Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
i think u misunderstood. the chain of events should be like this:

im on my iphone home screen > push notification comes in, whether it be alert, vibrate, or badge, its there > i click whatsapp > i immediately can read the message, nothing has to load or anything like that. basically, as soon as the push notification comes in, whats app should "accept" it and be ready to display it instantly.

actually, we do not use push notifications to push messages around. push notification just tells that there is a new message and gives you some text of that message, but all the message communication is done via chat server backend. this way if apple fails to deliver a push notification message, you still have your messages safely saved for offline retrieval for when you start the application next time.

Dear JKB,

Whenever i bring up this important issue of dropped messages, it's ignored.

It's quite an important issue that a few friends have experienced, not just me. IT defines the whole future of your application - why use it if it may drop messages? Is there an issue or information that is being held back?

dropped messages issue is not ignored (even though maybe i just didn't answer it here). these issues will be solved by our message delivery acknowledgment system we are already working on (which will tell if your message was delivered to the server or to another iPhone)

Also, would be good if there's a reset somewhere, so that people changing sim or countries can set it up more easily instead of deleting and installing.

this is on our todo list.

I love an apps with a sense a humor so I'm definitely going to download it not to mention its free.

update: its no longer free. darn.

update II: could you make this work in the iPod Touch.

version 2.2 will support iPod touch. but if you have an iPhone, why would you want to install it on the iPod touch?

to1986

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
a friend of mine who has whatsapp, recently changed their number. now the contact doesnt appear on my favourites, and even if i add him to favourites manually it doesnt acknowledge he has whatsapp and wont let me start a new chat with him. how can i get around this?

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
a friend of mine who has whatsapp, recently changed their number. now the contact doesnt appear on my favourites, and even if i add him to favourites manually it doesnt acknowledge he has whatsapp and wont let me start a new chat with him. how can i get around this?

hmm... did you simply add new number to a contact or replaced old number with a number number? can your friend send you a message from his new number?

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Downloaded this to use with my wife (we are on the limited text plan and use most of those each month on each other) and it works great. Thumbs up.

Had trouble connecting once yesterday for a while but other than that it's been solid. Nice work.

Not sure if it's possible, but if this could be "ported" to other phones or to Mac/PC that would be fantastic.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
Downloaded this to use with my wife (we are on the limited text plan and use most of those each month on each other) and it works great. Thumbs up.

enjoy canceling your sms plan:)

Had trouble connecting once yesterday for a while but other than that it's been solid. Nice work.

Not sure if it's possible, but if this could be "ported" to other phones

yup, working on it

or to Mac/PC that would be fantastic.

nope, not working on it:)

cyrex78

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Dear Jkb well done as you have created one of the most useful application for the iphone, i have both whatsapp and ping and i can say whats app is more reliable than ping .

But i hope you consider changing the name to a more handy and easy name that we can incorporate when we use it or when we ask ppl to send us a message ( just like ping me ) or ( txt me ) or with for the BB user (pin me ).

A part from the that the app is amazing and i keep telling all my friends here in uk and even my friends in canada about it and they loved the app.

So keep up the good work and keep it free for people who already have it lol.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
Dear Jkb well done as you have created one of the most useful application for the iphone, i have both whatsapp and ping and i can say whats app is more reliable than ping .

thank you, we try to deliver a product our customers will truly love and appreciate. we know we are far from perfect in that regard, but we are working on it:)

But i hope you consider changing the name to a more handy and easy name that we can incorporate when we use it or when we ask ppl to send us a message ( just like ping me ) or ( txt me ) or with for the BB user (pin me ).

we are exploring a few potential names to switch to, but meanwhile you can simply say "whap me" or "wham me":)

jtwl

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Whatsapp in Malaysia

hi, i've been browsing this thread for a reply on nanohits queston re Whatsapp in Malaysia cos his brother had trouble logging. Unless his question has been resolved by the support@whatsapp and it has not been posted, my question is along the same lines.

I can't log in to it when i put my number in cos it says Malaysia not covered.
However i have 8 other friends with similar malaysian mobile numbers (iPhone is under the operator Maxis in Malaysia and we are all with Maxis) and they are able to log in.
I have another friend who is also unable to log in.

I'm particularly attracted to your App cos i understand you're gonna link it with WhatsApp Blackberry. Is that right?

And could you please help me with this so i can use whatsapp and recommend it to all my friends?
Thank you.

to1986

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
hmm... did you simply add new number to a contact or replaced old number with a number number? can your friend send you a message from his new number?

He just changed the number to a new number. He can still send me messages, its jsut I cant add him to my favourites. Its not a huge deal, but its irritating. If i were to delete the chat log i Have with him, i owuld not be able to start a new conversation with him as he does not appear on my favourites..any idea why this is happening?

Also I know you have been fiercely against the concept of IDs, but just looking around the net and what other people have to say about ping and whatsapp, its fairly clear thats whats doing it for ping. I mean just compare the two apps, ping is awful, it is a very amateur development, whereas yours is very professional and far more stable, ive stated this several times. I know you are against the idea but you seriously need to consider it, your app is just not getting any sort of coverage....in the UK you arent even i nthe top 50 paid apps, which is RIDICULOUS! can you not implement IDs as an option, without gettign rid of the feature of automatically adding people to favourites through their phone numbers? Surely that cant be a big deal. I think you need to realise that is what is allowing ping to grow so much faster. I know you are against, but if you ask a neutral person they like the fact they can give out an ID and not their phone number. Also you need to do some kind of advertising campaign, simply not enough people know about your app. Even making it free did not make the kind of impact it should have, so you seriously need to do something in the advertising department as well as consider IDs!

jtwl

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Trouble logging in

Dear JKB,

Thanks for this app. my friends are raving on about it as it's so much better than Ping!. The stability and consistency is what matters most they say.

