Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Absolutely, I will, as much for principle of the matter as the objective failure in security. I believe that all congress between humans, economic congress included, is meant to be undertaken in good faith, which in terms of ethics may be defined as a state exceuted in the sincere belief or motive, lacking malice or the intention to defraud others. When one makes a purchase, one is given information, weighs the risks and costs against the benefits, and makes an informed decision whether for or against. In the contingency of the bypass being accurate as reported, then there are two possibilities: Apple was ignorant of the possibility or blatantly ignored the possibility. If the former, then we must accept that Apple, despite being a corporation on which we intrinsically rely for their technological expertise, was culpably ignorant, that is to say willfully ignorant of a bypass method discernible by any basic investigation. If the latter, then we must accept that Apple knew of the bypass possibility. discounted the possibility, but still did not inform end users that the possibility existed, nor correct the media that reported that neither severed digits or fake impressions would be able to pass the scan. Now, while these possibilities may or may not make Apple civilly liable, I cannot conceive of how they can be construed as other than constituting bad faith. A firm that willfully makes millions of sales, at a premium, with such practices and with so sensitive a consideration, is not worthy of my business.

Sadly I agree. If this "hack" is legit, then it points to either incompetence (given how well established this technique seems to be) or dishonesty for not having disclosed this weakness.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
Why fingerprint authentication by itself (and not as a part of 2-factor authentication) is felt to be better security perplexes me.

In general there are 3 different types of security. What you know (password), what you have (a card, nfc, passport etc), and what you are (biometrics). None of them are perfect, and each has advantages. The advantage of the finger print here is that it dramatically reduces the forced interaction with the user everytime he uses it. I personally do not use passcodes, because it is such an encumbrance to using the phone during the course of the day. TouchID improves my security without having an overly high cost of encumbrance and my phone in more secure... It has to work most of the time to make it worth it, and I think this is what does work here. I never used any of the other laptop thingies because they just never worked well enough.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
"Chaos Computer Club Bypasses Apple's Touch ID System"
Cool story bro, lol jk. I really don't care honestly. It will keep nosy people out of my phone from texts and my pics. Is not like I'm hiding FBI documents on my device or something.

kaos0271

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
I think the Chaos Computer Club needs to get out more. Maybe a stripclub, find a girlfriend, something.

Who realistically is going to go through all of that to hack into an iPhone.

Give me 50 Marines and a tank and I bet I can break into Fort Knox. Yeah, this is how stupid and unrealistic the touch screen hack sounds.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
which is in itself ridiculous. Phones get stolen and then wiped and sold. You are not that precious a snowflake that someone who steals your phone, wants to read your texts. :)

arn

Seriously what I've been saying! The NSA doesn't give a damn about you either!

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Ultimate Security...

Well said. No security is perfect. Touch ID will still be a strong protection against most intruders.

Next iPhone will incorporate Touch ID and retina scan while the user voices a password over FaceTime that Siri translates into Dutch to a secure server in the Netherlands rerouted to Ed Snowden in Russia for final verification.

On a serious note, I am certain Apple will respond with a software patch.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
What a stupid thread from paranoid readers.

Give me your house key, I'll make an impression with some silly putty and then make a copy...presto! I'm inside your home with all your personal stuff or stole your car.

Or spit out some saliva and I'll leave it at the crime scene and frame you.

Of course a real copy of your fingerprint will work. If the Apple ID cannot read a really good copy of your fingerprint...then it probably would have a high error rate reading your real finger.

The idea of the Apple finger sensor is to make it 1) easier to use than remembering a 4 digit code, esp. one that might me your birth year reversed, 2) convert a 3 step process into a 1 step way to unlock your phone...really useful if your use your phone 50 or more time a day and 3) yes, make your phone more secure because a finger print is better than a 4 digit code.

Plus the rate of acceptance probably will be higher than the password method.

It not meant to be fool proof, just a lot better than we have today.

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Not entirely true. In relative terms, you are more likely to break a 0000, 1234, 1111, than a 5317. Odds may be the same for any given 4 digit number in terms of randomness, but people use the same set of easy passlocks over and over. People don't follow the rules, thus your odds of breaking a 1234 are much better than breaking a 5317, just for the fact odds are that if someone is lazy they'll set it as such. Just like "password" and "12345" are always high on the list of passwords people use.

If you hand me a phone, and I have 10 tries, and not knowing the person, I already know which passwords I'm going to try. Given enough of a sample group, I'd crack more 1234 than 5317.

Let me try and explain . . . in the scenario I described, the phone is set to erase all content after 10 failed login attempts. So, the attacker has to successfully enter/guess the passcode within that limit.

With a 10-character set (0-9), there are 11,110 possible passcodes that can be created. The odds of an attacker guessing a four-character passcode out of 11,110 possible combinations in ten chances are pretty damn low. So, adding a fifth (or sixth, etc) character doesn't matter as you suggest.

That being said, people who steal iPhones know that people use weak passcodes such as 1234, or 1111, or 0000. These are weak because of how commonly they are used.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/-the-10-most-easily-stolen-atm-pins--184658424.html

So, if someone uses a four character passcode, and avoids the commonly used ones, or uses four numbers known to their spouse/friends (e.g., last four digits of your iPhone number, or the last four of your SSN), you should be OK.

I understand where you two are coming from, I was only commenting on the pure mathematical angle.

That said, To me, the people using simple pass codes, aren't really taking security seriously to begin with. I personally don't use simple passcodes. I can't really enter my passcode when driving, but that is actually a good thing ;) .

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
I cannot conceive of how they can be construed as other than constituting bad faith.

