Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
i deleted the app..has absolutely no use to me..everyone i know has unlimited text..this doesnt add any features to my existing sms, it simply adds another unused icon

i guess you don't have any friends in other countries you want to SMS with? that sucks... making friends outside of your country is good -- free place to crash when you travel:)

the ONLY thing that would bring me back to this app is group messaging, which the developer isnt releasing for a while..so there goes that

group chat is not an easy thing to tackle, but we are starting to work on it on monday. we are finishing the final touches with the 2.2 release today. release 2.1 has been waiting apple approval for about two weeks now.. *sigh*

to1986

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
i have started to use the FB page today in addition to twitter. didn't realize i could post on it's wall. thanks for the marketing help:)

both of these items are on the todo list.

I delved a little deeper into the difference between a fan page and an application page. Personally I think it might be of use to have a fan page as well, which by the looks of it you might have deleted lol. It might be a hassle keeping hte both of htem going but here are the beneifts:

1) Fans can invite friends, which you can't do on an application page, so you can get free word of mouth promotion that way. This is the most important benefit in my opinion.

2) it has a photos tab, which again doesnt seem to be present on the application page. Not a big deal but all your screenshots can be in one place

3) a fan page comes up on the main search, where as an application page doesnt. Its mroe likely people will see the fan page by chance.

These arent big things, but I think they are worthwhile as they will help with promotion. Ideally t would have been better to just have a fan page initially instead of the application page but you werent to know. If you have the time I think it worthwhile to have a fan page as well.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
I delved a little deeper into the difference between a fan page and an application page. Personally I think it might be of use to have a fan page as well, which by the looks of it you might have deleted lol.

lol, deleted it a few minutes ago. i was trying to link app page to twitter account and it wouldn't work, so i thought FB was confused. i deleted the fan page and kept the app page, but it still didn't work. looks like a FB bug since i got an error saying app pages can't be linked to twitter. so there another reason for a fan page, but i already have 700 app users who i am not sure will move easily into a fan page.

to1986

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
lol, deleted it a few minutes ago. i was trying to link app page to twitter account and it wouldn't work, so i thought FB was confused. i deleted the fan page and kept the app page, but it still didn't work. looks like a FB bug since i got an error saying app pages can't be linked to twitter. so there another reason for a fan page, but i already have 700 app users who i am not sure will move easily into a fan page.

Firstly thank you for listening and making the app free with the update, believe me it will work wonders for u. I haven't used it enough yet to give u feedback on the update.

Secondly just put a link on the wall of your app page telling everyone to join the fan page, and promote it by saying they can invite all their friends and tell them about whatsapp. It's a perfect way to make people aware of it. For example if there are a 100 people on the fan page, and
all of us invite our whole contacts list, 20 of whom have an iPhone, that's straight away 2000 fans. Can you see how your app will grow with a fan page. Let me know when you create one, and make sure you post a link on the app page wall.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
The new update is great. Love the new icon and the landscape ability. Very nice! Plus I love the ability to change the chat background. Great update.

pixelbrat

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
Ellijay, GA
Just wanted to jump in and say that me and my hubby really like this app so far. We are both former blackberry users so it's been a challenge to find a messenger app that we like. We LOVE that you can see the other person is typing! Excellent feature. If you can work out a way to do delivery and read receipts like the BB messenger as well then this app would really be a hit. So far it's a great start. Keep up the great work and keep the new features coming! :D

knightskid

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
How come it is giving it free? And with the latest update as well. Thats was great for me to give it a try.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I think it's meant to be a joke. I looked it up on wikipedia and this is what I got:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

Basically it's the sending information using pigeons and was intended on being and April Fools' joke.

i'm laughing even harder as i thought it was serious enough to ask! thanks.

DEV - i had a dropped message again. I posted this before but no reply. What's up with whatsapp? ;)

EDIT: this update is giving me lots of problems. Messages don't push up UNLESS i open the app. You could never think you have one unless you continually check!
EDIT2: this is not only me but happening to others i know who have updated

look forward to the reply

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Developer, here is what you need

- The ability to read messages offline. Get rid of the obtrusive CONNECTING dialog that pops up. Its the most annoying thing. I sometimes need to read messages when I dont have a network connection.
- I know you said the D/R things will come in the two versions from now, but get it in now. Two app versions, with the approval process, can be like 12 weeks away.
- Messages keep appearing twice
- Push Notifications: when I get a push notification, when I go into the app i hate that it needs to then load that message and then vibrates when I go into the app as well.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy

