Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
This may have been said already, but shocker.... When you make a copy of the key, it too will open the door.

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
A thief who doesn't have something as common as a combo scanner/printer (about $70 at Staples, or $30 used, or free if stolen) and a computer, could just turn around and quickly sell the phone to someone who does.

Or not. As you said, most thieves don't give a hoot about breaking into the phone. They just want to resell it before it gets remotely locked down.

The scanner was not meant to be tightly secure. It was meant to be a convenience unlock feature. As you said, it's better than no or simple passcodes, which is pretty common.

It isn't about just the printer, the thief also has to hold you down and take a 2400dpi picture of your finger.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Why are we trusting this meth head who shakes their fingers it is so distracting...

jk oh boy, time for a software update...

kenwk

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
All these hoopla for a hack that will be difficult to duplicate in real world.

The guy that stole you iphone must be wearing (white) gloves or else his fingers will contaminate your prints on the phone.

After that the thief will need to find a perfect print from your phone that match the touch ID.

Even if he did manage to do all that, the phone will still be wiped from find my phone.

Not sure what is the real risk here.:rolleyes:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
It's more like Lithium or medication tremors if you ask me. Certain medications can make you have hand tremors -- I know from first hand experience.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It isn't about just the printer, the thief also has to hold you down and take a 2400dpi picture of your finger.

No... they have to take a 2400dpi picture of your fingerprint... you don't have to be there.

small_01-fingerabdruck+mate.jpg

But if a thief was gonna take a picture of your finger... why wouldn't he just have you unlock the phone and turn off any extra security? I mean... you're right there!

And then hopefully he'd send you on your merry way :)

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I think it remains to be seen what the facts here are but let's remember that touch ID is not designed to protect your phone from being stolen, That's what Find My iPhone and Activation lock are for.

Let's also give Apple some time to respond here so we can have a full picture of this story. I'm sure that some high level communications will be taking place tomorrow (or maybe right now) between senior Apple executives and our friends at AuthenTec across the river from where I sit now. One note I am considering that I will share. The founders of AuthenTec developed their technology while working at another local company, the Harris Corporation. Harris (here in our area) does almost exclusively Governmental work mostly for the military. So it's not too hard to conclude that this technology came from a defense application. I'm not fully ready to believe that it is as insecure as has been stated.

leesmith2

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Honestly this touch ID thing is for PPL who:
1) Don’t use any passcode in the first place
2) Tired of using passcode for everyday usage
If you are so important with top secret info in your phone then use a real password, end of story.

Also are there really anything that is 100% secure?

3.) or have kids that play games on your iPhone who like to make in-app purchases.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
MacRumors... umm.. time to lock this one. All the smart that was going to come from this one has already came. It was fun while it lasted.

----------

No, that's if you can't pick the same number more than once....

Edit: Ah, you saw your error....

What about the guy who said I have a 1 in 40 shot of guessing a 4 digit passcode? LOL Math is fun.

CL4W

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
A thief who doesn't have something as common as a combo scanner/printer (about $70 at Staples, or $30 used, or free if stolen) and a computer, could just turn around and quickly sell the phone to someone who does.

Or not. As you said, most thieves don't give a hoot about breaking into the phone. They just want to resell it before it gets remotely locked down.

The scanner was not meant to be tightly secure. It was meant to be a convenience unlock feature. As you said, it's better than no or simple passcodes, which is pretty common.
I am sorry but your point is moot. This is the same argument about a regular 4 number combination for a pass-code, it can be cracked.
Apple didnt intend for the feature to be un-hackable, its an added feature for security in general, period.
Apple didnt come out and say look at what we've done, we created a government proof security option, yay us...Its simply an optional feature that WILL deter thieves.

Its really NOT a big deal, people need to calm down and get back to their everyday lives. Besides, the NSA can crack ANYTHING there is out there, so sleep well Murica.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
But, my point is, most thieves don't care about your information:

iPhones are primarily stolen for the money they can get selling them.

iOS 7's Activation Lock, activated by turning on Find My iPhone for the stolen idevice, prevents anyone from using that idevice without entering your Apple ID & password. It is bricked.
(bold text added by me!)

I don't care about "most" thieves, just the ones that do care about my data.
If the phone isn't in my possession (bricked or not) I still don't have it (from a non-data financial data standpoint).

