE
lol

lets see...oddly enough, I have an HP notebook, with 4 gigs , 2.0 ghz, ATI 3200HD running win7, and an older c2d polycarbonate iMac, 17inch, 2.0 ghz, 1 gig ,ATI X-1600, running SL, the HP lags a lot even during single player, but the ol' iMac runs very well on both SP and MP...By the way, its a great game, the mac port is just as fun (even better) than the PC version...

SyncFx

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No, you can't disable anything, because there are no dedicated servers. It is basically the exact same as the PS3 version.

lol wut

There a couple servers that are not disabled, but if you kill people with lets say noob tube or Marty, you'll be kicked from the server.

All multiplayer server listed are pretty much dedicated. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.