Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9:41-10:09

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2021
I was really into collecting iPods about five years ago. I had at least one of every model except for the iPod touch. I ended up selling them all except one, a new in box 1st gen shuffle. I kind of regret getting rid of the mini’s… I had a complete set!

19AFDABE-A63F-424C-B579-32EF21B7E9BE.jpeg

Applicator

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2021
Germany
Me too. Still searching for a golden one with box for an adequate price.
It's crazy, but somehow the iPod mini became my favorite over time 🤷‍♂️.

Here's a quick photo of my collection:
C31D0F4A-E534-4E64-8183-C9ED0FB19621.jpeg

There are boxes for most of them in the basement plus a lot of accessories (in original box as well).
All of them are in working condition and being charged regularly.

I'l add a second showcase in the future. the upper levels of this one are already occupied by 1:18 model cars

Classic_Wax

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2021
Hey folks! I'm new to MacRumors (or, rather, I haven't used it in about a decade and lost track of my login), so excuse me for any lapses in etiquette unique to this forum.

Anywho, I have one of the old and very rare 10gb 2nd gen iPods with the collectible Billie Holiday box. Both the box and the ipod itself are in outstanding condition. I've held onto it for years out of love for the nostalgia it gives, but am ready to part ways with it.

I used to look at completed listings for them on eBay every year or two out of curiosity to see how much they were going for, and I recall the range being pretty wide (anywhere from a couple hundred bucks for one in terrible condition to thousands of dollars for a NIB one). But, I just tried this today and the only result (for as far back into the past as eBay was willing to let me search) was for an empty box, no iPod (went for about 70 bucks!).

So, any thoughts as to what it might be worth nowadays? And would eBay by the right place to sell it, or are forums like this the best way to reach interested collectors?

Many thanks,
Michael
Do you still have this?

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Me too. Still searching for a golden one with box for an adequate price.
It's crazy, but somehow the iPod mini became my favorite over time ?‍♂️.

Here's a quick photo of my collection:
View attachment 1819592

There are boxes for most of them in the basement plus a lot of accessories (in original box as well).
All of them are in working condition and being charged regularly.

I'l add a second showcase in the future. the upper levels of this one are already occupied by 1:18 model cars
Nice collection, my friend!

Reactions: Applicator

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
The funny thing is, this offer popped up only a few miles away from where I live. Just crazy!
Great score. My area, when something still has the box the only thing it's good for is that the contents of the box are probably in good shape, the boxes themselves are always destroyed. Oftentimes water gets to them around here. I found a nice iMac G4 1.25 GHz recently in the box, but the box was completely falling apart that even lifting it was causing the bottom to break. Computer itself was mint condition, keyboard was white still. Sadly someone snatched it while I was going home to get my card (forget these things at the worst times).

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Already had a 128GB Blue unit, and didn't see the point of buying the same model again honestly.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I came really close to purchasing an iPod Touch when they were discontinued, but I honestly don't have any use for it. If I could think of a use-case for one, I'd pull the trigger right away. It makes sense as to why they were discontinued, unfortunately. :(

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Friends and family call my office the Apple graveyard, but I like to think of it more like a museum. Random iPods, Macs, and Apple gadgets littering various shelves throughout the room. Each one with its own story, each representing a time capsule representing a certain time and stage of life. Love throwing an iPod onto the Hi Fi and hitting shuffle to see when it transports me to. Not every generation of iPod represented here, but almost.

IMG_5190.jpeg
IMG_5192.jpeg
IMG_5195.jpeg
IMG_5197.jpeg
IMG_5198.jpeg

ivyagogo

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2022
I have decided to sell my limited edition Harry Potter iPod. It will turn on, but it won't stay on. Contact me if you're interested. I'll take offers for the next week.

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpg
    IMG_3001.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2998.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 105

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
WOW!!! I created this thread 15 years ago and its been years since I have seen it. Glad to see some collector's still out there.

Everyone jumping in on the last iPod ever before they sell out?
On my quest to find my old ipod touch 4 with no success i stumbled upon a greater find, the old ipod classic 6th gen, oh it's super messed up but I didn't know how hard it was to find replacement parts for it.

I had to make a hard choice, I love the black but they ran out of black parts and had to get them all in silver. I wanted to upgrade the ssd but ehhh I can manage as is already haha.

Listening to the ipod classic as is, the music plays more raw and vibrant than an iphone and for once I don't have to wonder if the next ad will kill my ears just by swiping up a website. lolol

I just ordered the parts and we will see, i want to restore this bad boy back to almost new.

What this forum did to me is make me regret giving all my old apple devices to my ex’s wife family. Somehow the iPod and iPhone 4s survived but giving new life to the 4s and finding my old games has been a humbling experience to say the least.

The irony of this post is that I just literally ordered a Shure TW2 to replace my TW1 for enhanced bluetooth EQ settings but once I plugged the analog earphones to this ipod bad boy, I started on the quest I mentioned earlier on trying to restore this bad boy back up lol

Attachments

• 8E59FBB3-76B9-4CE3-AE61-801FA62E80E5.jpeg
    8E59FBB3-76B9-4CE3-AE61-801FA62E80E5.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

podpod

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
dear collectors, just bought an ipod photo and it´s normally has model-no M9829 but this one says P9829? Why is that? can´t find any info about this? Anyone here knows what "p" stands for?

485597357_debcfb83-414c-4bae-aa32-c64d5d5f7ef1.jpg

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
All I can find was an offer in regards to student discounts from the apple website from wayback when:

Buy a qualifying iBook, iMac, PowerBook, or Power Mac computer and an iPod...

Products must be purchased from the Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, an Apple retail store, Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus Reseller located in the United States or District of Columbia.

QUALIFYING PRODUCTS: Apple iMac, iBook, PowerBook, or Power Mac purchases qualify for this offer. The eMac and Mac mini product families are excluded from this offer. The 12-inch iBook with CD-ROM drive is also excluded from this offer. iPod, iPod mini, and iPod photo qualify for this offer. iPod shuffle is excluded from this offer. (Qualifying iPod Part Numbers: M9829/P9829, M9802/P9802, M9800/P9800, M9804/P9804, M9806/P9806, M9801/P9801, M9803/P9803, M9805/P9805, M9807/P9807, M9830/P9830, M9282/P9282, MA079/PA079). This offer is not valid with the purchase of used equipment, reconditioned equipment, demonstration units, or refurbished equipment.

You must purchase all qualifying Apple products at the same time on the same sales receipt to be eligible for the mail-in rebate. The mail-in rebate is good for up to $179 off of a qualified purchase. Rebate amount is not to exceed the sales price of the iPod excluding sales tax.

Reactions: podpod

podpod

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Thanks, well i was thinking in that direction as well (student offer) or if the "p" was linked to "pc" ?. btw, this one has engraving on the backside.

Reactions: Apleeseed84

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Thanks, well i was thinking in that direction as well (student offer) or if the "p" was linked to "pc" ?. btw, this one has engraving on the backside.
It’s simpler than you think
M-new devices
F- refurbished
N-replacement(original model sent in to apple and was requested by customer to get it replaced)
P- personalized at time of purchase.

The engraving on the side validates it.
😉

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.