Activation lock doesn't stop someone from using the device, it stops someone from erasing/reactivating the device without your iCloud info (it stops them from using it as their own device).

Lost mode (activated after your device is gone) might stop them from using your device.

I'm not sure how much any of this is going to stop people from stealing my phone. I think they'll still steal them for a while (in hopes that it'll be cracked) and many can't tell the difference between phones when it's in a case (but they know it's a smartphone / iPhone). They might just end up switching to a chop shop mentality, the phone still has a good display, case and few other parts that they can use. They certainly aren't going to return it if it's of no use to them, it's going in the trash can...

Plus, I think the average thief probably flips through the texts and photo album looking for something interesting if they have the time.

Gary

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
No... they have to take a 2400dpi picture of your fingerprint... you don't have to be there.

No high-res cameras allowed in bars. New rule. And for sure, keep that 40MP Nokia camera out of there. You could get my prints from across the room.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Kaos vs Control

Kaos has done it again and Apple is sending agents Maxwell Smart and 99 to correct the problem.

This is the stupidest BS I've seen in my life. Who in the world would do anything like this, to crack an iPhone?
It is a lot easier to crack the stupid face password on the Samsung phones. Just put any picture of a user in front of the camera of the Galaxy and it will open up. A photo that could be taken from Facebook page or an actual photo or even on another phone. Now that is easy.
What Apple has done here this amazing. Of course, any thing can't be cracked, but the kind of money, time, and effort required to crack this, is huge.
It's just a phone for crying out loud!

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
I think we have to put "security" here into context. From what I saw and understood from the keynote, Apple seems to be positioning this as a convenient way to unlock your phone and of course if they just left it at that everyone would be up in alms going "What all that just to unlock my phone?!" and so they threw in "You can make iTunes purchases as well" which I guess they're testing the waters to see how effective this is as an authentication method.

So the way I see it, there are two main sets of concerns here.

1) Those concerned that their data is easily stolen, and
2) Those concerned that their phones will be stolen and resold

And maybe a combination of the two. I've seen some use-cases mentioned which are very plausible (i.e. celebrity phones etc) but then again how many of us are celebrities?

So for (1) if you are security minded/conscious, you are probably already using a "strong" passphrase and you can continue using this strong passphrase without enabling TouchID. Though personally, TouchID will enable me to have a strong passphrase and use the TouchID for convenience since (2) even if someone unlocks your phone, they cannot turn passphrase/activation lock/find my iPhone off without knowing your Apple ID password and/or existing passphrase. It will be a bummer that for a brief period (assuming they manage to break in before I can remotely wipe the phone) all my personal info will be accessible. That said however, if the person who stole your phone is chiefly interested in the data contained within said phone, then he/she probably can get around any security measures anyway by just plugging the phone in and running some software.

One interesting scenario that hasn't been discussed is law enforcement. I've read (I'm not from the US so forgive my ignorance of US laws) that they cannot force you to unlock your phone but with TouchID, don't they already have your prints and can't they just make a replica of it and unlock your phone? Would that be legal?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
The same why police "lift" prints from glasses in bars, car door handles, brass shell casing and so on. They have been doing this at crime scenes for nearly 100 years. No computers or high tech gadgets are required. I think the technique involves some kind of power and a paint brush.

My bet is that almost every iPhone user uses the same finger to unlock the phone and to select icons on the glass screen. So his un-lock print will be left of the front glass in many places.

LOL, Good luck.

----------

There is a simpler method. If they chop your finger, they will definitely be able to unlock the phone (contrary to some claims in the media)

Efficient AND brutal. I like this.

Mechanic

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
This whole thing is bs. A poor attempt to fake breaking in. First off the touch I'd sensor is not optical. Which can be fooled by a picture of your print. Touch Id uses an rf scan of the living tissue under your dermis (the outer layer of dead skin) and capacitance (slight electrical charge) to map the living tissue below the skin. If anyone has read how this sensor works they would know that it can read from behind glass and even from behind an LCD display. So reading the owners print through a thin film on his own finger proves nothing. Other than his dishonesty in trying to fool people.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

Nope. No need for that. Just scan your fingerprint left somewhere. The guy from CCC might have scanned his finger to simplify the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.