Only problem is I can't get log on to it. When i put my number in, it says Malaysia not covered.
However i have 8 other friends with similar malaysian mobile numbers (iPhone is under the operator Maxis in Malaysia and we are all with Maxis) and they are able to log in.

could you please help me with this so i can use whatsapp and recommend it to all my friends?

Thank you.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
It's such a shame i've had to stop using this.

A message pops up on the homescreen but when i go into whatsapp, it's not there - messaging being dropped still. I can't rely on this for now so i'll wait for an update.

Great concept, hoping i can rely on it again. I notice the service of push to be inconsistent. :(

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
features request - put times in the chat so you can see when messages were sent just like text message time stamps

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
The latest update (2.2.788) is out!

My impressions:
- I'm glad you got rid of that annoying "connecting" pop-up.
- Time stamp for each message is a nice touch. However, enclosing them in bubbles was not a good idea. Now chat windows look too busy and messy in general. Have a look at the native Messages app; try to replicate its stamp style. Nothing is enclosed in bubbles except for messages themselves. Plain, simple and clear.
- What ever is team sissou???

More suggestions:
Please, include the native Messages app wallpaper (ultralight blue background) and make them chat bubbles more distinct and contrasting in colour in the next update.

P.S. Forgot to mention one more thing: whenever exiting the app from any chat window, let it open in the exact same window upon next launch.

TonyL08

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Got it for my nephew and his iPod touch. Disappointed to see you still need a cell phone number to use it even with the touch. I got him set up on my second line so he could use it but would like a way to assign a unique number to iPod users somehow.

Also noticed it doesn't work with Google Voice numbers? Or did I enter the number wrong. I would have tried again, but it only gives you two chances? Why?

Lastly, how would I change the initial number if I change my phone number for some reason.

Great app, but I'm not sure it's for me due to the reasons above. I plan to try it for a few weeks though. The price is so low, it's worth a shot if you're on the fence.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
- Time stamp for each message is a nice touch. However, enclosing them in bubbles was not a good idea. Now chat windows look too busy and messy in general. Have a look at the native Messages app; try to replicate its stamp style. Nothing is enclosed in bubbles except for messages themselves. Plain, simple and clear.

I'm more glad we have the option rather than not.. i agree, maybe a dark colour that looks a little faded and having it NOT in a bubble will make it look more like a reference/footnote than a big part of the chat. /COLOR]

- What ever is team sissou???

Possibly another joke? The last one was quite funny in the changelog :)

P.S. Forgot to mention one more thing: whenever exiting the app from any chat window, let it open in the exact same window upon next launch.

Agree - an annoyance!

Agree with ALL of this. Looking forward to feedback on this jkb?

Another question - can we turn on the 'last seen'. I feel like i'm being tracked!

RE the delivery report. Lots of users will find the S and the D hard to decipher and that information is not needed to the average user. I can imagine my girlfriend saying 'what's the D or S for?' How about a simple tick or cross to say if it's been read or not? (as long as it's technically possible to see if the message has been opened on the receiving device). Remember the apple design philosophy - simple works better!

We DO appreciate the update. Thanks! I hope it fixes the high rate of dropped messages so i can start using the app again! It was my most used app but i'll test it out with all my contacts and see if any messages get lost
in the washing machine..(which is worrying when you're trying to communicate!)

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I installed this a couple of days ago and so far it is the best IM app I have used. Yahoo was OK but the spam messages were annoying and the message time stamp was forever wrong. Ping was deleted after only 1 day of use as messages were not pushing reliably.

nard

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
I think for read message receipts a tick for read and x for not read is confusing to users, and might cause them to think that their message failed to send. the D/R is fairly common because of how Blackberry has implemented(x denotes failure to send), so even if you dont realize what the d/r is right away, someone on your contact list can probably explain, or you'll realize it yourself quickly.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
any of WhatsApp fans/users here have a bf/gf/wife/husband who is a blackberry user? would love to give you a beta link for them to try our BlackBerry app which is merging the two mobile worlds :)

PM me for the BlackBerry OTA link

dberg22

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
Beta Link

I would love to get the beta link my gf has a blackberry as well as a bunch of co-workers.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Does everyones timestamps work? Mine all say the same time (which is the time i've checked whatsapp) -is this a bug?

any feedback jkb on the timestamp placement in the above thread?

good news; no dropped messages as of yet. Must of been some serious bug in the last version.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
Does everyones timestamps work? Mine all say the same time (which is the time i've checked whatsapp) -is this a bug?

any feedback jkb on the timestamp placement in the above thread?

good news; no dropped messages as of yet. Must of been some serious bug in the last version.

next version will have an On/Off option for time stamps. as for why they show the same time - first time i hear of this. can i ask you to please check your date/month/year settings on the iPhone and make sure they are correct?

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
next version will have an On/Off option for time stamps. as for why they show the same time - first time i hear of this. can i ask you to please check your date/month/year settings on the iPhone and make sure they are correct?
Jan, why can't you understand that we are not asking you to make time stamps optional. What is bugging us is their placement and the fact that they are wrapped in bubbles, which gives the whole interface a very distracting and messy look. I know, I know, you're too concerned about time stamps' visibility on custom backgrounds. Well, there's a solution: default backgrounds + time stamps without freakin' bubbles AND custom backgrounds + time stamps wrapped in bubbles. Voilà! What d'ya think?

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008

Same thing happens here, when in the app having a live chat the timestamps work fine, but when i exit and go back into the chat all the timestamps reflect the current time. If i look at the list of different chats the time does still show the last time that contact sent a text. My phone time/date is set ok, and i'm not jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.