Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Even still, unemployment is the sort of thing people like to moan about but everyone on here would take advantage of if they suddenly lost their job and were unable to find work. People only care about these things when it happens to them, and they think it never will.

Not me. Not so far, and it's come up twice. Unemployment pays so little it's far more worth it to find a job. Both times I had a temp job within 2 weeks. And it's not like I'm dropping from CEO money to unemployment, I'm well under $100k salary.

Ma1Garv

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Boston
worship

Bow down and worship at the Apple alter.

These folks are nuts, get a job.

The Police need to clear the sidewalks.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Samsung may make fun of it, but they wish they had customers willing to line up for a product that hasn't been announced yet.

Still, this is monumentally dumb. I could see camping out a day or two before the launch, if one were truly that determined, but two weeks? Apple isn't going to run out, if these people simply waited until, say, the 18th and got in line.

As for people whining about how the 5S won't be a big enough upgrade over the 5, go away already. For one thing, you have no idea what the specs will be. But more importantly, most people buying the 5S will be upgrading from the 4S or older, or buying their very first iPhone. There's this thing, perhaps you've heard of it, called a 2-year contract.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Unless these people are in line as part of the "Un-boxing" and "Tear-down" Website or media crowd, who must have whatever is released on the first day, this is really sad.

I remember in the UK in 2007, there was over hype about the iPhone and limited supply. I walked into my Local shop day after launch and asked in a pretend, not-bothered-if-you-don't-have-it way and walked out with my new iPhone.

These day's it is a little different, but now you can just pre-order if you want it on release day. I did this with my 4GS.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World

Attachments

• iphone-launch-sheep.png
    iphone-launch-sheep.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 158

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Really? The 4S had a better processor (A5), better camera (8 megapixels), Siri, and a slightly better battery. The 5S will have a better processor (A7), better camera (12 megapixels), better flash (dual), new colors (champagne and graphite), Fingerprint sensor, slightly better battery, better front facing camera (2 megapixels).

So, it seems that the 5S will pack a lot more from the 5 then the 4S did for the 4.

But still, none of the new features is something I couldn't live without. Or what would make me go camping outside an Apple store for two weeks.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Samsung may make fun of it, but they wish they had customers willing to line up for a product that hasn't been announced yet.

I doubt it. The percentage of total sales by these mindless lemmings is minuscule.

Still, this is monumentally dumb. I could see camping out a day or two before the launch, if one were truly that determined, but two weeks? Apple isn't going to run out, if these people simply waited until, say, the 18th and got in line.

Considering the "S" model is historically not revolutionary, one really has to question the reason to wait so long for one.

As for people whining about how the 5S won't be a big enough upgrade over the 5, go away already. For one thing, you have no idea what the specs will be. But more importantly, most people buying the 5S will be upgrading from the 4S or older, or buying their very first iPhone. There's this thing, perhaps you've heard of it, called a 2-year contract.

Sounds like you're already making excuses for lower sales of the 5S and/or reasons people are NOT going upgrade to it. I guess in 3 days, you can come back here with a big "I told you so!" or come back for a public tongue lashing! Nobody knows for sure, even yourself.

alexdoster29

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
who knows

now why would u give up your bed to sleep on the street for a materialistic product yes i am an apple fan but not stupid enough to do that sort of thing patience is a virtue and like a lot of people say we just don't know what is going to happen with the new iphone 5s or 5c or 6 because none of them exist it is just speculation and rumours unless someone has hard proof then its all speculation really look at it logically amazon threatning to give out free smartphones unless apple drop prices the whole situation with people on the streets who have been queing for weeks is ridiculous we just don't know what is going to happen

agentcircus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2009
The only thing I would camp out for is the new Surface Mini Phone Edition, which is going to destroy the iPhone. The iPhone's reign (or lack thereof), is over. The iPhone 5C is the same garbage as what's currently out, with a new disposable plastic case. Why these people would camp out for it is beyond me.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Guys... this isn't 2007/8 anymore... you can order your iPhones online and have them on your doorstep on launch day now.

I'm sure they know that. Probably more about having a two-week party and meeting new people.

----------

The only thing I would camp out for is the new Surface Mini Phone Edition, which is going to destroy the iPhone. The iPhone's reign (or lack thereof), is over. The iPhone 5C is the same garbage as what's currently out, with a new disposable plastic case. Why these people would camp out for it is beyond me.

surface mini phone killing iPhone. hahaha. just like the surface destroyed the iPad. :rolleyes:

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Guys... this isn't 2007/8 anymore... you can order your iPhones online and have them on your doorstep on launch day now.

but if you have a company, blog, or service to promote... being at the front is free advertising when you get interviewed by the media.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
I'm sure they know that. Probably more about having a two-week party and meeting new people.

----------

surface mini phone killing iPhone. hahaha. just like the surface destroyed the iPad. :rolleyes:

Yes, there's no better way to meet other iLunatics then camp out for 2+ weeks with them :rolleyes:

Maybe this is also the iLunatics dating service too...

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
How can the same person . . .

1. have the money for an iphone and the data plans
2. have no job for the next 2 weeks

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Not me. Not so far, and it's come up twice. Unemployment pays so little it's far more worth it to find a job. Both times I had a temp job within 2 weeks. And it's not like I'm dropping from CEO money to unemployment, I'm well under $100k salary.

Surely you can recognize that your situation doesn't apply to everyone. Some people aren't fortunate enough to find work within two weeks, and when they can't unemployment is there to help them until they do. We're getting sidetracked though, my original post was in response to the guy (not you) who said WE pay for people's unemployment. This isn't the case, which is all I was really trying to say.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012

No kidding.

Just... Why???

Insanity?

So THIS is what you do when you're an unemployed trust fund baby...

With no common sense.

I guess for fun.

...but DAMN that's a long time to sit in that semi-comfortable chair next to uncomfortable traffic.

I cannot imagine how that would be fun. Waiting in line for an hour would be boring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.