Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I think its time for Nestle and Google to get out there and hand out Kit Kat bars to the crowds.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You seem to be concerned so much that they are being a drag on you and me and everyone else, you don't just think of the simple "it's none of your business what they do with their time." This seems to be a common occurrence, the people who most want the government out of "their business" also want to be IN the business of everyone they see as "slacking"...

Also, the first two in line are confirmed to be a marketing stunt by an Apple reseller. So NONE of your theories are true for them.

Nope. You couldn't be more wrong about what I wrote. Go back and read it in context to the post I was responding too. It was simple devil's advocacy. I'm sorry you took it so personally, and also baffled.

I assure you I am not concerned one iota about campers. You are correct it's their time. And, I fully understand, and stated in another post, that anyone camping at this point is just a publicity stunt. I am unable to be critical of those who have camped for hours because I've been among them at times.

----------

I think its time for Nestle and Google to get out there and hand out Kit Kat bars to the crowds.

That would actually be a pretty funny gag -- though lost on anyone that isn't a super geek or tech freak. Also, just an aside in case some are confused about your reference to Nestles, in the U.S., Hersheys has the Kit Kat license.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
To be fair, when a person is employed they pay into unemployment with their tax dollars. You also have to qualify for unemployment, and to do so you need to have been employed. So we aren't exactly paying for their unemployment, they paid into it, and if you're ever unfortunate enough to lose your job you will get back some of the money that you've paid into it.

100% correct. I'm not leaching off society. I'm getting back what I put in (but not nearly as much).

But these line waiters are still idiots.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I never understood camping out.

Just preorder online if the option exists or go to the store a couple hours before launch.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
If you want it to be you just drop out of school and do it, these people clearly don't have any jobs, or else they couldn't camp out that long....

Haha, I'd rather finish school first. I'm doing Engineering so I figure I will be able to eventually. Gotta get the money to pay for my Apple Obsession somehow

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
Lets face it, Apple only cares about the China Launch, the US sales will be dismal.

I will wait till the Rumored Spring iPhone event for the iPhone 6 with the bigger screen and comparable 1024 Nokia camera. If I get board waiting will just pick up a Nokia 1024 Windows Phone.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
LOL wow. Honestly I never understood the whole "camping out" thing. It doesn't matter if its for a new iPhone, Black Friday sale, or the newest Xbox. Why not just order your stuff online? Lol there's no way in hell I'd ever wait in line for an iPhone or any other gadget, considering I can just order it online and have it delivered to my house. With the 5s, I'll simply preorder it and then go on with my day. Hell I'll probably be able to go into my local Verizon store and pick one up. I remember when the 5 launched, I actually drove by said Verizon store. Lol no lines. And that was at about 7am (was on my way to class) Say what you will about Samsung, but those commercials are spot on LOL

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Lets face it, Apple only cares about the China Launch, the US sales will be dismal.

I seem to remember that almost every iPhone launch people on here predict that the sales will be bad, then the sales end up going up over the previous one. Even if there aren't a ton of people who have the 5 who want to upgrade most people in the US are on two year contracts so those who bought the 4S when it came out will be wanting to buy this one since they are up for another upgrade. With all those people plus the apple fans that want to have the newest device no matter what the sales will be pretty good even if they don't grow over the 5 launch although I wouldn't be too surprised if sales do end up slightly up.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
So these people are camping for a product that (technically) doesn't exist yet, have no idea what the (official) features are, and may or may not (probably may) launch 2 weeks from now? o_O

Well, it does exist.....and the as far as what and when, most people can make an educated guess.

But like the story suggested, the early campers are most likely being paid to sit in line for 2 weeks.

----------

LOL wow. Honestly I never understood the whole "camping out" thing. It doesn't matter if its for a new iPhone, Black Friday sale, or the newest Xbox. Why not just order your stuff online? Lol there's no way in hell I'd ever wait in line for an iPhone or any other gadget, considering I can just order it online and have it delivered to my house. With the 5s, I'll simply preorder it and then go on with my day. Hell I'll probably be able to go into my local Verizon store and pick one up. I remember when the 5 launched, I actually drove by said Verizon store. Lol no lines. And that was at about 7am (was on my way to class) Say what you will about Samsung, but those commercials are spot on LOL

if the servers don't crash and you are fast enough to get one of the available pre-orders.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Nope. You couldn't be more wrong about what I wrote. Go back and read it in context to the post I was responding too. It was simple devil's advocacy. I'm sorry you took it so personally, and also baffled.

I assure you I am not concerned one iota about campers. You are correct it's their time. And, I fully understand, and stated in another post, that anyone camping at this point is just a publicity stunt. I am unable to be critical of those who have camped for hours because I've been among them at times.

Misread yours, then. And no, I didn't take it personally (the last time I waited in line for anything longer than an hour, not counting taking my kids to Disneyland, was for Star Wars Episode I, and friends paid me to wait in line there.) Others had been more negative, and I suppose I hit reply to yours seeing it as "in-kind". It is the over-righteousness of the complaints that bugs me.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
if the servers don't crash and you are fast enough to get one of the available pre-orders.
Meh, I'm not worried. I'm confident that I'll be getting my iPhone without much hassle or waiting. The Verizon store in my area never gets lines for iPhone launches. I could probably just walk in there on launch day and get one. And even if I do have to wait, it's still not that big a deal. It's just a phone

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Guys... this isn't 2007/8 anymore... you can order your iPhones online and have them on your doorstep on launch day now.

That was true even in 2007. There NEVER was a reason to camp in front of a phone store just to get a phone that you could always order online. I wonder how much of Apple's marketing money goes into this campaign...

----------

Does Apple pay these people to do this...hoping to create some media buzz?

That would be my bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.