Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I hate gold, it's basically yellow metal.

Now nothing against girly things but there is nothing in my house that is yellow or gold, i can't even think of a single item, why in hell would you want a yellow phone!

Those that wanna be ballers can go get it dipped or customised please for everyones sanity just do black and white and keep it classy.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Something like Kardashian gold iPhone? :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 57

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I hate gold, it's basically yellow metal.

Now nothing against girly things but there is nothing in my house that is yellow or gold, i can't even think of a single item, why in hell would you want a yellow phone!

Those that wanna be ballers can go get it dipped or customised please for everyones sanity just do black and white and keep it classy.

Black and white are so dated. Your wanna be chic house needs to be dipped. Why the hell would I let you dictate what I should want?

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
A gold plated iPhone will only make bigger the assertion in the 3rd world that "The iPhone is just for rich people".

Enmanuel

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Boston
a blue or green version would have been much better, but this one looks great too.

Gold is not a color, that´s why it´s possible instead of this. in terms of metals and ¨color¨, gold is the opposite to silver, so it would still be a neutral material in a way and would keep in line with the flagship model being premium. painting something to make it look better would fall in line more with the line of thought behind lower cost products like the 5C.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
A new level of tackiness for the iPhone. Gold, seriously?
What are they thinking?

There thinking they will sell the heck out them in China and India (and Hollywood). Apple is global. Western tastes can't completely rule in Cupertino.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Gold/Champagne is a good choice. There's only so many colors you can use on aluminum, and Apple has to start differentiating the iPhone from all of the copy cats. You used to be able to tell an iPhone by it's white color, but now Samsung and every other phone maker has white has their flagship color.

I'll definitely be getting the gold color just because it will take a while for Samsung to copy it.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
What makes me laugh about many of the posts here hating on the idea of a "gold" or champagne colored iPhone is that IF Apple does this YOU ALL KNOW Apple will do it right. When have they made a product that was cheap and tacky to look at? Come on you guys stop trippin'. This isn't Dell or Alienware.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Gold is ugly to North Americans but the Chinese eat that stuff up. They are a bigger market and force trends more than us

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I really don't like it. Neither Jony or Steve would/should approve of this.

It might not be the 'in thing' in the US, but Asian territories love gold (or champagne gold). Lots of luxury brands have had to create gold/champagne gold versions for their Asian market.

Besides, there are some people out there who actually like this colour. White and black? So bland.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
This'll do fantastic in India, China and the Middle East

Not my cup of tea here in the U.S. (guessing there'll be a few takers but not alot here) - but in India, China and the Middle East where tastes can be different and gold is much more popular, it'll do great.

That seems a great reason for Apple to go with it (especially with the expectation that they'll gain large scale access to China this year). It'd be the same if Samsung was offering a gold S4 as well (next year for them).

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I think what they could be going for is Metallic for the higher end iPhones and different bright colors in plastic for the lower, cheaper iPhones. I can see them coming out with even more metallic colors in following iterations. Bronze and gunmetal for instance.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It might not be the 'in thing' in the US, but Asian territories love gold (or champagne gold). Lots of luxury brands have had to create gold/champagne gold versions for their Asian market.

Besides, there are some people out there who actually like this colour. White and black? So bland.

According to MG Siegler gold is one of the most popular after market color/case options for iPhone. I doubt that just applies to Asia. Heck my nephew, who is a whiter than white suburban kid from middle America has his iPhone in a gold case. As I've said before I'll reserve judgement until I see it. Apple might just punk us all and sell a tone or champagne/gold iPhones in western markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.