- The ability to read messages offline. Get rid of the obtrusive CONNECTING dialog that pops up. Its the most annoying thing. I sometimes need to read messages when I dont have a network connection.
- I know you said the D/R things will come in the two versions from now, but get it in now. Two app versions, with the approval process, can be like 12 weeks away.
- Push Notifications: when I get a push notification, when I go into the app i hate that it needs to then load that message and then vibrates when I go into the app as well.
Ditto.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
More bugs

Here are a couple of bugs

- Incorrect time on conversation. To replicate this, receive a push message and dont check it for a couple of minutes. Then, load the app and view your "Chats" list. The time next to that chat will be the time that you loaded the app again, not when you received the message. However, if you are viewing the convo the timestamp is correct.
- If I have someone in my address book and they have a + before their number and they didnt set it that way in Whats app it wont display their name.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California

yup, was annoying me too. this is changed this for 2.2 version we are submitting tomorrow. we have an email-like behavior

starting to work on D/R actually tomorrow and should be done in a few days. will be in version .3

this is caused by wallpaper change. we fixed this in upcoming 2.2 release.

vibrate just means you got a new message. there is an option to disable vibrate under Settings > Chat Settings

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
vibrate just means you got a new message. there is an option to disable vibrate under Settings > Chat Settings

i think u misunderstood. the chain of events should be like this:

im on my iphone home screen > push notification comes in, whether it be alert, vibrate, or badge, its there > i click whatsapp > i immediately can read the message, nothing has to load or anything like that. basically, as soon as the push notification comes in, whats app should "accept" it and be ready to display it instantly.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
i think u misunderstood. the chain of events should be like this:

im on my iphone home screen > push notification comes in, whether it be alert, vibrate, or badge, its there > i click whatsapp > i immediately can read the message, nothing has to load or anything like that. basically, as soon as the push notification comes in, whats app should "accept" it and be ready to display it instantly.
Exxxactly, mrzeve!! Extremely annoying!!

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Dear JKB,

Whenever i bring up this important issue of dropped messages, it's ignored.

It's quite an important issue that a few friends have experienced, not just me. IT defines the whole future of your application - why use it if it may drop messages? Is there an issue or information that is being held back?

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
My friends and I love the app. Thanks for putting the time and effort into this.
Sister just paid for the app. Like 10mins after the "free" status was over. haha.

Anyway, my good friend suggested the app name "Wattzapp". Sounds like WAZZZZZUP, off the Carlsberg advert. Cooler in our opinion. :)
--

Oh, my sis couldn't get verification pin. Tried deleting and installing the app a few times. Still didn't work. Then I went to the phone settings on the new iphone and input the number. The app just worked.

Also, would be good if there's a reset somewhere, so that people changing sim or countries can set it up more easily instead of deleting and installing.

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
what smartphone platforms do most of your friends have? we know that Symbian is really popular in europe, but in USA, iPhone and BlackBerry own something like 80% of the smartphone market.

we are in the process of developing the app for other smartphones, but PalmPre and Android smartphone marketshare is so small, it hasn't been a high priority for us yet.

we are a bunch of hippies who don't believe in money. LOL, just kidding.

to be honest our biggest issue right now is not money but growing the user base (since app only works when others use it). i can say with 99% certainty that app will always stay free.

I love an apps with a sense a humor so I'm definitely going to download it not to mention its free.

update: its no longer free. darn.

update II: could you make this work in the iPod Touch.

teealtee

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Verification Code

I bought this app and installed it, put my number in and it said it would send me a 3 digit code.. so I waited, and waited.. and waited some more, no code.. STILL!

I have LOADS of friends with iPhones and was going to try and communicate with all of them via this.. well, that's if my verification code ever decides to get to me!

why oh why am I still waiting for the code!? I've tried deleting it several times, reinstalling it.. doing my number with the 0, without the 0.. emailed the developers.. nothing! frustrating to say the least.

I've checked my notification settings, and they're all set to ON.

I want to pass the good word about the app on, but.. what's the point if it's quite clearly not sending people their codes?!

is this the case with ping?! I don't wanna give up on this app.. and would like some assistance in getting it working.

:mad:

teealtee

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
scrap that!

well it seems all of my badgering worked! they got back to me just now with a code, app seems ok so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.