Do you think Schlage pre-informs customers about lock picking, or even more importantly bump keys? Do you think they don't know about it? Most people have no clue how easy it is to bypass the locks. Is it bad faith that they don't pre-inform?

How about that Apple can back door your password? Do they pre-inform you? Bad faith?

I think you judge way too harshly the ethical requirements.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Let me try and explain . . . in the scenario I described, the phone is set to erase all content after 10 failed login attempts. So, the attacker has to successfully enter/guess the passcode within that limit.

With a 10-character set (0-9), there are 11,110 possible passcodes that can be created. The odds of an attacker guessing a four-character passcode out of 11,110 possible combinations in ten chances are pretty damn low. So, adding a fifth (or sixth, etc) character doesn't matter as you suggest.

That being said, people who steal iPhones know that people use weak passcodes such as 1234, or 1111, or 0000. These are weak because of how commonly they are used.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/-the-10-most-easily-stolen-atm-pins--184658424.html

So, if someone uses a four character passcode, and avoids the commonly used ones, or uses four numbers known to their spouse/friends (e.g., last four digits of your iPhone number, or the last four of your SSN), you should be OK.

excuse me, but in which world do you get 11,110 combinations out of four digits?
it's not as bad as the guy claiming there are 40, but still...
jeesh.

exilus

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
I don't know about you guys, but most of my friends don't have password on their phone or they keep the same 4 digit pass for many years.

touch ID would be a massive improvement for them (if they buy a 5s).

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
if you use use a separate finger (e.g. your ring finger) than those commonly used to operate the phone (thumb, index), as the security ID and there unlikely will be any usable fingerprint on the phone, to lift off.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Looks like TouchID is just going to be limited to unlocking the iPhone and purchasing apps for a while.

The concern is that other companies will follow suit with biometric data used to unlock things, and make purchases. The nightmare scenario really is that biometrics become so widespread that somebody who can get your fingerprint like this process here can use it elsewhere to do some real damage. Identity theft is bad enough when it's just credit card numbers you have to change. You can't change your fingerprint.

Considering just how quickly the TouchID was shown to be vulnerable (which of course it was), I feel all the better about my decision not to use the feature when I get my 5s tomorrow. I will fight against biometric "security" every time it comes up in a consumer context. It's a terrible idea that needs to not become widespread. Regardless of Apple's particular implementation, other companies will see Apple doing it and copy it with varying degrees of precaution. I'm not going to encourage them.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Has anybody reputable reproduced this method? It's not a story until it's verified.

Until then, at best it's - hackers CLAIM to bypass Touch ID.

Oh, that's right. We'd rather have the wrong news first than real news. No wonder we're so easily mislead.

Chaos Computer Club is a very reputable organization. Read about them on Wikipedia.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
So, in the event that you see someone suspiciously approaching you with a cart containing a really high-end camera, laser printer, and various other supplies, know that your phone's data is in danger.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Chaos Computer Club is a very reputable organization. Read about them on Wikipedia.

Trust, but verify. Until there is independent confirmation of this tactic I remain somewhat skeptical. And "reputable" is not the word I would exactly use. They seem more blackhat than whitehat.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The concern is that other companies will follow suit with biometric data used to unlock things, and make purchases. The nightmare scenario really is that biometrics become so widespread that somebody who can get your fingerprint like this process here can use it elsewhere to do some real damage. Identity theft is bad enough when it's just credit card numbers you have to change. You can't change your fingerprint.

Considering just how quickly the TouchID was shown to be vulnerable (which of course it was), I feel all the better about my decision not to use the feature when I get my 5s tomorrow. I will fight against biometric "security" every time it comes up in a consumer context. It's a terrible idea that needs to not become widespread. Regardless of Apple's particular implementation, other companies will see Apple doing it and copy it with varying degrees of precaution. I'm not going to encourage them.

Relax dude, apple has done a great thing with touch id in the home button, itll provide much improved security for MANY people, and its safer then a passcode(only at night when your sleeping you are vulnerable) but are you going to be sleeping around untrustful people?

This will prevent alot of information from being stolen from people, no longer will people be able to look over your shoulder on the train or behind you and rob your phone and get into your phone because they peaked at your screen

Sure touch id isnt fool proof, and has its concerns, but its geniunely a great thing they added, tons of people DONT have passcodes on their phone but its so simple to scan your finger

...the REAL concern should be on how safe is the Touch ID encryption/TrustZone encryption thats new in the new ARMv8 architecture and whether people can geniunely get your finger print from the phone

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
So, in the event that you see someone suspiciously approaching you with a cart containing a really high-end camera, laser printer, and various other supplies, know that your phone's data is in danger.

lol seriously, that's a lot of detailed work. I'd rather save them the trouble and materials and unlock my device for them. Just silly I tell ya, silly.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Next iPhone will incorporate Touch ID and retina scan while the user voices a password over FaceTime that Siri translates into Dutch to a secure server in the Netherlands rerouted to Ed Snowden in Russia for final verification.

On a serious note, I am certain Apple will respond with a software patch.

Not sure how a software patch will fix a hardware issue.

Webduo

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Ugh...

Now it's getting stupid... This write up is pointless. The finger print feature will work for the common user and make stealing the phone less attractive and virtually impossible to break into for the common thief, especially for those that don't create a latex print (give me a break)... If you carry nuclear secrets, don't store them on your phone. Enough said, now go find something else to be irrationally critical of Apple over so we can all collectively roll our eyes again.

cdesigns

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
So if someone wants to copy my finger print they need to bring a scanner or take a picture of my finger "assuming" they know the finger I used, second they need to work on it photoshop and print etc etc. Unless they held me a gun point no one will be able to copy my finger print by just getting something I touch, they will have more luck trying the 9999 pin codes lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.